Coronavirus Pandemic

JustHatched

3rd confirmed case in my city. Probably a lot more undiagnosed yet as there’s a two week incubation period with few symptoms. 

If you want me I’ll be in the Winchester. 

• Like 1

Someone has stolen the loo roll from one of the staff toilets at school!

Hello Mr @Potato nice to see you here. Don’t worry about overpopulation though, once the whole world is ‘developed’ and global birth rates drop the whole world will be full of people even more self entitled than they are today who all die alone because they refuse to have kids that may jeopardise their careers/lifestyles. 😉

• Haha 2

Can you smell what the Stone is cooking?

1 hour ago, Potato said:

The world is overpopulated anyway so any form of population control like this is good. 

Calm down Thanos

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

27 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

Calm down Thanos

Half would be a good start! :default_crazy:

• Haha 1

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

Fox News reported that Coronavirus cases on the US topped 500 over the weekend. Wash your hands folks. Try to avoid being trapped in confined spaces with lots of people. 

• Like 1

Dodgeservice.png

44 minutes ago, Dodge said:

Fox News reported that Coronavirus cases on the US topped 500 over the weekend. Wash your hands folks. Try to avoid being trapped in confined spaces with lots of people. 

I haven't heard if it is airborne transferable.

Because Fat Buds Matter!

9 minutes ago, zztop911 said:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/transmission.html

@Dodge is pretty much spot on.

Most of us do not need to worry about it if we are of average health, kids seem to be brush it off even better.

However, the rest of us should act responsibly to safeguard those not in the same position as ourselves.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, zztop911 said:

Droplet as far as they are aware. Keeping things clean and not coughing in people’s faces seems to be the way forward. 

For those interested in keeping track of the numbers there’s two sites I’ve been looking at. 

This one for an almost real time count of active cases. 
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

This one is a world map showing where most cases are  

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1yCPR-ukAgE55sROnmBUFmtLN6riVLTu3&ll=45.96436059783645%2C4.3031547584485&z=6

Hopefully both links work  

Edited by Squirrel
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Squirrel said:

Droplet as far as they are aware. Keeping things clean and not coughing in people’s faces seems to be the way forward. 

You mean like decent folk already do?

• Like 1

Corona viruses are one of the usual causes the common cold, so they're pretty good at proving true the old rhyme "coughs and sneezes spread diseases".

As for how dangerous Covid-19 is, the 1% mortality figure so far seems like a reasonable baseline. But this doesn't tell the whole story of the danger, as in the severe form it attacks the respiratory system, which requires intensive medical assistance to treat.

One big fear of the various medical communities - and of governments smart enough to listen to them - is that too many people will become critically ill at once for regional health services to cope. 

This then leads to either insufficient treatment of all illnesses and injuries within the area of the crisis - it's still flu season in the northern hemisphere atm with all the stress that places on healthcare - or triage decisions that purposefully sacrifice the treatment of some people. Oddly enough those of privilaged class rarely seem to end up as a statistic on the 'sacrificed' side of the graph, at least historically.

@Potato ...are you okay? You kinda sound like you could use a hug...

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, The_Lady_A said:

One big fear of the various medical communities - and of governments smart enough to listen to them - is that too many people will become critically ill at once for regional health services to cope. 

Exactly why the timing of closing schools, stopping mass events etc is critical, too early or late will not achieve the desired results. Also the balance between slowing the spread and disrupting the economy is a tightrope.

I don’t envy the decisions that need to be made, but right now I am not complaining. They resisted the temptation to move to phase 2 this morning (despite pressure from Andrex), just need to hold as long as possible then bring in the bigger measures once whatever threshold levels they have set are passed.

Great post btw LadyA 👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Squirrel said:

For those interested in keeping track of the numbers there’s two sites I’ve been looking at. 

This one for an almost real time count of active cases. 
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

This one is a world map showing where most cases are  

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1yCPR-ukAgE55sROnmBUFmtLN6riVLTu3&ll=45.96436059783645%2C4.3031547584485&z=6

Hopefully both links work  

I figured that was a method, but not from just breathing the same air as in some very contagious bacteria and viruses.

Because Fat Buds Matter!

I can imagine someone's friend or family member coming over, ask to use the bathroom, and the roll of paper comes up MIA. Haahaha these are rough times.

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, The_Lady_A said:

Corona viruses are one of the usual causes the common cold, so they're pretty good at proving true the old rhyme "coughs and sneezes spread diseases".

As for how dangerous Covid-19 is, the 1% mortality figure so far seems like a reasonable baseline. But this doesn't tell the whole story of the danger, as in the severe form it attacks the respiratory system, which requires intensive medical assistance to treat.

This then leads to either insufficient treatment of all illnesses and injuries within the area of the crisis - it's still flu season in the northern hemisphere atm with all the stress that places on healthcare - or triage decisions that purposefully sacrifice the treatment of some people. Oddly enough those of privilaged class rarely seem to end up as a statistic on the 'sacrificed' side of the graph, at least historically.

@Potato ...are you okay? You kinda sound like you could use a hug...

Well, that is not exactly true, @The_Lady_A .

As you can see here: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

The actual mortality rate is in the house of 6%, not 2.3% has the "chinese authorities" have been saying (though this is up for debate, but even the lower estimates from WHO give the virus a mortality rate of 3.4% and that doesn´t take into account the deaths that occur from multiple infections on the same host).

Also,  the common cold usually is another virus entirely: Rhinovirus; Furthermore, the common cold has a very low mortality rate (in the rate of less than 0,1%).

Flu (Influenza Virus) has a mortality rate of less than 1% in 1st world countries (which include china, of course) which, being higher than the common cold, it is still far from that of this strain of the corona virus.

Truth being said, the health systems worldwide are already at a near breakpoint status (we have too many elderly and that takes a toll on those systems) and an outbreak of pandemic proportions will, likely, just make the system crumble.

As for predictions, well, I am with @Potato on this one! We are killing this planet, don´t expect it to die without a fight... 😛

Edited by Spinnaker1981
  • Like 2

Cheers for the link @Spinnaker1981 👍

The 1% death rate of Influenza is lower, but you need to consider natural immunity (nobody has encountered Covid-19 before) and the immunisation programs used for the elderly and those at risk that are in place in the developed world. Take that away and the mortality rate of influenza would be higher. I really couldn’t say how much higher though.

On the fly percentages based on these figures can be misleading though, according to the same source and using the same calculation Italy has 463 deaths & 724 recovered so a mortality rate of 64% (fingers crossed my maths is correct).

If 6% mortality rate is a genuine figure though... Recluse Mode Activated!

Spoiler

I am only posting in spoilers now to avoid contamination!