PSN Store Digital Games Removed

So i will use this as an example, recently Drive Club was removed from certain regional psn stores and for the U.S its off in 2020. I remember when a Ninja Turtle game was removed from the store sometime back, I was thinking it's probably going to happen slowly but surely with AAA games but not anytime soon.

Well my question is how would you handle it if a game you enjoyed was about to meet the chopping block but you want to continue playing it?

Whats your contingency planning. Will you download it on a external hard drive, would it be a solid state hard drive, buy the disc version or does it not matter to you at all?

It's a really interesting subject @Smurf that is only going to become more relevant in the years ahead as this second generation of digital stores has only held market dominance for a short while.

I was very much against only having digital copies of games on console at the end of the last gen. I was on Xbox 360 and at the time assumed the Xbone would 'win' the next generation too. Then there was that cataclysm of an E3 presentation around a console that was always switched on always connected always watching & listening through the kinect device, and Sony just said thank you kindly for imploding.

Except even then I was using Steam, and had signed up for Spotify premium by then. As an aside, I can't be too far off having subscribed to Spotify for a decade by now. Streaming/digital services won me over on laziness, and I know I have teased a few of you for having to change disks when we've been gaming.

And in the spirit of laziness I don't have any plans for what to do when one of the services I use folds. I'm content to wait and see what happens.

But do you know if the game was also removed from those who bought it or only from the store so you can no longer buy it like driver club or ninja turtles?

Cause deadpool on steam got removed for a time and those who bought it got to keep it its just that you could no longer buy the game same went for those who bought metro exodus on steam got to keep it even after they removed the game from steam and made it a epic exclusive.

Edited by Ello

@Ello

2 hours ago, Ello said:

But do you know if the game was also removed from those who bought it or only from the store so you can no longer buy it like driver club or ninja turtles?

I was considering that when I was writing the post, I believe it's off the GB Store. @DavidCore89 Do you have a uninstall digital version of the game & can you download it from your game library? 

@The_Lady_A I was fully against digital game purchase based on I cannot sell it after I'm finished with it. The xbone drm was what turned me away from getting one, I really like there controller design & would prefer it even now. 

When I see Nintendo shut down Nintendo Online for the Wii along with all video streaming apps on it, it raise a brow because it gave light to where this is heading 

Over the years Google is known to shut down 134 online projects as it relates to online services, as I remember getting a final warning via email to download my personal data. Their coming out with a gaming streaming service Google Stadia without a console, but yet your still going to pay full price for the games & hopefully multiplayer is free seeing that it's a streaming service. I guess it would be nice to play multiplayer free of an annual cost, save on my 4 times more expensive than Canada electricity bill by not having a console running, but I'd definitely lose out when they decide to can the service whenever the time comes.

And I guess the conversation could be please push further with online-only games, though some of them actually tell you that they'll be online for no more than 10 years ect.

I can still download it from the library.

Digital downloads recently passed 50% market share on PlayStation for the first time, I expect digital to keep on growing.

I initially disliked the thought of a digital game having no resale value, but the value of a physical game will plummet to less than half on release day as soon as it leaves the store. Sure, I've downloaded many shit games, the PS Store can be a minefield, but it's helped me get over 200 games on Vita, PS3&4 without having them taking up space.

• Like 1

I would be pissed if I can't play my game anymore because they decided to remove it from the store. 

I bought it after all, I should be able to keep for however long I want. 

I'm sure they can remove it from the store but keep it playable for those who downloaded it. 

• Like 1

Not really an issue for me because I would rather have a physical copy than a digital copy, and also the ps store is a rip off. Rarely buy anything from it, most games I have from the ps store are free games.

However, something I am pissed off about, guitar hero live switched off its online servers in 2018 (only 3 years after launch). A game which was sold to everyone because of it's vast online song list (over 200). The game only has about 30 songs on the disc, and they're all crap. I'm still pissed off about this. Especially when games like CoD and GTA IV still have active online servers after over 10 years.

On 9/23/2019 at 1:43 PM, Potato said:

@Potato However, something I am pissed off about, guitar hero live switched off its online servers in 2018 (only 3 years after launch). 

I was planning to start a topic on that subject for ages. I beleive when a games online multiplayer server support is being shut down, the console should provide an option for a console user to provide or take part in serving as al Host & or taking part as a Client server system to keep their favorite games alive.

It should have a means to test, approve or deny a host and or client if their connection isn't up to par.

That would be lovely, surely it would be up to them to decide if progression in the game is registered, along with the trophy system & whatever else there maybe that needs to be hashed out. Though it might be susceptible to hackers cheating somehow.

Edited by Smurf