Xbox Series S Reveal & Launch Date

Is this their next-gen console?  What's that called again?  Microsoft's branding on the Xbox has been f*cking awful ever since they decided to call Xbox 2 Xbox 360.  

Just now, LimeGreenLegend said:

Is this their next-gen console?  What's that called again?  Microsoft's branding on the Xbox has been f*cking awful ever since they decided to call Xbox 2 Xbox 360.  

Series X is the full size model.

I agree, branding is confusing. They already have Xbox One X on the market, their next-gen console will have an almost identical name. 

• Like 1

I think the dimenions of it according to my measurement will be 10.2 inches x 5.9 inches x 2.4 inches, it seams insane that they could get it to be so small but then I remembered that in their 1st disc less Xbox One only the drive & a few components were removed while keeping the original dimensions.

Edited by Smurf

6 minutes ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

Its the same with their processors confusing as hell as it relates to their naming scheme, an Intel reprisentative was revealing a processor a few days ago & lets just say I had a chuckle. If the rep had to skip over the name of a Intel processor that he is presenting to the world but in the same breath plainly name their rival company processor in detail, its time to revamp all Lake's, i3, i5, i7 ......etc nonsense.

• Like 1

Wasn’t the infamous red ring of death caused by overheating?

A small case could cause the same issues. Nothing to worry about though, to solve the red ring problem didn’t they just remove the red LEDs?

I don’t mind if the PS5 is huge if that means it’s getting adequate cooling for the system. 

• Like 2

If you're not fussed which console you play (or are buying a first console) the price of the Series S must be a big factor in which one you buy. Even without the ability to play discs...

I can't help but think the PS5 is going to look really expensive compared to the Xbox's

@Squirrel I think that's why my PS4 Slim is dead, blue light of death recently. The X Xbox Series X version has a 70% increase in airflow over its predecessor.

This S Version while standing upright has a bigger air intake on it's side than the air outtake on the top, so unless the fan speed is clocked higher than the X or it's vented at the at bottom as the X is, it's best to assume warm air will circulate inside for a bit. So I wouldn't play it at the 4K level at all, games would be played at 1440P.

I would push it to its limits while it had a warranty. If they build a powerful console just to let it burn up from a poor case design, that's their fault.

No matter, the 30xx series GPUs start dropping in a week or two. 

Discless is the best option because in 2020 physical media is a thing of the past. Trying to figure out what to do with the mountain of DVDs and CDs I have collecting dust, lol.

17 hours ago, Sinister said:

If they build a powerful console just to let it burn up from a poor case design, that's their fault.

No matter, the 30xx series GPUs start dropping in a week or two. 

Discless is the best option because in 2020 physical media is a thing of the past.

I expect to see vents at the bottom & to the back of the S tbh. Repair Guys see more PS4'S come in because a roach can simply walk into your power supply from the back, die & fry components inside simultaneously lol. 

I can only but hope Sony took the appropriate steps to carbon copy Xbox design with the many tiny holes this go around.

• Like 1

These new machines will be making some serious heat so I hope they were smart about case design and airflow. Of course many time the opposite is true, especially with mass produced items where cost is the main concern.

• 2 weeks later...

Microsoft has just bought Bethesda. This could mean the end of Elder Scrolls and Fallout on the PlayStation. 

The one area Xbox failed badly was for console exclusives and this is a chance to redress that balance. 

Just Microsoft trying everything they can to gain the number one position and hold on to it. 

Here soon everyone with Game Pass on PC and Ultimate on Console will have free access to the EA Play system.