Chatbox Use

JustHatched

I've made some changes you all might want to be aware of to the chat box.

Up until now RSCnet has been using 2 different types of chatboxes, one for the main chat box on the forum index and one in the crew areas, I have opted to use the crew area style box the only one used.

For those whom may not know, on the forum index there is a chatbox just under the recent videos, you gotta have 1000 posts to access it or buy a subcription to the site.

All should see Chatbox on the bottom right of your screen, depending on your access you will see Conversations and Rooms. 

Conversations - you can have one on one conversations or group conversations, anyone with 10 posts on the forum can start a conversation, click on someones profile and then click chat to start a one on one, to start a group conversation click on the bottom right box, then click the hamburger icon and then create group.

Rooms - this will show all the chatrooms you have access to, the main chat and crew chat will appear here.

Crew Chat Room - your crew area is able to have a chat room that only those in your crew can use regardless of amount of posts. This feature is currently reserved for well established crews of RSCnet and it is optional ( @JuniorChubb, I know VANS isn't currently using this, but can you check to see if you are able to add it if you wanted to?).

This chat system has a few settings so you can tailor the chatboxes to suit you, I recommend tweaking at needed

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

Where do I find the settings from the chatbox? And is it possible to swap the order of the tabs? (Rooms before conversations)? And what is the meaning of the numbers in front of the rooms? Because they are not unread posts ( the really usefull information) ...

12 minutes ago, Spinnaker1981 said:

Where do I find the settings from the chatbox? And is it possible to swap the order of the tabs? (Rooms before conversations)? And what is the meaning of the numbers in front of the rooms? Because they are not unread posts ( the really usefull information) ...

The numbers are probably the users in chat.

Not sure about the other stuff.

6 hours ago, Spinnaker1981 said:

Settings is the hamburger icons, there isn't alot in regards to settings.

I have inquried about swapping conversations and rooms, I could do it but if I can get the dev to make a default method for it then it would make upgrades later easier.

The number is the amount of people in the room.

I've seen your shouts regarding your dislike to the chat, I certainly appreciate your feelings about it but I don't entirely understand them. It's just a real time chat app, and its a small footprint on the screen of a mobile. Unless I am mistaken you are bothered by lack of notification from chat? There nothing I can do for that, chat here will most likely never have notifications in any form but the alternative will be more harmful to the webste than good, Doscord being the alternative. I have recenty been looking a discord integration but  it most certainly would draw people away from the website, at the same time it is a far better real time chat but this site main purpose isn't real time chat, if about have threaded content that can be easily found thru a search which is somethig discord can't do.

All that said, I am very much middle of the road person regarding chat on a forum, chat does keep spammy posts off the forum but at the same time it keeps posts off the forum, but people are on the website so thats half the battle. My feelings about discord aren't a secret, I don't like it but I haven't ruled out an intregation, others have successfully did it and others have killed their sites using it. I'm in no hurry but I am researcing the best way to use it.

Notifications as a whole, I'm not sure how you have your notifications set. I have most set to highlight the bell at the top of the site, I usually check those first when I pop on the site, real important stuff I have set to email and put a notice on the bell. I do have some set to notify me thru the mobile app but have nver recieived any yet when I should have, I don't know if this is an error on my part or tht fact it is still a beta app, I haven't dug into it yet.

I think overall you are in the moniority @Spinnaker1981 on the chat, and if your aren't you are the only one (or one of very few) whom are vocal about it, so it probably won't change anytime soon.  On motifications, I assume you have these set up however you want them in your account settings and have downloaded the mobile app beta? 

At some point once folk get use to using the chatbox pop up in the bottom right I will probably take the widgit off the forum index, but folks need to get use to the newish method before I give anyone a stroke.

• Like 1

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

3 hours ago, JustHatched said:

Settings is the hamburger icons, there isn't alot in regards to settings.

I have inquried about swapping conversations and rooms, I could do it but if I can get the dev to make a default method for it then it would make upgrades later easier.

The number is the amount of people in the room.

I've seen your shouts regarding your dislike to the chat, I certainly appreciate your feelings about it but I don't entirely understand them. It's just a real time chat app, and its a small footprint on the screen of a mobile. Unless I am mistaken you are bothered by lack of notification from chat? There nothing I can do for that, chat here will most likely never have notifications in any form but the alternative will be more harmful to the webste than good, Doscord being the alternative. I have recenty been looking a discord integration but  it most certainly would draw people away from the website, at the same time it is a far better real time chat but this site main purpose isn't real time chat, if about have threaded content that can be easily found thru a search which is somethig discord can't do.

All that said, I am very much middle of the road person regarding chat on a forum, chat does keep spammy posts off the forum but at the same time it keeps posts off the forum, but people are on the website so thats half the battle. My feelings about discord aren't a secret, I don't like it but I haven't ruled out an intregation, others have successfully did it and others have killed their sites using it. I'm in no hurry but I am researcing the best way to use it.

Notifications as a whole, I'm not sure how you have your notifications set. I have most set to highlight the bell at the top of the site, I usually check those first when I pop on the site, real important stuff I have set to email and put a notice on the bell. I do have some set to notify me thru the mobile app but have nver recieived any yet when I should have, I don't know if this is an error on my part or tht fact it is still a beta app, I haven't dug into it yet.

I think overall you are in the moniority @Spinnaker1981 on the chat, and if your aren't you are the only one (or one of very few) whom are vocal about it, so it probably won't change anytime soon.  On motifications, I assume you have these set up however you want them in your account settings and have downloaded the mobile app beta? 

At some point once folk get use to using the chatbox pop up in the bottom right I will probably take the widgit off the forum index, but folks need to get use to the newish method before I give anyone a stroke.

@JustHatchedI have said it before, and please don’t think I don’t appreciate your effort, but it is something that has, at times, drawn me back from the crew, not being able to get a real time notice when people tag me or talk in topics I have an interest in. 

That being said, the app doesn’t work on my phone, or it is me that doesn’t have a clue, mainly because I cannot register in it, it always come back as lacking some sort of human verification, but that is not an option on the registration screen...