Coronavirus Pandemic

JustHatched

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

Nothing but STUPID politics! 

Instead of actually DOING SOMETHING , this and other idiots have to politicize this outbreak!

'This is racist': Ilhan Omar scolds Kevin McCarthy for calling illness 'Chinese coronavirus'

Edited by JustHatched
reduced font size for phone viewing

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

Tom Hanks just revealed he's infected with Covid-19 and now the US is locking down Europeans for a month. 

This is starting to look like one of these Hollywood movies... 

Current situation here: People storming the shops. Government trying to assure people stating that there're plenty of stuff to go around. People still acting like idiots.

9 hours ago, Con said:

Just reading about Italy. Damn, they are really getting whacked by the CV19.

So glad my honeymoon to Italy was last April and not this April!

• Like 2

tenor.gif?itemid=5199497

1 hour ago, Fido_le_muet said:

Tom Hanks just revealed he's infected with Covid-19 and now the US is locking down Europeans for a month. 

He can play himself in the movie!

• Haha 3

Can you smell what the Stone is cooking?

1 hour ago, Fido_le_muet said:

I think they skipped this part: "COVID-19 has evolved into a supervirus, killing everyone it infects and then brings their brains back to life, effectively turning everyone into zombies."

• Like 2

On 3/9/2020 at 3:43 PM, Potato said:

Personally I'll be changing absolutely nothing from my day to day lifestyle. I don't care if I get it and I don't care if it kills me. It's only killing coffin dodgers and people with underlying health issues anyway. It's way beyond containment and the fact you can get anywhere in the world in less than a day; a pandemic like this was bound to happen eventually.

Now time for my extreme views...

The world is overpopulated anyway so any form of population control like this is good. I would actually like a disease to wipe out the entire human race and let another species rule the planet. People in this day and age are so scared of death and think that the world owes them something. The privilege people feel is insane and the greed for money is insatiable for some people, and most of the world's problems are caused by money but then people try to solve them by throwing more money at it. I'm no Greta Thunberg but people do nothing about climate change because they think it doesn't affect them, but as soon as there is a new strain of a virus that spreads globally people go ape sh*t like buying sh*t tons of bog roll and stealing hand sanitizer from hospitals. All because of a fear of death. Putting the world in lockdown for a while will actually do some good. Just look at the air pollution charts from china since the factories have been closed because of the virus.

Pretty much spot on and +1 when it comes to the first paragraph.

As for the "extreme views" part, I'd say almost a +1. I wouldn't say that I'm wishing for a disease-driven total wipe-out to happen, but I most likely wouldn't even blink an eye if that were to ever happen. Sorry, everyone, but in that scenario all the good folks in the world would be - as they more often than not are - collateral damage. There's just no other way to get rid of all the hordes of imbeciles on the planet who are not only contributing endlessly to the downfall of our own species, all other species on this planet, and the planet itself, but are also preventing others from trying to turn things around. And we've made damn sure that those imbeciles could thrive.

As for the global panic about the Coronavirus...

Instead of respecting nature, people fear it and since fear leads to nothing but brainless behaviour... well, here we are. All everyone is talking and panicking about everywhere these days is this rather insignificant virus. Just about any outbreak nowadays will highly likely end up as a pandemic, there's just so many of us and we're so mobile - it's basically inevitable.

COVID-19 can hardly be considered dangerous either (it is only dangerous to the most feeble, as most diseases are, and it doesn't seem to be among the most torturous of diseases either).

News flash: if a person's immune system is so weak (by default) that they can't survive a mild disease (be they the greatest person ever, the worst scum on Earth, or anything in between), then they're living on borrowed time anyway.

I'm all for preventing unnecessary suffering, so let's not allow the return of any plague, smallpox, polio, Ebola, or the like, but the much less severe diseases are just nature's way of collecting it's debt in people who probably wouldn't be alive anyway if it weren't for humans playing God.

• Like 4

Since both my mum and my best friend are in high risk groups, it is difficult not to take it personally when others thoughtlessly talk about the old or unwell like they're a literal millstone around our necks.

Anger at the decisions made by a very small number of powerful people is understandable. Wanting to see millions or billions of largely innocent people die is not a particularly logical response to that anger however. Do you really think the super-rich and the powerful are going to be included in your biological purge? This isn't the 14th century, and it's easier to survive a well publicised outbreak if you can hop on a private jet to some remote island compound.

@Protocawl If God didn't want us to copy Him, He should have done a better job to begin with. Also I like being able to disagree with you from 2000km away, please don't go and join the Amish.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Protocawl said:

There's just no other way to get rid of all the hordes of imbeciles on the planet who are not only contributing endlessly to the downfall of our own species, all other species on this planet, and the planet itself,

You have to live a pretty saintly life to not be included in this group...

If you have used electricity for a non sustainable source, flushed the toilet, travelled in a car, wrapped a present, bought an item covered in plastic, used a disposable item,  and many other things we all do every day you can be classed in this group. I don’t think there is anyone using this forum that can claim to be totally exempt.

Don't get me wrong, I see your point of view and agree there are a lot of imbeciles out there but we all fit that group at some level.

• Like 2

I just did some maths in response to an article criticising the UK's response so far. Within there was the claim that current contingency plans were expecting 80% to contract the virus, and 4% of those to require hospitalization. Since 4% of 80% sounds tiny, I wanted to see the product.

So 66,440,000 (population of the UK) - 20% (not infected) = 53,152,000 (total hypothetical infected).

53,152,000 (hypothetical infected) - 96% (mild & moderate cases) = 2,126,080 people who will potentially require hospital treatment. 

The UK has about 180,000 hospital beds.

Those figures sound scary! Let's plug the US into it and get scarier numbers!

327,200,000 - 20% = 261,760,000 total hypothetical infected  - 96% = 10,470,400 potential hospitalizations and 800,000 hospital beds. 

I don't know the contingency numbers the US is actually using, but given some of the challenges the US faces (such as a work when you're sick culture, an aversion to medical aid because of cost, and a president who would probably tour a nursing home if he tested positive) compared to some of the advantages (much lower population density, lots of money and technology) it is definitely conceivable that their contingency figures would be similar. 

Let's hope the people who make such predictions are bad at their jobs...

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, The_Lady_A said:

The UK has about 180,000 hospital beds

The vast majority of those beds are already full with people with other ailments. 

There will be a large crossover between corona patients and patients needing other treatment but there definitely isn’t 180k beds laying empty ready to take on new patients. 

Think the main plan is to delay the spread till the winter peak has ended and postpone as much treatment as possible for non corona patients. Where that leaves me with my treatment is still unknown but I’ve not had anything pushed back yet. 

Edited by Squirrel
  • Like 1

@The_Lady_A the numbers are huge (yes frightening), especially when you look at the total population.

Exactly why bringing the ‘drastic measures’ at the right time is critical to flatten the peak number of infections we have. Also why those who will not suffer serious illness need to consider the small percentage who will suffer by doing what they can to help control the spread.

I think so far (on the whole) the right decisions have been made to maintain the balance between slowing the spread and economic upset. They are following the advice of people a lot more competent than the headline writers of our media.

22 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

The vast majority of those beds are already full with people with other ailments. 

[...]

Where that leaves me with my treatment is still unknown but I’ve not had anything pushed back yet. 

They're pretty much completely full. The neighbour of my parents had a str*ke recently, and he was waiting so long for admission it seems he suffered a second, more serious str*ke in the back of an ambulance queuing at A&E. Such things have been regularly reported in the media for years now, but it feels a lot closer when you know the person (he made one of the best curries I've ever tasted for example).

I really hope your treatment goes ahead safe and well Squirrel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just had some m*ron compare this outbreak to the 1918 Spanish Flu! (NOT RACiST! 😜)

edit..................the language filter is really stupid!

Edited by zztop911

Because Fat Buds Matter!

There’s a lot of brave members here who think they’re immune to catching this. When I read those opinions, there’s a small evil part of me that wants to see you catch it IF you’re going to ignore any precautions. Go ahead. Learn something the hard way.

Edited: That sounded real cynical of me. I don’t want anyone to catch it even if they’re stupid enough to say “I hope I catch it.” (This ret*rded sh*t was really said in this forum) I’m not going to change anyone’s mind on this if they really want to contract this virus.

Just think about it though. You may avoid catching this completely while thinking so boldly that you’re impervious to it’s symptoms. Amen if that’s the case. But now is the time to take notes. This sh*t is killing people. You MAY be young and tough enough to sweat this out, but you’re going to get a family member killed with that bravado. If you catch this, your family is going to be worried sick about you. They may even endanger themselves to take care of you. Don’t do that to them. 

If you take anything away from this rant, just remember.. WHEN you say you hope you catch this, Joe Miller in Texas thinks you’re a f*cking ret*rd. 👍

I should add that the virus is here in my city. It’s at our local hospital 2 miles away. My wife is 14 weeks pregnant today. You do the math. I’m allowed to be paranoid about this. 

Edited by Ultramoorine
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Ultramoorine said:

should add that the virus is here in my city. It’s at our local hospital 2 miles away. My wife is 14 weeks pregnant today. You do the math. I’m allowed to be paranoid about this. 

You are right. My wife was sick with the flu last year and it lasted two weeks and she was super miserable. So she is more concerned about CV19 than me because she doesn’t want to have a worst flu than she had last year and since it’s been a few years since I’ve gotten a flu, I’m like blah, whatever. But doesn’t mean I want to go to the club or contaminated area. 
I think we let our guard down when we hear “it’s only killing the elderly.” The moment a young person dies from CV19....then even those taking it lightly will reconsider perhaps taking extra precautions they aren’t taking right now.

• Thanks 1

Right on. You guys be safe out there. I recognized the potential of how deadly this pandemic was going to become. I grew up in an age where the teacher is probably drunk again and told the substitute to play the movie ‘Outbreak’ again for the 5th time. To this day, I can still hear Dustin Hoffman screaming into a mic set, “Billy!” 

I hope my system continues as it has in the past. I almost never get the flu or colds.

Last time I had the flu was about 12 yrs ago and can't remember the last time I had a cold.

Allergies are another story! My white truck had a yellow tint to it this morning!

Because Fat Buds Matter!

Here we go : all schools and universities closed starting monday. People over 70 advised to stay at home until things calm down. The rest of us should limit our time outside to the minimum. 

My trip to Portugal in 3 weeks is looking more and more unlikely to happen 😕 I know it's an emergency but I'm probably gonna lose the money for our plane ticket and airbnb... 

People's responses show how much skin in the game they have. I have 2 kids in school, a baby and wife at home, and lots of old folks in my family.

If you really feel like people are parasites, I feel bad for you. It's also very easy to be brave and boastful here. sh*t hits the fan everywhere for every reason. None of us are immune to any of this, please take care of yourselves and don't let ego get you killed.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lann said:

A quater of my retiment savings gone, but compared to the health stress its just numbers. I hope everyone and their close ones stay strong and healthy! @Ultramoorine congrats 💪

It's only gone if you sell now. Warren Buffett didn't lose any money in the 2008 crash apparently.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jjss924 said:

It's only gone if you sell now. Warren Buffett didn't lose any money in the 2008 crash apparently.

I am trying to follow that, as it was my initial plan, still all in.