Football Manager 2020 - Lime Green to Legend

LimeGreenLegend

Meet Lime Green.

TzX5hwR.jpg

Lime knows nothing about football, except for one thing.  That he wants to become the most legendary manager the game has ever seen.  But, as you can see from these stats, that won't be the quickest or easiest of objectives.

A3vviKK.jpg

He has no coaching qualifications, the lowest attributes you could possibly have, the bare minimum playing experience (one accidental appearance for his local pub's Sunday league team while he was walking his dog), and he's only 20 years old, so it'll be a task to command any kind of respect.  This is FM hard mode.  

However, Lime is determined, and applied for every managerial job...in the world.

bbc whatever GIF

j7wmHOp.jpg

It was a long and arduous job search, mostly because the processing time when you have every league in the game loaded is glacially slow.  But eventually one club was stupid enough to actually offer Lime a job.  

jqHNzhj.jpg

Skovde AIK is located in south-central Sweden, situated between the two largest lakes in the country, and are @Lann's favourite team.  Probably.  They are a semi-professional team playing in the third (I think) tier of Swedish football, and are celebrating their centenary, so there's a guaranteed party at the end of the season no matter where we place.  The board want a mid-table finish for this season, with the league table looking like this when Lime joined.

WeGjEzV.jpg

Right on course with less than half the season left.  Lime couldn't possibly mess this up, right?

Just a few words on how I play the game, especially in a save like this.  No save-scumming.  That just cheapens any glory you achieve, and honestly, when you have a database this large loaded, it would just take too long to keep re-loading if you lose a game.  Any players I sign are found by my scouts, so no searching for Brazilian wonderkids.  If I want any of those I'll have to actually send a scout to Brazil and hope that they can find some themselves.  I also don't download any pre-made tactics/formations/set-pieces.  Everything about the way my teams play is set by me based on the players I have, rather than just forcing my team into playing a gegenpress style because it's op.  

That's about it for now.  There are 12 games left in this season, and we're still in the cup, so hopefully Lime can make an impression right away and earn himself some meatballs and a flat-pack wardrobe.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Spinnaker1981 said:

What is it with you and the swedish league??? And what the huck is gegenpress? 

Sweden has a lot of shit teams who'll hire a shit manager, and gegenpress is a style of football that relies on constant high intensity pressing on the opposite team.

10 minutes ago, Con said:

Can someone explain what’s going on here  for the Americans? Please and thank you. 

Football Manager is a popular football (soccer) management simulation game.  In it, you take control of a team from a large database of real leagues, and do everything a manager does, set tactics, training assignments, press interviews, scouting for new players, developing your youth teams for future prospects and about three dozen other things.

However, the only thing you don't do is play the games yourself, like FIFA.  You just watch the games, making tactical changes on the fly depending on the situation

In this thread I'll be documenting my main save for this years version of the game, in which I start as a low level manager working with crap teams in semi-professional leagues, slowly working my way up to becoming (after many, many years of in-game time) a Champions League (the most prestigious club football competition in the world) winning manager.

It's a great game that I have spent literally thousands of hours playing over the years.

Edited by LimeGreenLegend
  • Like 1

Season one is complete, and here's the final league table.

PORkS5O.jpg

As you can see, we performed well above our mid-table expectations and managed to finish in second place on goal difference, earning ourselves a promotion play-off place.  We sadly lost this, so will remain in this league for the time being, but I'm kind of glad that we didn't win, as I don't think our team is strong enough to stay up.  Here's the schedule of all of the fixtures I managed in the 2019 season.

Pfbyo11.jpg

We weren't banging in the goals, but did go on an incredible 8 game winning run to round out the season, and scored enough to secure second place by one goal.  

Finally, here's the seasons best XI.

Gj4Un5t.jpg

As you can see, we played a defensive winger formation, full backs set to attack in the defense instead of wingbacks, providing more cover at the back, and one of the wingers in the midfield set to inside forward to cover the space in the centre.  My two centre mids were set to box to box and deep lying playmaker, so one is more attacking and one more defensive.  The defensive mid is a basic defensive midfielder acting as a link between defense and attack.  The keeper is a sweeper keeper just because I like my keepers to come off the line more.

I did lose two of my best players, Norlin and Orqvist, during the transfer window, but I have made a lot of decent signings myself, and feel that the team is stronger all round heading into the next season.  

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

@LimeGreenLegend Are all these real teams and real players ? 

Yup.  Every year each team gets an intake of fake youth players, so in 20 seasons time there’ll be no real players left in the game.

• 3 months later...

We need an update @LimeGreenLegend Love football manager but lack the time and decent enough PC to play the latest game, I do have FM2020 Touch on my phone but thats just not the same, and a tad unrealistic, (sold my 4th choice striker at wolves for £25million).

But yeah, would love an update to your career

• Like 1

50% Cat 50% Man 110% Bellend

1 minute ago, CatManDoza said:

But yeah, would love an update to your career

Sadly my save got corrupted and I didn't have a back up.  I got proper f*cked off and haven't played in a couple of months.  I will start up a new career of the same type sometime though, and will post updates here when I do.

4 minutes ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

Sadly my save got corrupted and I didn't have a back up.  I got proper f*cked off and haven't played in a couple of months.  I will start up a new career of the same type sometime though, and will post updates here when I do.

thats a bloody wounder that is!! I like watching a youtuber who does a series call non league to legend, but your database with every little league loaded is mental! whats the loading time between games like??

2 minutes ago, CatManDoza said:

whats the loading time between games like??

Not too bad considering.  It takes about five to ten minutes to get to the next game depending on how busy the schedule is.  Stuff like transfer deadline day and cup days where there are a load of games do take a while though.  

• Like 1

@CatManDoza's interest in this thread has spurred me on to start a new career.  I'm using the same profile, and the same game setup, but there's one more league now since the developers have added the Canadian Premier League since I last played.  My career isn't starting in Canada however, I'm jetting off to beautiful Indonesia as the new manager of Mitra Kutai Kertanegara Football Club, otherwise known as Mitra Kukar.

Ys0HrxI.jpg

They only just got relegated to the Indonesian second division and look like a better team than most of the others in the league, so I think I have a good chance to take them straight back up.

XpsMexx.jpg

And here's a look at the league table when I took charge.

zrxocnw.jpg

Not bad, three wins from three games.  Hopefully I can keep this good run going and take them back up to the first division.  I'll be back with an update at the end of this first season.

• Like 1

interesting starting point. I take it you've got most leagues loaded, so you can literally go anywhere you please.

Just now, CatManDoza said:

interesting starting point. I take it you've got most leagues loaded, so you can literally go anywhere you please.

Every single country and league in the standard game, 119 leagues and 52 countries, I'm not playing with any mods.  

2 minutes ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

Every single country and league in the standard game, 119 leagues and 52 countries, I'm not playing with any mods.  

loading times for days!!! look forward to seeing your progress though. From Indonesia to greatness via the wierdest path imaginable!!!

• Thanks 1

The first phase of the season is complete, here's the final table.

HEMNG3C.jpg

First! To be honest Mitra Kupar seem to be the best team in the league by some way, having just been relegated the season before.  Now I have to go through the second phase, and the semi-final, and the final.  I'll be finally promoted if I either get to the final or win the third-place playoff.  I'm also still in the cup, so lots of silverware still up for grabs.

And lastly for now here's the fixture list of all of the games I've managed so far this season.

FuFC81X.jpg

lHVUOcd.jpg

Fitness is a bit of a concern right now.  And as you can see I finished the season with three draws from four games with performances noticeably worse over the last month, but hopefully the lads can pull themselves together and bring home a trophy.

It seems the cup competitions aren't very popular. The difference in attendances is mad! Solid first season though in an unknown league

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CatManDoza said:

t seems the cup competitions aren't very popular. The difference in attendances is mad!

I thought that too!  Seems it's all about the league in Indonesia. 

Quick update.  I've played through the second phase matches, and both legs of the cup tie, here are the results.

cwAYQs9.jpg

Yikes!  I knew our fitness levels would affect us.  Those six games in a row without a win really hurt morale as well, so it was a huge relief to get that win.  Fauzi also nabbed a perfect hat-trick (left foot, right foot, header) to end his goal drought going back to the 8th September.  But was it enough to get through to the semi-final?kceegDa.jpg

Yes it was, just by the skin of my knob.  I still haven't earned promotion yet, but if I get to the final I will.  If I lose the semi I can still get promotion by winning the third-place playoff.  I'll be back at the end of the season with either good news or bad news.  

85 people. 10 thousand people madness. A confusing league system for sure, nasty bit of form, but a win is all you need to put you back on track

• Like 1