Coronavirus Pandemic

JustHatched

45 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

Here we go : all schools and universities closed starting monday. People over 70 advised to stay at home until things calm down. The rest of us should limit our time outside to the minimum. 

My trip to Portugal in 3 weeks is looking more and more unlikely to happen 😕 I know it's an emergency but I'm probably gonna lose the money for our plane ticket and airbnb... 

My trip to Prague at the same time has just been cancelled. We’re now doing something else without leaving the country. It’s a sh*t time for the world but we have to carry on and make the most of life. 

Look after each other and keep your germs to yourself!

I know one thing!

IF they come up with a vaccine for this, I'm NOT taking it!

Just ask Rick Grimes why! :default_startle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

First case in my university, concretely in the faculty of science. Probably we've seen that guy at some point of the day, so... RIP VALL_es confirmed?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, VALL_es said:

First case in my university, concretely in the faculty of science. Probably we've seen that guy at some point of the day, so... RIP VALL_es confirmed?

That s*cks dude

The company I work for has banned all non employees from all our facilities. This mostly affects truck drivers who will now have to conduct business just outside the secruity shack. And one of those facilities (not mine) is the supplier of all Dollar General and Walmart in North America of disinfectant. While those always shipped well the odd scents that only shipped a few truck loads a month are now shipping daily.Meanwhile my building is continuing to take in escalators from China.

• Like 1

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

12 minutes ago, JustHatched said:

Meanwhile my building is continuing to take in escalators from China.

There's no danger in that.

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

2 minutes ago, zztop911 said:

There's no danger in that.

Theoretically no, and I have been assured it is fine but they arrive in shipping containers, mostly sealed anyway. But I wear my gloves, mask and don't lick them when having to unpack them.

• Haha 1

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Unfortunatly with the growing crisis I must block all vistors from China to RSCnet and are considering a quarentine of all EU members in a closed crew area. This will include UK members though they will probably choose to be in their own quartinied area away from the rest of the EU. Also I will be diverting $2 into a stimulas package to keep everyone entertained while browsing their allowed areas.  

leonardo dicaprio laughing GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

7 hours ago, The_Lady_A said:

Since both my mum and my best friend are in high risk groups, it is difficult not to take it personally when others thoughtlessly talk about the old or unwell like they're a literal millstone around our necks.

Anger at the decisions made by a very small number of powerful people is understandable. Wanting to see millions or billions of largely innocent people die is not a particularly logical response to that anger however. Do you really think the super-rich and the powerful are going to be included in your biological purge? This isn't the 14th century, and it's easier to survive a well publicised outbreak if you can hop on a private jet to some remote island compound.

@Protocawl If God didn't want us to copy Him, He should have done a better job to begin with. Also I like being able to disagree with you from 2000km away, please don't go and join the Amish.

OK... Where exactly did you extract all that from?

Neither of us implied whatsoever that anyone was a "millstone" or burden of any kind to others - where the hell did you get that from?

Now, if you think of "feeble" as ALL elderly, but fail to ask me what exactly I meant with "feeble", then don't blame me for that. What I had in mind was a possible maximum of around 30-40% of all elderly and people with extremely weak immune systems (by default/since birth) who could be considered feeble and therefore at the greatest risk of potentially dying to the virus if they were infected (definitely NOT all people of certain ages or all people with some kind of health condition). It's not like this is news to anyone (...or is it?) that this has basically always been and most likely always will be the way it is when it comes to any pandemics. It's the natural way of things and nature is and always has been brutal. By nature's standards (so to speak) these people are, in a way, indeed living on borrowed time, made possible thanks to the efforts of humans to keep the nature away from us and keep everyone alive even if it's going against the natural way of things ("playing God").

Notice that I have not even mentioned anywhere what should happen or will happen to anyone (because I don't give a sh*t), not here or in the last post, yet it seems you somehow deducted exactly something like that from my previous post. If you indeed somehow concluded that I was implying that all these people would or should be infected and/or die, then I can assure you that is one hell of a wrong assumption as well. I have no interest in wishing for someone to catch a disease and/or die. Where I quoted Spud were purely my personal views on a hypothetical scenario and on the current situation, the rest was just a blunt expression of how things are, mixed with some personal views on it. None of it was about what I think should or would happen so why would you want to think that it somehow was?

And if you were referring to @Potato's line of:

"It's only killing coffin dodgers and people with underlying health issues anyway.",

then in no way is this implying that he is wishing those people any harm, but rather stating the fact that it's literally those who the virus is most dangerous to and who should be most concerned by far, while what we're seeing instead is that the younger and/or healthier are the ones who are running around panicking like headless chickens, so idiotically afraid of the virus when it's rather harmless to them.

Also, I never doubted there would be probably at least a few people here who have loved ones at higher risk. If your loved ones are in the high risk groups then, yeah, that's a real bummer, but then all they can do is be extra careful and vigilant to avoid catching the virus. Hopefully they're able to dodge it.

Then "our biological purge"? Although Spud's wish was indeed rather clear, I specifically said that I don't wish for such a thing, but IF it were to ever happen (which is almost impossible; any other apocalyptic scenario would probably be more likely to happen), I would be indifferent to it, for various reasons, which only a handful of people would probably understand (here and in general), being that those who have been lucky enough to live a relatively peaceful and what they could call at least an OK life with plenty of or enough love and seemingly very few idiots in their lives, tend to have incredibly poor imagination when it comes to understanding the possibility that for other people life can - instead of being something they desperately cling on to - be something they'd gladly let go of in an instant at any time.

The "super-rich and powerful" were not mentioned by either of us, and for good reason - in half the cases (figuratively) these "super-rich and powerful" are only "powerful", because "innocent" people gave them that power on a plate (democracy - still remember that thing?). Saying that the world is full of "largely innocent people" is a rather naive thing to say, unless you specifically meant just the children, who - as far as I'm concerned - are the only truly innocent people (with maybe some exceptions). And if you actually think I (and @Potato?) would be fine with billions perishing just to get rid of the 1% (or would even think that would be a sensible solution), you couldn't be more wrong. It's not like the 1% alone are committing all the crimes, polluting the world all by themselves, and causing all the problems in general - FAR from it. What Spud said describes way more than just the elite:

"The privilege people feel is insane and the greed for money is insatiable for some people, and most of the world's problems are caused by money but then people try to solve them by throwing more money at it."

I don't entirely agree with the money being the main cause of problems part, but in general that statement is not too far from the truth and it clearly involves way more people than just the ones at the very top, all of whom have a messed up relationship with money.

And just so you know, I used the word "God" as a metaphor, not as an expression of some religious views.

7 hours ago, JuniorChubb said:

You have to live a pretty saintly life to not be included in this group...

If you have used electricity for a non sustainable source, flushed the toilet, travelled in a car, wrapped a present, bought an item covered in plastic, used a disposable item,  and many other things we all do every day you can be classed in this group. I don’t think there is anyone using this forum that can claim to be totally exempt.

Don't get me wrong, I see your point of view and agree there are a lot of imbeciles out there but we all fit that group at some level.

...and again we have a pretty serious lack of understanding of what was written.

You see... when I wrote:

"...the hordes of imbeciles on the planet who are not only contributing endlessly to the downfall of our own species, all other species on this planet, and the planet itself, but are also preventing others from trying to turn things around. And we've made damn sure that those imbeciles could thrive.",

then I really did mean SPECIFICALLY all the actual IMBECILES, who go the extra mile to f*ck everything up, because it's beneficial to them in some f*cked up way or just the easier option for them... or simply because they're completely mentally ret*rded. Like, seriously - no effin' sh*t that I'm aware we're all contributing in general to the pollution and excessive use of resources, etc, etc.! I'd have to be a complete f*cking idiot to not understand that!

No, I was talking about those who litter where ever they can... often while being 2 meters from the closest rubbish bin/trash can; the people who use lights during broad daylight and leave the street lamps on during broad daylight (the obvious cases where lamps are trying to out-shine the sunlight); all variations of poachers; the idiots who flush all kinds of hazardous materials, fluids and drugs down the toilets; the retards who vote for the politicians who gave them a pen/candy/scarf/whatever other useless doodad or just because they told them "vote for me" on the street once; the f*ckers who burn down forests for some palm oil corporations or other corporate interests; the scum who physically/mentally abuse other people, especially children; the ones who have all the tools to effectively recycle all sorts of rubbish/trash, but don't do it, because it's "too much effort" or "inconvenient" for them; the people and companies who dump toxic waste in the nature and especially in water sources; people who only understand violence; the list goes on and on and on and on....

Come on, people, if you are not sure what someone meant with a post, ask them about it before you put words in their mouths and jump down their throat!

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Ultramoorine said:

There’s a lot of brave members here who think they’re immune to catching this. When I read those opinions, there’s a small evil part of me that wants to see you catch it IF you’re going to ignore any precautions. Go ahead. Learn something the hard way.

Edited: That sounded real cynical of me. I don’t want anyone to catch it even if they’re stupid enough to say “I hope I catch it.” (This ret*rded sh*t was really said in this forum) I’m not going to change anyone’s mind on this if they really want to contract this virus.

Just think about it though. You may avoid catching this completely while thinking so boldly that you’re impervious to it’s symptoms. Amen if that’s the case. But now is the time to take notes. This sh*t is killing people. You MAY be young and tough enough to sweat this out, but you’re going to get a family member killed with that bravado. If you catch this, your family is going to be worried sick about you. They may even endanger themselves to take care of you. Don’t do that to them. 

If you take anything away from this rant, just remember.. WHEN you say you hope you catch this, Joe Miller in Texas thinks you’re a f*cking ret*rd. 👍

I should add that the virus is here in my city. It’s at our local hospital 2 miles away. My wife is 14 weeks pregnant today. You do the math. I’m allowed to be paranoid about this. 

When it comes to the precautions: Ever considered the possibility that maybe some people don't need to take any extra precautions, because they already do all those things naturally every day, pandemic or no pandemic? You know, like, they don't cough on other people and objects, they wash their hands often and don't touch everything (or everyone) in sight in public areas, for example?

Some more food for thought: Has it ever crossed your mind that maybe not all people have a life worth living, to put it simply? Maybe when they say they don't care if they catch a potentially deadly virus, it's because they really truly don't mind dying to it? And that chances are their family members (if there are any) aren't the greatest people on Earth in those cases?

Sure, that virus is killing people. You know what is killing WAAAY more people all the time? Other people.

You most likely see, hear and read about what horrors and idiocy people are capable of all the time, but it doesn't seem like you or many others actually believe or understand that most of it is possible and happening massively all over the world? That it's possible that some people have experienced too much of the worst of what people are capable of doing to other human beings that they can't enjoy any of the positives of life and secretly look forward to having some peace of mind that (hopefully) would come with death?

I don't recall anyone "boasting" about surviving the virus, but I'd like to think it's quite obvious that it's morally unacceptable to put others (especially those already in danger of experiencing the worst effects of the virus) at greater risk just to prove a point.

10 hours ago, Con said:

I think we let our guard down when we hear “it’s only killing the elderly.” The moment a young person dies from CV19....then even those taking it lightly will reconsider perhaps taking extra precautions they aren’t taking right now.

Young people HAVE died to it, (according to the statistics) roughly around 0.5% of all the 10-30 year-olds who've been infected. Sounds like just about how many extremely physically weakened (for whatever reason) individuals there might be among those age groups anywhere in the world.

Edited by Protocawl
  • Like 2

Small local update. Only 9 cases locally for me now. I was expecting it to be higher. 

However I can’t find toilet roll, rice or pasta anywhere. Society is strange. 

• Like 1

Person gets offended over general Coronavirus comment and replies calling an opinion and a person ret*rded.

Hilarious :classic_laugh:

Pot and kettle spring to mind here.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jjss924 said:

It's only gone if you sell now. Warren Buffett didn't lose any money in the 2008 crash apparently.

Time to buy soon!

• Like 1

tenor.gif?itemid=5199497

Some useful advice I’ve just been sent, might need reformatting to be easier to read. I don’t mind if someone with mod access clears it up, it’s not easy on mobile.

The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can one know if he/she is infected?

By the time they have fever and/or cough and go to the hospital, the lung is usually 50% Fibrosis and it's too late.

Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning.

Take a deep breath and hold your breath for more than 10 seconds.

If you complete it successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, etc., it proves there is no Fibrosis in the lungs, basically indicates no infection.

In critical time, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air.

Serious excellent advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases:

Everyone should ensure:

— your mouth & throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Why? Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water more regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and into the lungs. That's very dangerous.

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - CORONAVIRUS 1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold 2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.

3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun.

4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.

5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface - wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.

6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.

7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.

8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on. 9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice. 10. Can't emphasis enough - drink plenty of water!

THE SYMPTOMS

1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days 2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.

3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.

4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Protocawl said:

OK... Where exactly did you extract all that from?

[...Jesus 'effing Christ Proto...]

Come on, people, if you are not sure what someone meant with a post, ask them about it before you put words in their mouths and jump down their throat!

Amazingly enough Proto the only part of my post aimed directly at you was the paragraph in which you were tagged. You know, the bit at the end with the distance joke and pretty obvious (I thought) religious hyperbole. The rest was more broadly aimed at some of the fatalism/humans suck views I've seen from all sources, and have held myself in the past. I'm sorry that you felt personally attacked.

I will read your monster post in detail (out of respect for how long you must have spent on it!) but the irony of you ending your post with the bit I've quoted... please don't ever change 😁😋

Edit

I've reread my post more closely. My original intention was to keep the bulk of it general but my wording made it a direct attack on you. I'm sorry, that was my bad. I could go and change the post but I don't want to sweep your response under the rug.

I was/am trying to ridicule the apocalypse-survival fantasy that a lot of fictional depictions of a global near-extinction seem to glorify, especially zombie-inspired media where the 'real danger' is other survivors, and the nihilism that accompanies it.

I do have issue with any suggestions that just because a person may be weaker that it is more natural that they should die and we should just accept it. People of reduced capacity in some regard can still make massive contributions in others. That's the part I struggle not to take personally by default.

It might seem like a weird comparison to mention, but I need glasses to see. By any kind of survival of the fittest I should be screwed. Except someone invented glasses, and suddenly I can interact with the world and be useful. This seemingly simple thing means I'll always be in a kind of wonder at the capacity of humans to overcome absurd obstacles, all other negatives aside.

Edited by The_Lady_A
  • Like 1

Well said @Protocawl I agree with most of what you said.

@Ultramoorine please enlighten me as to where anyone said "I hope I catch it" or where anyone said they think they're immune to catching it...

I assume what you were saying was aimed at me but I'm not sure because you're indirectly posting about something no one said.

Either way don't put words in people's mouths and then get offended by it.

• Like 1

Full on psychosis in France now. Meetings of 100+ people forbidden. People are panic buying following the Prez's declarations yesterday. 

Pasta, rice and toilet paper first. 

The Mrs got scared and bought 10 days of food for our daughter. 

Full panic mode in Estonia as well. Almost all general stores are emptied completely immediately after the goods have been placed on the shelves. People lining up in troves, buying all of the TP, pasta, rice, flour, etc.

The stores' orders have increased threefold in many cases.

Another textbook example of fear... Fear of something is how you create that something to fear in the first place.

We have banned non-personnel from our cigar lounge and facility. We are taking precaution for a few days as the owner has traveled internationally recently and his father is 80 years old. I’m here cause I don’t need the lounge opened to do my job. Plus it’s cool having the place to myself and one other person. Gonna have breakfast and smoke a cigar. 

And yes, whether you are in full panic or have no worries about the corona virus, remember that there are others living through a different experience. Like my household, my wife fighting with me because I’m not taking it as serious as her. But it’s just that it’s not dominating my hourly thoughts. In a month from now hopefully we will all be laughing about this and how much toilet paper you got stuck with.

• Like 2

Interesting development in Brazil with serious worldwide implications. 

Their President confirmed to have the virus. He also had a very public handshake with Trump a few days ago. 

Just heard a friend of mine got the virus now, I've seen him once lately so I hope I'm still good though.

And I went to the supermarket to buy cigarettes, but damn it gave me some apocalyptic movie vibe with all the stuff people were buying there.