What is this?

Lann

It's a WOLF SPIDER. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_spider

It's beautiful, Don't kill it. It doesn't want to hurt you. You are not its natural prey.  It's just lost.

Do Wolf Spiders Bite People?

Although the wolf spider’s fangs are easy to see and look a bit scary, you needn’t worry. Wolf spiders do not attack humans, and their venom is fairly harmless to large animals and people says the Wolf Spider Organization.

If you find yourself bitten by a huge wolf spider, it is probably your fault. They typically run and hide when they see a human or large animal. They do not bite attack people, except in self-defense. You would need to go out of your way to hold a wolf spider next to your skin and make it feel trapped or threatened.

If you happen to sit on one, or if you are foolish enough to hold one in your hand and squeeze it you may be bitten. If this happens, you can expect pain, redness, swelling, and itching similar to a wasp sting.

Can You Keep Wolf Spiders As Pets?

Wolf spiders actually make interesting pets, and a female can live for several years when well kept. A wolf spider will adapt nicely to captivity if kept it in a large, properly set up terrarium with an appropriate substrate and good hiding places.

Because wolf spiders do hunt their prey, they can be fascinating to watch. You can feed your pet crickets, mealworms, and other insects a couple of times a week – (These can be purchased at a pet store). You can also catch insects to feed your pet. Be careful not to feed any insects that may have been exposed to pesticides.

Some intrepid souls even handle their pet wolf spiders, but this isn’t recommended. If the creature is startled or feels threatened, it can bite; however, a wolf spider bite is not especially dangerous. If bitten, treat the bite as you would a wasp or bee sting, taking your own level of sensitivity into account.

Edited by Con
  • Thanks 1

It may be a Wolf spider. I haven't seen one with legs quite that hairy, but I live in the US.  I was happy to  see some in my vegetable garden.

• Like 1

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

2 minutes ago, zztop911 said:

It may be a Wolf spider. I haven't seen one with legs quite that hairy, but I live in the US.  I was happy to  see some in my vegetable garden.

Yeah those legs had me perplexed because that is more tarantula than spider. But if its in Sweden, maybe it's legs adapted differently. ?

This one and its friends live in my daughters bedrooms, i keep saying i brought those with me moving home from Texas :) I have to come move them/it regulary as they are a bit scared.

Edited by Lann
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Lann said:

This one and its friends live in my daughters bedrooms, i keep saying i brought those with me moving home from Texas :) I have to come move them/it regulary as they are a bit scared.

So she isnt afraid of it? 

2 minutes ago, Lann said:

Never seen one with legs that hairy. NOT a Texas Wolf spider.

• Like 1

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

1 minute ago, Lann said:

They both are, thats why they call on me. Sometimes i really do think i brought them with me in my bags... 

Window Lace Weaver, Huntsman Spider, European Cave Spider, Rabbit Hutch Spider.....are the four spider species found in Sweden. So you might have brought back some eggs or a stowaway and have introduced an invasive species...LOL 

I hate spiders.... Thankfully my garden has loads of Gecko´s that eat them so I have literally no spiders in my house, even though I have a garden...

I must have more than 20 Gecko´s in my garden, but, thankfully, they don´t enjoy the inside of houses, they enjoy tight spaces to hide but like to bake under the sun (like all cold blooded animals). Besides, they just go out of their hiding place to hunt, otherwise they tend to stick to the same spot for years...

I even have names for them! My dog even plays with the small gecko´s, without killing them, which is odd.

• Like 1

I'm sorry I know it's bad and I should capture it and release it in the garden but in my house that would be a dead spider very quick. 

Well not very quick as I would need a good 30-40 minutes to build up the nerve to kill it with whatever tool I could find that would be effective while also letting me be as far away from it while killing it. 

• Like 1

Couldn't find any spider that looks specifically like that one, so even though it somewhat resembles Wolf Spiders, I wouldn't be so sure that it was from that family.

Still, should be harmless, as most spiders are to humans.

Nothing to be afraid of. Unless you lived on the east coast of Australia. Even then, no point in being afraid of the more venomous spiders, just wary of them.

Love those creepy 8-legged fellas, they keep the annoying bugs away from my home. Rather have a few spiders in some corners of my house than a bunch of wasps, flies, etc. doing way nastier things than just putting up nice webs.

(Just because they look a bit creepy and different to most living beings doesn't qualify as good enough of a reason to murder them. Just because we're bigger and we can.)

Edited by Protocawl
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Fido_le_muet said:

Well not very quick as I would need a good 30-40 minutes to build up the nerve to kill it with whatever tool I could find that would be effective while also letting me be as far away from it while killing it. 

I find a slipper to be the best option. Flexible to create a nice slapping motion with enough force to splat the spider without damaging the wall, and also quite a large surface area so that you don't have to worry about being super accurate. Although if you do miss, drop the slipper and run! Works best for moths and wasps.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I miss having wolf spiders in my house. The bug repellant I use works on them unfortunately. We rely on wild animals to keep pests under control here. It's good to have opossums, king snakes and other constrictors, and spiders around. No roaches, flies, wasps, venomous snakes, etc.

• Like 3