PS5 Official Hardware Details

JustHatched

2 hours ago, Sinister said:

That is how they keep us spending money we don’t have.  

For sure. The list of things I have needed because my new laptop comes with only Thunderbolt 3 ports has been a bit surprising.

4 hours ago, zztop911 said:

TVs that fully support the next-gen consoles also need a new type of HDMI port to handle all that data: HDMI 2.1

So if you don't have that type of Port it's not going to be the best even though you have the screen resolution and refresh rate

You can just purchase a high quality hdmi 1.4 to 2.1 adapter but i'm pretty sure a 60hz monitor or TV will work regardless. For example in game someone with a low latency 120hz display has the advantage of seeing you come around a corner faster than you can see them, and when your dead your wondering if the game is broken or it a slow internet connection etc . 

1 hour ago, Con said:

For sure. The list of things I have needed because my new laptop comes with only Thunderbolt 3 ports has been a bit surprising.

Ive been window shopping online to see what it would cost to build a sleeper gaming PC & I was surprised at how costly it was, & more surprised at the youtubers that dare to recommend a processor that has over 8 cpu core's or motherboards with pcie 4.0. No exiting games will use the extra core's even in the near future nor use up the full read/ write bandwidth of the pcie 4.0, pcie 3.0 is more than capable. Its nuts out there man.

• Like 1

I wouldn't stress too much over the new HDMI standard. All we have is a bunch of specs on paper right now. I doubt there will be many (IF any at all) 4k 120 FPS games anytime soon.  4k is very demanding at 60FPS, let alone double that. 

Besides, folks have been playing GTAO at 1080 with 20 to 25 FPS for years, I doubt they will be rushing out to get 4K/120Hz TVs any time soon.

All the PS5 GTA will be is the current PC version on max settings. I'm already playing that and it is still a struggle to get super high FPS, especially in the city with a 30 player lobby.

On 10/6/2020 at 4:01 PM, Smurf said:

Ive been window shopping online to see what it would cost to build a sleeper gaming PC & I was surprised at how costly it was, & more surprised at the youtubers that dare to recommend a processor that has over 8 cpu core's or motherboards with pcie 4.0. No exiting games will use the extra core's even in the near future nor use up the full read/ write bandwidth of the pcie 4.0, pcie 3.0 is more than capable. Its nuts out there man.

It doesn't have to be expensive at all. There are some good reddit pages on PC building and how a good gaming rig doesn't HAVE to break the bank. The real insane part, price wise, is the GPU and even then one doesn't need the $1500 option to be happy.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2020 at 2:35 PM, Smurf said:

You can just purchase a high quality hdmi 1.4 to 2.1 adapter but i'm pretty sure a 60hz monitor or TV will work regardless. For example in game someone with a low latency 120hz display has the advantage of seeing you come around a corner faster than you can see them, and when your dead your wondering if the game is broken or it a slow internet connection etc . 

I haven't read any on the new standard, but I'd suspect it could be a bottleneck. I'm sure my tv will work fine.

I'm probably not gonna buy one release day. I just don't have any games I feel I just have to play that's on the PS5.

I'll just wait and see how this one works out.

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

1 hour ago, Sinister said:

The real insane part, price wise, is the GPU and even then one doesn't need the $1500 option to be happy.

Its best to start with the best resolution of your intended display & find the GPU's with the highest FPS for it, then deductive reason out the one that suits, after researching driver compatibility with your primary games, price, tdp, specs, display connectors & maybe case form factor.

3 hours ago, zztop911 said:

I'll just wait and see how this one works out.

Yeah its out in less than 5 weeks, hopefully more info comes out sooner.

I'm over hear thinking 🤔 Sony is playing the console hardware details close to their chest, when all it could be is a NDA between them & AMD as AMD have yet to revealed certain technology as of yet meaning Zen 2.

Edited by Smurf

Still can't get a pre-order :default_fire:

Seems to me the winner of the generation of console war will be the company with the most stock. Should be millions of consoles around.

I have given up on the pre-order.

There is nothing particularly want at launch so I’ll just wait a bit before picking one up. Might even wait until after Christmas.

Can you smell what the Stone is cooking?

13 minutes ago, JuniorChubb said:

I have given up on the pre-order.

There is nothing particularly want at launch so I’ll just wait a bit before picking one up. Might even wait until after Christmas.

Even if pre-orders aren’t available you’ll probably be able to pick one up from somewhere if wanted. 

I’m still in no major rush to get one instantly. 

• Like 1

Yesterday Amazon had more available for pre order. They sold quick but Amazon says more will be made available over the coming weeks.

Still worried that Currys are gonna email me saying they don’t have the stock. It’s not happened yet, and I can pay for it 28 days before release, which is next week I think.  Looking forward to the Miles Morales Spider-Man game. The first one was great fun.  Cyberpunk 2077 releases the same day as the PS5 as well.  May be very skint for a couple of months.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

Still worried that Currys are gonna email me saying they don’t have the stock. It’s not happened yet, and I can pay for it 28 days before release, which is next week I think.  Looking forward to the Miles Morales Spider-Man game. The first one was great fun.  Cyberpunk 2077 releases the same day as the PS5 as well.  May be very skint for a couple of months.

That Spider Man game is the reason my Daughter wants one RIGHT NOW. lol.

She is unaware that we found one so she is always emailing when she hears that someone has some available.

• Haha 1

A look at the PS5 UI.  It looks clean and fast.

And a video about it from Digital Foundry, who really know their sh*t.

Edited by LimeGreenLegend
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Amazon just informed us that our console will arrive on the 12th. Since it is an Xmas gift for our daughter it will stay boxed up until 25 Dec.

That is not going to be an easy thing for me to do, because the tech lover in me is going to want to see it in action.

Edited by Sinister
  • Like 2

Presenting the PS5. Not really all that heavy. Reminds me of the OG 4 with some curves cut into it. Comes with a support stand that screws onto the console. Controller feels great in the hands and has some weight to it. Rear of the console has lots of vents and you can just see some nice cooling setups in there. They definitely wanted to makes sure it stays cool. If it works is yet to be seen though.

The console is a gift for my daughter  and she has her own games to play, so no GTA V testing just yet. Wal Mart says they will have more available this evening so we will be trying to get one. If that happens I will be able to get more "hands on" with one.

125186828_152513143223309_62877508322791

125136618_152513179889972_11320176706894

125361776_152513213223302_14706361086873

124955345_152513153223308_25448537622342

• Like 4

PS5, the ultimate FAQ:

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/11/09/ps5-the-ultimate-faq/

"How does online multiplayer work with PS4 games when played on a PS5?

Whether you’re playing a multiplayer PS4 game on your PS4 or PS5 (via backward compatibility), you will be able to play with other players on either console for the same game.

If I’m playing a PS4 game, can I play with my friend who is playing the PS5 version of that game, or vice-versa?

It is possible to play together depending on the game, though support must be provided by the game’s developer.

Can PS4 and PS5 players communicate via voice chat?

Yes, PS4 and PS5 players (and users of the new PlayStation app for mobile devices) can communicate via voice chat in Parties. Depending on the game, in-game chat will also work across PS4 and PS5 versions of a game.

How will game invites work between the PS4 and PS5?

Players will be able to send and receive invitations for games that support cross-gen play across the PS4 and PS5. Once the PS5 launches, if you receive an invitation to join a game session, the notification will display which platform the game supports. If a PS5 game does not have a PS4 version available, PS4 players will not receive the invite."

Edited by zmurko
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/13/2020 at 9:40 PM, Sinister said:

I know some folks are getting the Spider Man game. It can brick the console so I would hold off on playing that until the issues are figured out.

https://www.inverse.com/gaming/ps5-storage-glitch-spider-man-remastered

Reminds me of Anthem game release.

@SinisterWhats the CFI model # of the PS5?

Edited by Smurf