Is VR the future of gaming?

JoyFreak

I personally think we've tried it and it seems to have failed. I hate the idea of having a headpiece on. Who knows what may happen in a few years with technology ever evolving. Do you think VR is the future of gaming or will it get retired?

• Like 3

I absolutly think it is the future. The VR when have now in 30 years with be like playing a Coleco Vision now. They might be struggling a little but Sony, Oculus now this is the future and it will only get better in time, at some point we will have RDR2 size maps on VR..

• Like 2

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

I think the answer to this is why I found the film “Ready Player One” so compelling as a concept, and even more now with these global pandemic threats, we could all live like that in the future. 
Do I think it’s the future of gaming....yes, for some. I think it’s the future of a lot of things ——  as we have seen in recent years with sporting events available in VR. During the World Cup, you could watch it in VR. Sadly it wasn’t available for me in the USA, but it sounds exciting. I know the NBA has some VR access but I’ve never looked into it. Anyways what I’m trying to say is where I can really see the future of VR is in sporting events. Give me amazing quality VR experience and I’d pay $200-$500 for a VR ticket to the Super Bowl. Imagine, “hey wanna play some Fortnite?” . ‘No, i can’t , im going to the MMA fight tonight in VR.” 

Now for it to become the real future of gaming, I feel the headset needs to be overhauled. Some form of sunglasses version instead of the current binocular look. I personally don’t mind the headset, but the wires are what I dislike because I don’t have the luxury to leave the VR connected so I have to go through a process to connect it all. In all honesty, I need a VR room. lol. If I could just plug in my PS4 cam and grab the headset like I grab the dual shock, I’d be very happy and think it would have more appeal. 

Im excited for the future of VR, even if it looks stagnant at the moment and I’m also not the active VR player that crew members like @LimeGreenLegend have been but I have enjoyed the games I’ve played and while not perfect, VR is a technology and we know how tech evolves into amazing things. I do see VR as the future of entertainment and expect it to become this thing where you can watch a movie and be there in the scene with the actors. VR will change the way we watch horror movies someday or will create a sub-genre. 

Do I feel it has failed, yes and no. But I also think the fails are valuable towards creating what is to come because VR is amazing when it’s done right. 

Edited by Con
  • Like 3

I hope not because I tried it and don't care for it. A couple of games that had zero movement were great. Anything that involved moving made me violently ill after a few minutes of play. If I am forced to play games with a migraine while vomiting I will not be playing games.

It will die off the same way the 3d TVs did. Putting the crap on Roller Coasters was all the rage last Summer but it is all gone now.

• Like 2

As you may have seen me moan elsewhere... it’s too bloody expensive!

But that is usually the case with something that needs extra hardware to be enjoyed.

Besides the price so far it feels a little like 3D TV, promising but not quite implemented in the right way. 3D TV/Films have been about in various guises for years but just not taken off despite gradually improving with each ‘comeback’. I just don’t feel it improves things, I have watch few 3D films and it has taken away from the experience almost breaking the immersion.

Gaming is a different medium though, I still feel there are to many boundaries to overcome though before it becomes the norm.

I might have a completely different view if I had tired it in the comfort of my own home.

@Sinister I don’t think it will die like 3D TV but there are definitely comparisons so far.

6 minutes ago, Con said:

Do I feel it has failed, yes and no. But I also think the fails are valuable towards creating what is to come because VR is amazing when it’s done right. 

I’ve not played outside of demos at events but I think you nailed it here. 👍

• Like 1

Can you smell what the Stone is cooking?

1 minute ago, Sinister said:

Anything that involved moving made me violently ill after a few minutes of play. If I am forced to play games with a migraine while vomiting I will not be playing games.

Oh yeah. That’s the reason I said, it’s the future for “some”. Unless we can invent something to put behind your ear like when people go on cruise ships to combat motion sickness, VR gaming won’t eliminate regular gaming ever. 

• Like 1

That’s the funny thing. I don’t get motion sickness. Boats, planes, cars, etc are all perfectly fine for me. I can get dizzy and an upset stomach from fast spinning but even that is nothing like what happens when I try to play a VR game. The state that evil torture device puts me in is unlike anything else I have ever experienced. The day I tried RE7 I thought for sure I was going to die. Never put it on again.

Sneaky Bears was so damn fun though and never messed with me since you just stand there. The giant bears scared the crap out of my wife the one time she tried it, lol.

Edited by Sinister

Like @Con said after watching Ready Player One you can tell what the future is going to be. 

Maybe future pandemics may force us to spend more time indoors and communicating virtually could be the only way life can continue. As automation in factories becomes more mainstream there will be less need for human interaction on the production lines. 

Virtual meetings are already taking place now with current technology, that will only improve as the hardware gets better. A crisis like the one we’re currently going through will add advance virtual technology massively. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Squirrel said:

Virtual meetings are already taking place now with current technology, that will only improve as the hardware gets better. A crisis like the one we’re currently going through will add advance virtual technology massively. 

Absolutely. I can see bacteria becoming the reason we are all forced indoors in the future. I think it comes with climate change as viruses mutate and adapt. We know million year old bacteria is being discovered in places where perma-frost is melting. So there is a chance climate change could unleash something very deadly in the future. Exciting times.

• Like 1

I honestly hope it picks up. I really love the technology and idea behind it. I never really played vr, but I want to get a headset some day.

• Like 2

GeezeZone 

My forum dedicated to all things 90s and 2000s nostalgia be it internet culture, memes, tv shows, movies or games!

I think it will be huge part of the future of gaming, it really is unlike anything I've experienced.  If the first generation of home VR sets are this good imagine what the next version will be like, and the next, and the next.

No game has ever made me feel like this...

• Haha 4

Hahaha I really wanna try Oculus or PSVR some day. It would be awesome to be fully taken in by the game like never before.. At least since Virtual Boy. 😛

• Like 1

GeezeZone 

My forum dedicated to all things 90s and 2000s nostalgia be it internet culture, memes, tv shows, movies or games!

2 minutes ago, JuniorChubb said:

If anyone is gonna sell it to me it’s @LimeGreenLegend’s commentary 😂

The one thing stopping me from playing more Skyrim VR is all the f*cking spiders.  They are the worst.

• Haha 2

Skyrim must feel kind of odd in vr... It looks like it would, anyway.

GeezeZone 

18 minutes ago, Abizaga said:

Skyrim must feel kind of odd in vr... It looks like it would, anyway.

It's weird because I played it for hundreds of hours on the 360 and then I actually got to visit it.  It's like going to a place you've only seen pictures of.

• Like 3

That seems about right escpecially when you manually control your character's arms.

GeezeZone