• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LimeGreenLegend

• Con

• Fido_le_muet

• Spinnaker1981

Saw it last night. 

Like DJ, I watched it in less than ideal condition, taking care of the baby in the meantime and the quality of the film that I found wasn't perfect, most notably sound wise. Had to crank up the volume during dialogues but it was too loud when there was music or action scenes. 

Spoilers ahead ! 

Still liked it. It was a bit too long at the beginning. First scene with the killing in Marseille. I had no idea who that guy was until I read the summary on Wikipedia. It introduces the hitman but other than that it's unecessary. After reading Lime's post, I see that it also sets up the tone of the movie. And you have to put it back in the context of the time (the 70s). 

Slow paced beginning but then it accelerates until the ending. Definitely loved the second part better. At first I didn't really know where the movie was going. Probably because the baby didn't want her bottle and was pissing me off. The plot wasn't moving fast enough for my taste. Then everything falls into place. The car with the drugs in it, the connection between Sal and Charnier, Popeye's addiction to the case and him slowly losing it and becoming obsessed with taking out the dealers. 

The chase scene was really great. I liked that it wasn't too scripted like we always see nowadays. Great use of the lowered camera, gives a sense of speed and narrows the field of view. 

The ending was pretty great in the abandonned factory. I was mildly shocked when Popeye killed that fed and kept going like nothing happened. It kinda took away my interest in his character and I couldn't care less what happened to him after that. I wasn't really invested in him from the beginning but at the end it was much worse. But I guess it was the aim of the director, to show an antihero like that. 

Then the final scene with the gunshot and the black screen. I didn't know what to think of that until after I switched everything off and went to bed. But then I realised

that Popeye must have killed Charnier there and somehow covered it up with his buddy, hence why they're sent to another unit afterwards. But since it's based on real facts, I don't really know if it's the correct interpretation. Maybe Charnier went back to France after all.

Good movie, definitely not one of my fav but still liked it. You have to keep in mind the context of the time and the context of the film industry/cop movies at the time.

7/10

Special note : when the french man is eating at the restaurant, of course he is eating snails... Not cliché at all... But in fairness, it kinda suits the time period and how wealthy he is. I'll let it slide this once :D 

Edited by Fido_le_muet
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good write up @Fido_le_muet, I like your idea about the ending.  Just because it’s based on a real case doesn’t mean they have to make everything accurate.

And of course the rich Frenchman had to eat snails :D 

OK, now my turn...

I don´t get it. I just watched it for the 2nd time. I love the French setting, the bad guy, the focus of popeye,  but everything else seems like just another Hollywood cops movie, from the dirty cop apartment to the charismatic bad guy that really tries to kill him to the other cops disregarding his "gut feeling"...

The best chase scene in movie history? Really? OK, cool to know it was illegal and partly real, but it is hardly breathtaking and it is almost a straight line shot! It might be very good technical work for the time, but it didn´t age well. It is cool, but not awesome. 

Actually, I think that is it! This movie didn´t age well. this is from the same year as 007´s Diamonds are Forever and they seem like made in different decades, let alone the same year.

Could be personal taste, or lack of it, could be saturation on this genre of movies, could be that I was on an off day, but this movie just didn´t click with me... pity cos I really wanted to have loved it...

• Like 4

@Spinnaker1981 thanks for the viewpoint.

I think you felt it was like a lot of other Hollywood cop films is because they all copied this one.  Hopefully you'll like whatever the next film is :D

We start deciding the next film in a weeks time, so still plenty of time to watch The French Connection and post about it here!  Will you like it more or less than Spin? :P

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

@Spinnaker1981 thanks for the viewpoint.

I think you felt it was like a lot of other Hollywood cop films is because they all copied this one.  Hopefully you'll like whatever the next film is :D

We start deciding the next film in a weeks time, so still plenty of time to watch The French Connection and post about it here!  Will you like it more or less than Spin? :P

@LimeGreenLegend Don´t get me wrong, it was not wasted time at all! I love cinema and I loved the experience.

But comparing it to Bullitt (3 years earlier) or to other movies of the time (dirty harry, for example), it really seems dated. It is just to literal, to much revolving around popeye. And I never felt for him any kind of sympathy.

Still, I am glad I watched it. It is part of history and that is never, ever wasted time.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Spinnaker1981 said:

@LimeGreenLegend Don´t get me wrong, it was not wasted time at all! I love cinema and I loved the experience.

But comparing it to Bullitt (3 years earlier) or to other movies of the time (dirty harry, for example), it really seems dated. It is just to literal, to much revolving around popeye. And I never felt for him any kind of sympathy.

Still, I am glad I watched it. It is part of history and that is never, ever wasted time.

I guess a lot depends on how much you like the characters.  You can nominate a genre for next month in the main thread if there's any particular thing you wanna see.  So far we have horror, sci-fi, comedy and historical drama based on/inspired by real events pre mid 20th century :D 

• Like 1

I kinda agree with @Spinnaker1981 about the movie showing us only Popeye. There is almost zero interest for the supporting cast. I get that it was intentionnal to show an obsessed cop like this and Hackman does it well for the time but I find it lacks in that department. 

Also the chase scene, it was cool but I wouldn't call it the best in history either. I prefer Bullitt's as well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Watched it on Tuesday night and all I'm saying for now is thank the film gods for The French Connection. Review to come soon. I've decided not to use my usual review format so hopefully I can have my thoughts up before TNT tonight.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Con said:

Watched it on Tuesday night and all I'm saying for now is thank the film gods for The French Connection. Review to come soon. I've decided not to use my usual review format so hopefully I can have my thoughts up before TNT tonight.

I’m at work for the next ten hours, looking forward to it :) 

• Haha 1

1971 Best Picture Winner...The French Connection

The first thing that stood out for me the most about this film is the gritty NYC location, living just 40 minutes by train to most of the boroughs, it's amazing how much it has changed and while watching this I could not help to appreciate even more the production design of the film Roma that recreates 1971 Mexico City, just not easy to do and do it convincing, but back to TFC...I absolutely loved the locations, both France and Brooklyn, except ive been to Brooklyn over the decades and I could literally visit the shooting locations this weekend if I wanted to...although most of it has probably changed so much. 

I really enjoyed the performances by everyone, I don't recall any weak acting or moments i was taken away from the immersion. I felt the acting was the real strength of the film. Honestly, I was processing so much while watching this from the grit of the city and how different the social structure was, I mean, no cop can walk into any bar and force innocent people to just empty their pockets in 2019. So I can't imagine how much abuse of authority law enforcement had in 1970's NYC so I felt those scenes added tension since I kept saying, something is gonna happen to Popeye in one of these abuse of authority scenes, I mean no one else knew the real purpose for the shake-ups (to speak with his informant), which was a brilliant touch. 

I loved that the film exposed and revealed something that most people probably don't even believe about drug trafficking...that it is funded by Millionaires and Billionaires. In November of 2018, The US Coast Guard seized 18 tons (36,000 lbs) of cocaine. Now tell me, does anyone think a bunch of young brothers from the inner-city could round up the funds for 36,000 lbs of cocaine, own a boat or have money to pay someone to risk prison time to drive the boat to its location and FAITH that they have enough customers that will buy 36,000 lbs. Well if you believe that , then I feel bad for you, you are being duped. What I'm trying to say is, TFC shows us the type of humans that can orchestrate these immense drug trafficking operations and today we have people being accused of bringing drugs across the border but I know that my society looks the other way when it comes to holding the real people accountable. So I really thought that was brave as they could have gone with the "let's blame the poor for America's drug problem." and instead chose to stick to the true story that this is based on.

I loved that this was the first "R-Rated" film to win Best Picture because it told filmmakers everywhere that the Academy had grown up and it was okay to portray violence and strong language if it is used with relevance and coherence to tell help tell an amazing story. Can you guess what the 2nd R-Rated film to win Best Picture was?? It was The Godfather....what year did it win? 1972. Since TFC's win in 1971, 27 other R-Rated films have won Best Picture and it would have been a shame if none of those films would have ever qualified to win. 

Can't talk about this film without mentioning the chase scene, the camera work during those scenes was tremendous, the best editing in the film can be found here and it helped to immerse me into feeling thrills and chills as we see Popeye avoiding civilians and motorists with so many near misses and a few collisions, while above on the train, we are watching Pierre doing the opposite, he is amassing a body count and the scenes inside the train are just as exciting as the car chase. Just brilliant. The shots were we follow multiple characters were also really well done as we follow the cops and crooks as they go about their day, it really gave you a full scope of both worlds.

There were a few things that I found a bit on the negative side. I know it won an Oscar for Sound Mixing but I couldn't help to think how primitive that part of filmmaking must have been back then for this film to win an award for sound since I felt there were way too many moments when the actor moves their mouth but we hear no dialogue and sometimes the actors speak and we barely hear what is being said, i felt the audio was one of the lowlights of the film. Another thing I found odd were some of the spots Popeye chooses to do his stakeouts, I mean, some of them are literally in front of windows were the bad guys could have spotted him, blowing his cover. I also felt that the okey-doke Alain pulls on Popeye in the subway went a little too long but I appreciated that it was based on something that really happened to the real Popeye and it sets up that delicious moment when Alain is stopped on the bridge by the cops and Popeye gives him a taste of his own medicine, so ultimately the scene works but I did chuckle during it. I thought the car stripping scene was hilarious because why would the mechanic not check the obvious rocker panels?? It would have been great if the scene had played out where Popeye asks why he hadn't checked the rocker panels and the mechanic would have said, "I tried but the screws aren't American and I don't have the right tool here." Cut to another scene and cut back where someone has brought a tool to try and remove the rocker panels with and then reveal that Popeye was right about his hunch. 

I'm going to give this film a ...4/5...because I am taking into account the decade this was made in and I can imagine the thrill for moviegoers that attended this back in 1971. It must have been an amazing experience for them. The reason why I thank the Film Gods for this film is because it paved the way for the type of storytelling I enjoy....violent, gritty, great sequences, great dialogue, and committed acting. Hackman knocks it out of the park here and glad his acting won him the Oscar for Best Actor. I'm giving the significance of this film a ...5/5... for bringing a new wave of filmmakers and storytelling. One curiosity I have come across is that this film did not get the remake treatment over the years, I think this is a testament to how good this movie is that no one has felt it needs to be improved or modernized. 

Now I can go read all the reviews already posted and reply to some of your comments. Also thanks @Beez for submitting this film since I had no plans to watch it anytime soon. 

Edited by Con
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Fido_le_muet said:

I kinda agree with @Spinnaker1981 about the movie showing us only Popeye. There is almost zero interest for the supporting cast. I get that it was intentionnal to show an obsessed cop like this and Hackman does it well for the time but I find it lacks in that department. 

Also the chase scene, it was cool but I wouldn't call it the best in history either. I prefer Bullitt's as well. 

I think that since this film was based on the real cops, it was obvious that Popeye was the alpha and if the film had focused on Buddy, I don't think we get the same film. I got a Batman and Robin feel from Popeye and Buddy's dynamic. The bigger personality makes for better cinema.

I can see why the Bullitt chase scene can be considered more cinematic and I think it benefits from the gorgeous roads in San Francisco, with its hills and curves. the shot of the marina and bay. I mean the sequence is pure car chase eye-candy. I mean you watch it and you feel like you are playing GTA when they go 1st person from inside the car. While I agree that Bullitt's looks better, I like what I was feeling watching TFC's chase probably because like I stated, the body-count above on the train really added to me wanting Popeye to catch up to that train before its next stop. I just found the whole of the chase scene in TFC more thrilling and dangerous, almost like I was participating and not just observing the scene. TFC's chase was about speed while Bullitt's seemed to be more about power. I'm going with a tie. :D

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Spinnaker1981 said:

OK, now my turn...

I don´t get it. I just watched it for the 2nd time. I love the French setting, the bad guy, the focus of popeye,  but everything else seems like just another Hollywood cops movie, from the dirty cop apartment to the charismatic bad guy that really tries to kill him to the other cops disregarding his "gut feeling"...

The best chase scene in movie history? Really? OK, cool to know it was illegal and partly real, but it is hardly breathtaking and it is almost a straight line shot! It might be very good technical work for the time, but it didn´t age well. It is cool, but not awesome. 

Actually, I think that is it! This movie didn´t age well. this is from the same year as 007´s Diamonds are Forever and they seem like made in different decades, let alone the same year.

Could be personal taste, or lack of it, could be saturation on this genre of movies, could be that I was on an off day, but this movie just didn´t click with me... pity cos I really wanted to have loved it...

This is why I love cinema discussion. I like that it didn't click all the way with you. I've felt the same way about movies that others have really liked. 

13 minutes ago, Con said:

This is why I love cinema discussion. I like that it didn't click all the way with you. I've felt the same way about movies that others have really liked. 

Same here, I don’t like The Godfather, other people (a lot of people) seem to really like it.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2019 at 1:24 PM, Fido_le_muet said:

Saw it last night. 

Like DJ, I watched it in less than ideal condition, taking care of the baby in the meantime and the quality of the film that I found wasn't perfect, most notably sound wise. Had to crank up the volume during dialogues but it was too loud when there was music or action scenes. 

Spoilers ahead ! 

Still liked it. It was a bit too long at the beginning. First scene with the killing in Marseille. I had no idea who that guy was until I read the summary on Wikipedia. It introduces the hitman but other than that it's unecessary. After reading Lime's post, I see that it also sets up the tone of the movie. And you have to put it back in the context of the time (the 70s). 

Slow paced beginning but then it accelerates until the ending. Definitely loved the second part better. At first I didn't really know where the movie was going. Probably because the baby didn't want her bottle and was pissing me off. The plot wasn't moving fast enough for my taste. Then everything falls into place. The car with the drugs in it, the connection between Sal and Charnier, Popeye's addiction to the case and him slowly losing it and becoming obsessed with taking out the dealers. 

The chase scene was really great. I liked that it wasn't too scripted like we always see nowadays. Great use of the lowered camera, gives a sense of speed and narrows the field of view. 

The ending was pretty great in the abandonned factory. I was mildly shocked when Popeye killed that fed and kept going like nothing happened. It kinda took away my interest in his character and I couldn't care less what happened to him after that. I wasn't really invested in him from the beginning but at the end it was much worse. But I guess it was the aim of the director, to show an antihero like that. 

Then the final scene with the gunshot and the black screen. I didn't know what to think of that until after I switched everything off and went to bed. But then I realised

Reveal hidden contents

that Popeye must have killed Charnier there and somehow covered it up with his buddy, hence why they're sent to another unit afterwards. But since it's based on real facts, I don't really know if it's the correct interpretation. Maybe Charnier went back to France after all.

Good movie, definitely not one of my fav but still liked it. You have to keep in mind the context of the time and the context of the film industry/cop movies at the time.

7/10

Special note : when the french man is eating at the restaurant, of course he is eating snails... Not cliché at all... But in fairness, it kinda suits the time period and how wealthy he is. I'll let it slide this once :D 

Superb analysis!!! I forgot to mention the ending in my review. I thought it was pretty jarring as I just remembered what went through my head in that last act. Once Popeye kills that agent, I believe the character was Muldrig, who I thought was the Sargent that displays disdain towards Popeye when he is asked for the department to spend resources for their case, I thought that is who was killed by Popeye in the abandoned factory. As soon as he is killed, I thought, "that was stupid, that could have been avoided if these cops were smart since the last thing you want to do to your fellow cops is startle them or be confused for the suspect"....and this is exactly what happens...now while I didnt care about Popeye, I still loved his passion to catch these fat cat bad guys, with their fancy living. Take the restaurant scene where Popeye is standing across the street, Buddy brings him a coffee and some pastry, he is outside freezing eating a snack while the bad guys are having a fancy five course meal...Popeye was an angry cop, a product of his environment, he calls the car thieves "spics", I didnt feel that he says that necessarily out of racism but more out of anger that they werent the bad guys he really wanted to catch. I also never got the impression that Popeye required or expected any sympathy. He knew he was sort of a loose cannon. 

Edited by Con
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

Same here, I don’t like The Godfather, other people (a lot of people) seem to really like it.

LMAO. I also don't like it as much as most people. I always felt that the mafia, "we will take care of you like family, but first you have to risk going to jail or being killed." is just silly, like the inner-city gangs that use the same concept. Yet one group is almost romanticized (admired) while the other group is definitely not viewed in the same light despite the similarities in how the organizations operate. Yeah, I'm no fan of double-standards.

But I also think it's important to remember that not everyone is going to love your "baby".

@LimeGreenLegend I'm tackling your analysis later today as I cannot believe how fast time went by since I jumped in here and I really need to go to bed. 

Edited by Con
  • Like 2

I love that film club already :D 

Very cool to have people opinions and discussing a movie like that. 

About Buddy being transparent in the movie, I didn't say he would have been better as a principal character but it could have added something to give him a bit more to say and do other than being a glorified extra in the movie. I think the director would have focused a bit more on the relationships between the two to highlight the growing gap between the obsessed Popeye and a more by the book Buddy.

Can't wait for the next movie :D 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

I love that film club already :D 

Very cool to have people opinions and discussing a movie like that. 

About Buddy being transparent in the movie, I didn't say he would have been better as a principal character but it could have added something to give him a bit more to say and do other than being a glorified extra in the movie. I think the director would have focused a bit more on the relationships between the two to highlight the growing gap between the obsessed Popeye and a more by the book Buddy.

Can't wait for the next movie :D 

Totally agree that Roy Schieder didn’t get much to do at all.  In my notes I called him Roy because I didn’t even remember his characters name :D 

I’m not sure why he even got nominated for an Oscar, not that he was bad, he was just hardly there.  Easiest award nomination he ever got.

Edited by LimeGreenLegend
  • Like 2

@LimeGreenLegend "I got a man in Poughkeepsie that wants to talk to you. You ever Tip Touch in Poughkeepsie...?"

When they catch up with the suspect Popeye starts to beat the shit out of him, so we already know that this guy is not a hero.  The "picking your feet in Poughkeepsie" lines also show that he is also not conventional in his methods, making not so much a good cop/bad cop dynamic, more a good cop/insane cop one. [During my post-viewing research, i came across an interview where they speak about this scene and how it was the scene they shot on DAY ONE of principle photography, but deep down inside the actors and director knew what they captured sucked, it lacked dynamism and chemistry and didn't "sell" the good/bad cop routine. So they decided that they would shoot the scene at another date. So after shooting most of the other scenes they went back to re-shooting this scene and they blew it out the fucking water because by then Roy and Gene had built a rapport and by then had found their characters voices as well and made the scene that more impactful and CONVINCING. I thought that was just brilliant insight.]

In the next scene, in the nightclub, we see that he can also be charming when he needs to be, flirting with the hostess and joking and laughing around.  Having the real girl group, The Three Degrees, singing about going to the moon made me laugh, just because it time-stamped the film so much.  Just from that you would know it was made between 69-71.  The song fades out when Popeye focuses in on Sal Boca, replaced with a sustained high note, indicating his focus, showing that he's always on the job.  [Allow me to be a bit shallow for a moment,  I fell in love with the hostess he flirts with, I thought she was gorgeous and wish she had more screen-time. That entire scene was one of my favorites, I did not know the Three Degrees was a real group so that was cool to learn.]

There was a strange shot of a hat in the back window of the car that confused me, so I looked it up, and that was a was of cops back in the day indicating that they were undercover on a case.  The music in this scene is fantastic, it's very sparse to begin with, becoming very off-beat.  I wrote it down as "dark jazz", it fits the setting and the character of Popeye really well. [I also wondered why the camera focused on the straw hat and learned its meaning post-viewing as well. I liked the score music but there were many scenes where I felt the wrong tone of music was playing. I wish I would have wrote down those moments but I usually only take mental notes while watching it and all I know is that several moments I said, I wish this scene had that music they used for that other scene. Maybe I will look up those scenes to elaborate more on what I'm saying]

I love how during all of this Buddy is just casually standing in the background, letting him get on with it. [I actually had a different thought about Buddy to be honest, I felt that he was too much in the background and too quiet, so much so that I started to think, Buddy is gonna betray Popeye. And when Buddy goes to the parking garage where the heroin-car is parked and suddenly I think its Sal that shows up behind him and the way they briefly play off each other , I thought for a moment, "I was right, Buddy is working with the traffickers." So that is probably why I had no issue with Buddy being written as almost an after thought as I had my own Buddy narrative going on in my head.]

We cut to a bar, the next morning.  Popeye, who has been asleep at the bar, wakes up and looks like shit.  He clearly hasn't changed clothes, hasn't shaved, bags under the eyes.  I assume he's been up at the bar all night drinking, but also working on the case.  The radio on the bar is talking about moving to Florida, saying how sunny it is, talking about the fresh air. [I also enjoyed those "Move to a better life" commercials that are sprinkled throughout the film.]

This film isn't afraid to take it's time.  It's also not bogged down with any subplots or romantic interests.  The plot is the plot and there's nothing else. [Yes, I also agree that leaving out sappy moments was a great choice.]

Popeye eventually tails Chernier to a luxury hotel where, from outside, he watches him enjoy a lavish lunch.  Here we again see the different lives our main characters live, Charnier is in the lap of luxury, bright lights and colours and rich food and fine clothes while Popeye is out on the street in the cold, his nose is running, he's rubbing his hands together and stamping his feet to stay warm. [As i said in my review, those scenes filled with contrasts are why I accepted Popeye's tough angry cop personality, and take no prisoners mentality.]

Leaving New York for the first time in a while, we now find ourselves in Washington D.C.  Charnier has come here, out of Popeye's reach, to meet with Sal Boca, who is now very paranoid.  On the flight back Charnier tells Nicoli, his private assassin and the killer from the first scene, that "he sees policemen in his soup".  Nicoli says he should kill Popeye but Charnier tells him to leave it because some other cop would just replace him.  Nicoli then says that they'll be back in France in a few days before that could happen.  The scene ends without Charnier saying either yes or no, so you are left in doubt as to Popeye's safety. [I really liked this scene a lot as it showed that Nicoli was truly a psycho.]

Back in New York, Popeye is getting admonished by his chief over the case, "you've wasted two months on this".  This reflects the slow pace of the film, and it also shows how obsessed Popeye is getting.  He's not on any other case, he's purely focused on Charnier, especially after he humiliated him on the subway.  We then see him walking through the streets, looking dejected.  Out of nowhere he is shot at.  The shot misses him but hits a woman pushing a pram, leaving the baby screaming.  [Really enjoyed the decision to kill the mother pushing the carriage as it added a darkness to it all, but I hated the way the chase is made to be plausible, I mean, I've been in those tall NYC housing buildings and what they show us is almost impossible for Popeye to catch up to the shooter who obviously was on his way down while Popeye was on the way up and once arriving at the rooftop Popeye sees the rifle and then the shooter running down below...next thing we see is Popeye chasing behind the shooter on the streets and I was like, Did Popeye attend the Jason Vorhees speed-walking class? This is one of the few things that bothered me about the film, why did almost every criminal being chased, run in a straight line, had the shooter took a left or a right, Popeye would have never spotted him because if you watch the scene again, you will see that the shooter just ran in a straight line, why?  there were so many ways you can take off running and never be seen and I know it leads to the famous chase scene but perhaps dont let Popeye get all the way to the rooftop, have time to spot the sniper rifle and then have enough speed to catch up to the Shooter. Again minor things that for me could have been fixed if say in that sniper shooter sequence, we see Popeye get upset he lost the shooter but then show Buddy ramming his car into the shooter, giving Buddy some importance...when Popeye fucks up, Buddy saves the day.]

Following this we see Sal Boca and all his guys looking busy.  Popeye has killed Nicoli and this seems to have shaken up the hive a bit, everyone has a bit more urgency, and the music for this scene reflects this.   We see Buddy tailing Boca into a parking garage.  A long, high sustained note when he enters and comes face to face with him, but Sal doesn't know who and doesn't suspect anything, but Buddy has seen the heroin car. [As i said above, that sound effect made me feel like Buddy was betraying Popeye and I was a little confused during that scene, I actually rewinded it to make sure I had not missed dialogue that clarified that, turns out it was just a chance encounter.]

We're now at the drug deal.  There is basically no dialogue here, again you are shown everything you need to know, you don't need anyone saying it. [Yes, I liked how this was done, quick and to the point. I mean, by then we are waiting for the bust or the deal.] 

The final scene of the film is shot almost like a horror film (Friedkin will later direct The Exorcist) lost of slow POV shots of Popeye walking through a decrepit abandoned warehouse, sudden movement in the corner of the room.  He opens fire, but he didn't shoot Charnier, he shot one of the FBI agents helping with the case.  He doesn't care though, shows no remorse.  He wants Charnier and he's going to get him.  He hears a noise and walks in to a room.  The camera stays outside.  There is a gunshot and it cuts to black. [Loved the gritty location, just always dislike when people with guns are walking from room to room without communicating to avoid friendly fire. I don't blame Popeye for killing a good guy in the end, I do blame the good guy for entering the building and not making sure other cops knew he was there too and in fact, right after Popeye sees the figure running across that hallway, we see another figure in the shadows behind Popeye and I thought, oh shit Popeye gonna die, but nope its Buddy and they dont even have any exchange of dialogue during that intense moment and then Popeye shoots the figure in the distance who turns out to be Muldrig.]

I really wish the film ended there, it would be perfect.  I don't need to know what happened in that room, if Popeye shot Charnier or the other way around.  Or if it even was Charnier.  Unfortunately, there are title cards after that tell you what happened to everyone after the film.  Charnier got away and was never caught, and Popeye and Buddy got transferred to a different department, so what happened in that room?  Who shot who?  Most of the criminals involved got away with very lenient sentences, which is also unsatisfying.  This is based on what really happened, but I'd rather not know any of it, just let the film end after that last gunshot. [I think Buddy would have been a better guy to shoot (not kill) because then we have a reason for the camera to remain stagnant as now an even more angry and determined Popeye (you made me shoot my partner you mothafucka!!!) runs off in the distance and then we hear the gunshot and fade to black, because the end felt odd to me in that the entire film we follow Popeye and the bad guys around documentary-style and then we don't get to follow Popeye to see what he was shooting at probably the most climatic moment in the film. I didn't mind the exposition montage at the end because people get away with crimes all the time.]

Despite not liking the very ending of the film, I still think it is absolutely fantastic.  The direction, acting, music, editing, everything works together towards a common vision.  It's not overly complicated like a lot of films like this tend to be, the plot is very straightforward and is given room and time to develop in a natural way.  I totally believe all of the actions that every character perform and I believe the reasons behind them.  I particularly loved the music, there isn't too much of it, which really helps the atmosphere of the film, and when it was there it was there to enhance the action, not dictate it.  Gene Hackman is a fantastic actor, and this film shows that.  He's not a likeable character, but I loved watching him.  Roy Schieder was just kind of there, but he's always a solid actor.  Fernando Rey and Tony Lo Bianco were also really good as Charnier and Sal Boca.  To me, this film really exemplifies everything that 70s Hollywood would become in the next few years and is just a straight up brilliant crime drama.  9/10 [I also gave it the exact score in my scoring system....4/5...it's not perfect by any means but I thought it was somewhat brave in what it did at times but more importantly how it paved the way for the acceptance of R-Rated films, my favorite shits!!! The acting is superb and the story elements would lead to even more clever crime films. Bravo to the Academy for recognizing this film in 1971.]

Edited by Con
  • Haha 1

It's incredible how r-rated movies have evolved since then. There was only a gunshot to the face and a couple of shotgun rounds to the chest in the whole movie. That would not even be PG something nowadays...

• Like 2

I just finished the movie and I've not read anyone's reviews/opinion yet, but I'm gonna jump right in; spoils and all! I did get a bit of motion sickness in the beginning when they were filming the undercover policeman walking through town because it gave off a handheld camcorder sensation. Right after I saw that I was hoping that it wasn't going to be filmed in that perspective throughout the rest of the movie 'cause I would've stopped watching. 

I am completely in love with Charnier's house, Avenue De L'Amiral Ganteaume, Cassis, Bouches-du-Rhone, France. When he walked along the side of the house and you can see the shoreline along with the ocean waves splashing against the rocks .. gosh, I was just blown away by the scenery!  Would love to go to Rue des Moulins off Rue Du Panier, Old Town of Marseille, Bouches-du-Rhône, France, where the undercover policeman carrying the bread walks through; the clickety-clackety sound of their shoes on the pavement when they walk, the clear skies, the breeze, the sun shining, and the flock of pedestrians going on about their day - it was just so beautiful!  

I want to go there... sugar daddy, where you at?!

Very impressed on the chasing scene in the beginning of the film. The way the camera was moving along side them as they ran down the sidewalk made you feel like you were a part of the action; it felt so real, so raw, hearing their pants, heavy breathing from the physical exertion, and actually seeing them get tired from running (yes, Gene, I saw you slow down at the very last scene of that chase). I bet that Santa Claus outfit had something to do with it. Haha. I have to say that throughout the film, Gene portrays quite an aggressive character from the physicality aspect and personality. I wasn't too fond of the random busts in parlors full of African Americans and especially when Popeye used the n-word. My mouth literally dropped open in shock like, "Whhaatt?! HE SAID THAT?!" LOL. I appreciate the contrast between the characters of Popeye and Cloudy; it balances the movie out well. Cloudy was real chill and I was waiting for Popeye to get some R&R at some point (and picking up that girl on the bike to bump bellies while getting your ankle cuffed to the bed does not count. LOL) because Popeye's constant itch to always find someone to pin for drug trafficking did get under my skin a bit. I was really in awe when I saw the types of vehicles they were driving.. those were some bad ass looking cars! I'd like to have one! I loved the attire that the male cast was wearing. Suited them very well; masculine and fitting. GQ!

Charnier and Pierre were having the time of their lives in that damn restaurant! DID YOU SEE ALL THE FOOD THEY ATE?! Oh my god, I wanted to be there so bad! They literally had a 5-course meal! I don't know what they had, but it looked appealing to my eyes from the camera view. You also can't forget that piece of bread that Pierre ripped off after shooting that undercover policemen point blank in the beginning of the film. Haha. When I saw that, I was like, "Well damn, Pierre must be hungry or he really didn't want that bread to go to waste." LOL. I'd like to know what type of sandwich the undercover policeman was having in the beginning of the film because the first thing I thought of when I saw him eat that was a grilled cheese sandwich; not American cheese, but Jarlsberg cheese. Mmmm! Oh, and when I saw Cloudy make that hot dog - my mouth watered. Geezus. 

It was a bit disappointing that Pierre Nicoli failed to murder Popeye successfully. His sniper aim reminds me of my skills in GTA. HAHA.  I feel that it wasn't quite realistic when he saw Pierre run off across the street when he was on the rooftop looking down and that by the time he went down those flights of stairs that he'd know Pierre would be at the train station. I did find it humorous that Charnier duped Popeye in the subway. I mean, Popeye made it so obvious with the tailing during the walk down the street to the flower shop, to being just a few bystanders away from Charnier in the subway train, and then standing right on the other side of the vendor looking at Charnier in his peripheral vision! C'mon Popeye! A little more stealth!

I was surprised and immensely impressed of their idea to hide the drugs inside the rocker panel of the vehicle. When I saw them tear down the car to almost nothing; I was about to laugh in Popeye's face until they figured out what was left to check then I was bummed out. You can tell I kind of don't like Popeye. Haha. I didn't care too much for the other characters like Boca, his wife Angie, and the TV personality Henri. They didn't do much for me in the film whether it was no lines spoken or not enough interaction from their part in the movie. 

I had a gut feeling that something bad was going to happen in that last scene where Popeye chases after Charnier into the abandon building and you see Mulderig follow suit. I was thinking to myself like, "Ok, either Popeye or Mulderig is going to get shot, but I just don't know by whom." Then BOOM.. Mulderig gets shot by Popeye because Popeye was under the assumption that the guy who was at the doorway was Charnier. I cannot believe that Popeye had no remorse or empathy for accidentally shooting Mulderig. He was just so concentrated and determined to take down Charnier! Not even an apology! Thank goodness Cloudy had compassion for the loss and look Popeye in the face like, "Dude, you're a crew killer." I also would like to know who took that last bullet - my guess would be that Popeye "accidentally" shot someone else since Charnier was never found. 

Ok, I'm gonna wrap this up because I'm falling asleep on the laptop. Overall, the movie was pretty good. I enjoyed the story line and the performances by Gene and Roy were well done. I'd rate this a 9 out of 10.