Ireland: what can you tell me about it?

Spinnaker1981

Ok, has most of you know, I am a Pharmacist in Portugal.

A couple of days ago I was offered a position in Ireland as a Pharmacist in one of their pharmacy networks.

I know the weather is not the same as in Portugal and I know the pay is very good compared to what we get payed in Portugal.

I have been doing some research (technical and registration) and I have been doing some research on prices as well, but there is nothing like local knowledge.

I do plan on going there beforehand, but that is also just a small glimpse of what might be to come.

Anyone around here, with more knowledge of the country than me, to enlighten me on what I am to expect? 

• Like 1

I’ve only been once but can tell you what I found.

The locals are generally very friendly, but you probably won’t understand a word they’re saying.

Drink Guinness....you probably won’t like it at first but stick with it and it’ll probably become one of your favourite drinks.

Dublin is expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been to Ireland a few times and the weather there is definitely the opposite of Portugal. Expect rain and lots of it. 

Outside of the big cities it’s very rural. There’s quite a small population considering the size of the country. There are actually more people in Yorkshire than there are in the whole of Ireland. Dublin is tourist oriented and very expensive. You’ll need to be on a good salary to be comfortable there. Other large cities like Cork are more reasonable in terms of cost of living. 

The best parts of Ireland are the people. I don’t think there’s anyone more friendly or welcoming. Irish hospitality is legendary. They love to talk and they definitely know how to drink. They’re not afraid to say what they think either. 

I know a lot of Irish people through work, festivals and a few dates and I still struggle to understand everything they say. It is literally a different language. 

Don’t mention potatoes. It’s a sensitive subject. 

• Haha 1

There's a good Brazilian Jiujitsu school in Dublin. Check out Next Generation if that's something you're into. Their world HQ is near where I live.