What's Under The Hood?

SkyeDave

4 minutes ago, Trashbags said:

great night @SkyeDave realy enjoyed the car switching thx mate

Seconded, the waiting at the start of each race could be a pain, BUT, it's to be expected and was funny siting for people to make their decisions. 

Well done @SkyeDavewell done. Your new nickname is stock car skye

Edited by CatManDoza
  • Like 3

50% Cat 50% Man 110% Bellend

Wish I could’ve stayed longer. Great fun... I had 3 redwoods, 2 dukes, 2ruiners. 2 blades, 2 gauntlets and 2 phoenixs ready to dazzle the sh*t out of everyone and still ended up with stock cars every time... 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Absolutely cracking night Dave - I didn't even mind the long waiting cause you were always wondering and thinking about what you were going to do. And the racing was balanced, and slow enough to enjoy and fight... easily one of my favourite events. Thank you so much for inviting me. 

• Like 2

Thanks to everyone who came out for 'Whats Under the Hood?  Everyone was so well prepared, reading all the rules beforehand and bringing such a collection of varying cars, it made it a pleasure to host.

It was less about the driving and more about the conniving.  Having the opportunity at the start of each race to steal each others cars leading to  the inevitable bluffs and double bluffs that would always leave someone flailing behind plotting their revenge for the next race.   After last night there are some cars that have been hewn into the rock as iconic legends of the muscle class which shall be recognised in all future races and feared if, heaven forbid, we ever do this again.  

The award for best driven car of the night goes to  Esers yellow Dukes which seemed to be in most races on the night in a different spec .  Unfortunately for Eser, it wasn't him who was driving it at the time.  It seemed to be put to best use by @Mark Verstappen as the video link will testify with not one but two overtaking manoeuvres. (The yellow Sabre I was drinking was infact fully upgraded, Stappen is just that much better in the rain).  In the other clip thats him lapping us.... The Dukes proved a popular choice.  @Trashbags kept attempting to slip under the radar with a matt black version which was becoming pretty sought after towards the end. In the final clip Badingaa can be seen lapping most of the field in a suspiciously stock looking blue one.   @CatManDoza and Mulder both had suspicious looking white ones.  I chose Catmans which was fast, too fast and I can be seen driving it off a cliff in the first clip.  @Challenger001 fell for my red stock looking one but when I tried to bring out the fast version in the next race, @mulder saw right through it, stole it and left me with something sh*t. Which leads us into....

The award for 'All show and no go'  goes to the red and black Sabre Turbo belonging to @mulder which I kept picking, determined for revenge, convinced he must have brought the fast one out at some point but each time failing to wheelie of the startline and knowing I had been out outfoxed (no offence Badingaa) by my brother once again.

The award for most stolen car of the night goes to Warriors Matt Black Phoenix with a rear spoiler that doubled as an ironing board. It was suspected to be a ricer when it turned up at the meet but once it's racing pedigree was spotted during the first race, everybody was determined to get a shot of it and most people did.  Exluding Warriors of course who didn't get to drive it all night.

The award for lest trustworthy car of the night goes to The Redwood Gauntlet.  @Challenger001 and @CatManDoza kept throwing these in there and they in various specs and they caught a few people out.  Most notably @JuniorChubbin the final race who put up a good fight with Catman despite him being in a modded version. Although I think it was less about Chubbs heroics and.more about Catman hanging around to taunt him.  @Spinnaker1981 has just confessed he had three of them prepared so what a shame he had to leave early or it the Redwood may have doubled down on it's award by pissing off even more people on the grid. I will never look at one the same way again.

Ugliest car of the night goes to @Paulie for his lime green and black Ruiner.  Two of which appeared on the night, one ridiculously slow one which he palmed off on to someone else and one which turned out to be very quick but Paulie didn't get to drive it.  I can be seen crashing it in the video.

The award for 'Most threatening behaviour' is tied between Badingaa and Ginger who would do those little laps of the grid, circling like vultures before ultimately just sticking with what they had.  Ginger deserves extra mention for his victimisation of Warriors throughout the night which I think was something we all enjoyed. 

Observation of the night goes to Warriors for not only pointing out that Stap choosing to only add better brakes and full armour was in fact just making a slow car even better at being slow.

So finally, what you've all been waiting for.  The results.  I stayed up all night, doing some calculations here and implementing minor rule changes there, accounting for windspeed, subtracting for choice of haircut and eventually came up with the almost unbelievable results below

ap_2107C093-1F4C-48CE-AB86-2532AD4D5BF9.thumb.JPEG.d9a900ad6d5b4357a4000524c2153670.JPEG

So a big congratulations to Badingaa who takes the crown at the inaugural 'What's Under The Hood? 2020'.  

Thanks again to everyone for taking part, not least for your patience on the grid while we got it all sorted out.

There will of course be notable cars and moment I missed so feel free to add any other observations.

I'm going to go and fill a garage with red and black Sabre Turbos and then set them on fire one by one.

Edited by SkyeDave
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Amazing event @SkyeDave and an even so amazing write up! My racing went very sh#tty but great fun overall.

Think I was lucky for about 3 races but so much fun before and during the way and screwing Warriors over in the first 2 races were my highlights of the night.

Still gutted I didn't have any F1 wheels on my cars for the night it would have turned out so different 😅

And very very gutted to notice my only notation is on my highly modified Ruiner that turned out to be worst looking, without F1 wheels that is, so please just shoot me 😅

Next time I defo going to only steal other cars and take the gamble because overall that seemed safer than sticking with your own car because somehow only beside Warriors, I seemed to be an open book that everybody sees through immediately 😅

Cheers Dave for making it happen and to your brother for holding your hand going through it all 😆 I can't wait for your next blog post event!

• Like 2

It’s good to see the best man come out on top by the end of the night. And 2nd, 3rd , 4th, 5th.........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, JuniorChubb said:

Great video @SkyeDave, you pretty much mastered Editor in 5 days!

I think it's all that time spent working on set watching directors and thinking I could do better.  Turns out it's not rocket surgery after all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SkyeDave said:

I think it's all that time spent working on set watching directors and thinking I could do better.  Turns out it's not rocket surgery after all.

I seriously did wonder if your experience the business might have given you a head start.

Can you smell what the Stone is cooking?

Good to see I got a bit of appearance in that video - first at the start where I got Zonta'd, and then survived the crash up the mountain, and then my Gauntlet getting some spotlight in the hands of Catman at the end. 

• Like 2