Compacts - what to buy as a secondary car?

Lann

Hello!

As the title suggest we are looking to get a secondary car once my oldest gets her licens. I do not know much about those type of cars, but we are looking a something in the size of a Blista or Club.

I figured I ask in here to see if we can get some ideas and advice. Looking to spend about £$ 10k.

Priority is:

• Safety
  • Reliabilty
  • Price
  • 5 seater

As much as I am fighting the idea of a fun fast sporty car with 200+hp and 4wd, we will not go that way (this time).

VW Polo

Peugeot 208

Opel Corsa

Hyundai i10

Suzuki Swift or most other Japanese marques - Nissan Micra, Honda Jazz

Ford Fiesta

Seat Ibiza

So many!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lann said:

2019 mazda 3?

I’d class the Mazda 3 more as a small family car than a compact, but it is said to be a very good car. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheFox2000unit said:

As a mechanic who works daily on all of these cars, I would recommend...... NONE OF THEM!  Walk.  Trust me. 🤣

Is there a reliable smaller car?

16 hours ago, TheFox2000unit said:

As a mechanic who works daily on all of these cars, I would recommend...... NONE OF THEM!  Walk.  Trust me. 🤣

what do you drive, Fox?

Not a fiat 500, horrible hateful machines, should all be grouped together and set on fire to rid us of the horribleness of their being

Edited by CatManDoza
  • Like 1

50% Cat 50% Man 110% Bellend

14 hours ago, Fido_le_muet said:

My Fiesta was a pretty good car. Definitely recommend it but be sure to go for the 1.0 100hp Ecoboost engine. 

They are notorious for blowing engines.  Something wrong with the cooling system, too.

• Sad 1

• 4 months later...

I've been looking for a used car, something similar as you, for myself as well lately, though a few years older (closer to 10 years old) and have narrowed my selection to either a Ford C-Max, Toyota Auris, Mazda 3 (a generation older thanyours above) or even a Peugeot 308, Opel Astra or Citroen C4 Picasso. Something reliable-ish, not expensive to maintain, mostly to be able to drive to work (15min commute) that can also get me uphill in snowy condition (living in rural hilly area has its "perks"). Almost certain it will be a diesel.

I could opt for a Volvo V50 of about the same age for similar price, but am hesitant about the upkeep costs on top of more expensive insurance/road tax because of its power. Same goes for any Mercedes (A/B class) or BMWs (3), eventhough they are available for similar money.

3 hours ago, zmurko said:

I've been looking for a used car, something similar as you, for myself as well lately, though a few years older (closer to 10 years old) and have narrowed my selection to either a Ford C-Max, Toyota Auris, Mazda 3 (a generation older thanyours above) or even a Peugeot 308, Opel Astra or Citroen C4 Picasso. Something reliable-ish, not expensive to maintain, mostly to be able to drive to work (15min commute) that can also get me uphill in snowy condition (living in rural hilly area has its "perks"). Almost certain it will be a diesel.

I could opt for a Volvo V50 of about the same age for similar price, but am hesitant about the upkeep costs on top of more expensive insurance/road tax because of its power. Same goes for any Mercedes (A/B class) or BMWs (3), eventhough they are available for similar money.

Maybe a Subaru, to get 4wd.