Predator: Hunting Grounds

Con

My son is really looking forward to this as he is a big Predator fan.

I am guessing it will be like Friday 13th but hopefully with better implementation, it will need to be if I am going to shell out any cash for it.

• Like 1

Can you smell what the Stone is cooking?

I've thought about getting this but I'm not sure. I'm always hesitant with spending on games as I find after getting them that they're usually not worth the money. Let me know what you think, and maybe share a little about gameplay and features as well if you could. I'm very interested to know what you guys think of it.

• Like 1

Sounds interesting and I may get it because it has cross play so I can play it with friends that are on console 🙂 

Performance on the PS4 is a little choppy and can make things tougher according to the review I read. Right now matchmaking is obviously a slight issue but that should be fixed soon enough.

https://www.destructoid.com/review-in-progress-predator-hunting-grounds-588087.phtml

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sinister said:

Sounds interesting and I may get it because it has cross play so I can play it with friends that are on console 🙂 

Performance on the PS4 is a little choppy and can make things tougher according to the review I read. Right now matchmaking is obviously a slight issue but that should be fixed soon enough.

https://www.destructoid.com/review-in-progress-predator-hunting-grounds-588087.phtml

From my experience with crossplay it's questionable. PS4-XBox1 is good, but adding PC is a cheater/hackers playground.

I'm all for crossplay, but I'm heavily against PC being included. Console-to-console only. Let the hackers play with each other.

• Like 1

That's why I said play with friends, if it is even possible to gather specifically like that. 

Also, there are LOTS of folks on PC that hate hackers/modders/cheaters as much as everyone else so they shouldn't all be lumped together and vilified. 

Edited by Sinister
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sinister said:

That's why I said play with friends, if it is even possible to gather specifically like that. 

Also, there are LOTS of folks on PC that hate hackers/modders/cheaters as much as everyone else so they shouldn't all be lumped together and vilified. 

Valid point! Obviously friends are the best way to go, but you're right that not all PC gamers are cheaters. I know that, but since my only expereiences with PC gamers on cross-platform have left me feeling undoubtedly cheated it's a hard position to take. Partly my own fault for not being more open though I guess, I know there are control differences that can make a big difference to how we play.

I look forward to some feedback on gameplay and features. I'm very much 50/50 right now, so if there are enough people playing and it's something we can play together then I'll definitely look at getting it. 

If there's enough interest I might even include this as a FDU @omarcomin71 @Con @Dodge @JustHatched @D-Rocks @Dead-Demon

• Like 2

Thanks for your input everyone! 

So last night was my first hands on and I only played the tutorial for 45 mins and I failed the first time because I missed the commands I was supposed to press and had to look up a YT video..except it was from PC footage. I restarted the tutorial and here is the footage....and my list of pros and cons so far. I've only played as the Predator part of the tutorial not sure if there is a fire team tutorial part...

Pros: The music is awesome.The Predator sounds are fantastic. The jungle looks good. The graphics suffice for what it is, you dont have time to admire the scenery once the bloodshed begins. The Predkour system is smooth and really fun....think the best Spiderman game movement mechanics. I love the Predator movie and what I experienced so far has me excited.

Cons: It's a 4 v1 ... four fire team members vs one player as the Predator....so only five crew can play at a time. I wish it was more like 6v1. There are bugs and kinks still being ironed out but I have confidence everything will be fixed (i personally didnt come across anything buggy in the tutorial. Perhaps cause I only spent a few minutes with the game but I wasted time looking for a repeat of the button commands...at the start you are supposed to jump a ravine...i was busy while the game was giving me the button commands. For the next 10 mins I tried to figure out how to LEAP. lmao. So I wish i could have been shown those commands again. People already taking the game too serious. I mean, its Predator, you arent supposed to survive unless you are experienced at outsmarting the player using him. 

Verdict: Too early to tell how good or sh*t it is...this is the same team that handled the Friday the 13th Game and I love that game, mainly cause I love the F13 universe and Im getting the same vibe here....if you Love the movies....you gonna love the games because the developers love the original material and it shows. I dont even know how to shoot my shoulder canon yet, lol, so I have a long way to go.

Edited by Con
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 4/26/2020 at 9:42 AM, Skorpion said:

I'm all for crossplay, but I'm heavily against PC being included. Console-to-console only. Let the hackers play with each other.

Good news is you can disable the option with a push of a button. 

Edited by Con
  • Like 1

Here are the weapons we get for the fire team and the Predator alien weapons...pretty sure they will add more in the future.

The mini-gun turns red hot at the tip...then it cools back to its normal color...that was cool. And how about that XDB-12 shotgun? I'm calling it the XDBX-12, I dont care.

Edited by Con

1 hour ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

Looks like fun, but I can see this being given away as a free game with PS+ in a few months.

Good. By then I will be a master at hunting with the Predator and any of you decide to participate in some jungle f*ckery when the game becomes free to play, you will pay dearly!

With Friday the 13th the game, I find it more fun to play as the counselor and try and survive Jason,  but with this Predator game, I feel the opposite, I want to be the Predator. 

Edited by Con
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/26/2020 at 2:42 PM, Skorpion said:

PC is a cheater/hackers playground.

This is a concern for me too, also Keybaord and Mouse v Controller can cause imbalance if not addressd correctly.

Really the ability to just snub 'the master race' and only link console players would sort this.

• Like 1

Can you smell what the Stone is cooking?

16 minutes ago, JuniorChubb said:

This is a concern for me too, also Keybaord and Mouse v Controller can cause imbalance if not addressd correctly.

Really the ability to just snub 'the master race' and only link console players would sort this.

One of the first options that comes on the screen the moment you load the game up is disabling the Crossover option. I personally won’t be playing with PC folk unless it’s someone from the crew. So don’t worry about the master race.

Edited by Con

Want proof of how much I like the movie? Here is a throwback Team Deathmatch with the crew from 2016...I laid down the Predator soundtrack over it. 

The ending is the best cause I use an audio clip from the actual film. 

Edited by Con
  • Like 3

Good call on K&M as very few on a controller would offer any competition. Still all a moot point though because cross play can be turned off. 

What sucks is getting this game means I need to install yet another client since it is an Epic exclusive.  Of course I need that to play the mud runner sequel that drops tomorrow as well. 

Today was the first time I played as a Fire Team member and went live. So I can add more thoughts:

Pros: The game runs smoothly and the videos look more chaotic than the real gameplay, dont get me wrong, its fast, but its not sloppy. The tension of having to battle AI and a Predator being controlled by a human player is just so much fun. I messed around with the loot boxes today and I hope they keep the stuff cosmetic and dont start throwing in weapons and become a pay to win situation because its cool not needing loot boxes to enjoy the gameplay. It was real fun trying to survive the Predator. I enjoy being enticed by the shiny stuff you can pick up but it comes at the cost of being separated from your teammates and the advanced levels are not going to wait around for the noob to pick up Veratium or whatever its called, I call it Kool-Aid cause the purple ones reminded me of the Grape Kool-Aid packets. I forgot to disable the crossover option but cannot recall encountering PC modders or cheaters in that capacity. I also only recall one glitch and it was after I had died and the camera was stuck for a brief period.

Cons:  Not a fan of the pickup icons on the mini map. They seem to activate inconsistently, sometimes I can see them across the map and sometimes they only pop up when Im near them. No auto-aim....no big deal but it couldve been helpful, especially during battles against armored personnel and Predator. There is a learning curve when it comes to the controls...when the action frenzy  arrived, I could have used some button shortcuts to throw grenades and stuff. I think I only played on four maps the entire time and one map was overused. 

Verdict: I really enjoyed the 2+ hours playing the game and look forward to returning to the jungle as soon as I can. Whatever the patches in the last update seemed to balance things out. I even mention it in the broadcast how i like that the AI is a threat but arent going to kill you if you play smart...the Predator on the other hand seemed to have just the right strength. 

Here is the stream....if you are saying, I'm not watching all that...dont worry, I plan on rewatching it and posing an index of highlights, just give me about 45 mins. 

00:43:59 - First death at hand of Predator...death cutscene...
00:47:50 - ...i'm revived from death!
00:50:00 - ...I dont think Im gonna make it to the choppa!
01:04:34 - Is this going to be my first Choppa escape???
01:15:20 - Encounter with Predator leads to first self destruct  crap your pants sequence and I confuse that with the mission that pops up if you kill the Predator, in that one, you have to protect the Predators dead body from the agency that wants his body for study.
01:38:30...I notice the Predator avatar and we Long Tall Sally it down to the jungle.
01:42:37 - Its moments like this that make it exciting...Plasma cannon outta nowhere!
01:52:13 - Another self-destruct sequence that ends with Long Tall Sally.
02:05:47 - The laser sight came outta nowhere!
02:28:00 - "Lets see whats up with this shotty..."
02:31:31 - Here is what happens when the Predator is killed by fire team...a prompt pops up that you have to protect the Predator body so we can extract it and a new group of enemies shows up to steal the Predator carcass. I was left behind because it wasnt clear if we were supposed to protect the body until time ran out or get in choppa...but then that looked like abandoning the body. 
02:54:50 - Trying to revive him...lmao
03:16:12 - Getting up close and personal with the Predator.
03:28:30 - One last escape.

Edited by Con
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Dutch is back!!!! and he is bringing arthritis with him!!!! FTW!! 

My thoughts: What I know is that Dutch is back and there are some cassette tapes that fill us in on what happened to Dutch after he survived the Valverde incident in 1987. Now that is cool and everything but I personally would have not expanded the lore and just centered the game in 1987, before the film's incidents. This way we are writing our own Predator film. Because by setting the game in the future...you gonna have a tough time bringing back dead characters we love like Billy and Blaine. My guess is we will get fascimilies of those original characters we love. Now licensing and paying for the rights to have those OG actors could have played a part in why they might only have had Dutch come back and it does allow them to add characters from the ensuing sequels...which I really could care less about to be honest...all i care about is the original characters. I want to play as Blaine! 

Pricing is being debated but lets face it, this is the new era of gaming...Free DLC's you have to pay for. lol.