RSC Film Club

LimeGreenLegend

• 2 weeks later...

It's a new month so time for a new film.  For the time being we're gonna forgo the genre nominations and just nominate any film you like.  We'll still be doing stuff like Halloween and Christmas films, and if you do have a request for a theme then post it here and we can do it in the future, but for the time being just nominate whatever you like 🙂 

My nomination for September is The Seventh Seal

Winner will be picked on Monday.

ingmar bergman GIF by Maudit

• Like 3

I have a couple ideas for categories. How about films you feel are underrated or under appreciated.  And maybe guilty pleasures. Movies you love but maybe don’t want to admit to. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, omarcomin71 said:

I have a couple ideas for categories. How about films you feel are underrated or under appreciated.  And maybe guilty pleasures. Movies you love but maybe don’t want to admit to. 

Since next month is horror month how about guilty pleasures for November 🙂 

• Like 1

sorry about the delay, my dad was hospitalised earlier this week and I've been kinda distracted.  All is good now though, he's home, and we have a new film for the film club!

Next month is Halloween so it's horror films, then in November we'll be doing guilty pleasures thanks to @omarcomin71, and we'll be rounding out the year with Christmas films, so start thinking of your nominations now 🙂 

If you have any topic ideas for the future throw them in this thread and I'll schedule them in for the future.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

It's October so that means one thing, horror month.  

I'll kick off the nominations with the vampire film Ganja & Hess.

The winner will be selected on Monday 🙂 

duane jones GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre

• Like 1

The Nun (2018)

No idea what this is like, just said "horror films" into my Sky remote and this is one it suggested that looked vaguely interesting to me.

• Like 2

I’ll nominate the original An American Werewolf in London. I was just a kid when this came out. I remember it being scary as hell. I’d like to see if it holds up. 
image.jpeg.cb8e370e012fe03a2beb91b2c52b9480.jpeg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

November's category was nominated by @omarcomin71 a while back, and I think it will get some fun film nominations.  That category is guilty pleasures.

My number one guilty pleasure, Can't Stop the Music, has already been covered by the film club (funnily enough it wasn't me who nominated it, you can thank @Sinister for that).

So, my nomination is gonna be the 1995 killer ape film, Congo.

Winner will be picked on Thursday 🙂 

Hungry Tim Curry GIF

• Like 3

I’m a little embarrassed to admit that one of my favorite movies as a teen was Cocktail staring Tommy C. 
The thought of being a bartender and eventually opening my own bar sounded fun and exciting. I must’ve watch this 20 times. However it’s  been a while, I need to watch it again. 🙂

EC5634C5-9474-4A36-8434-F7A7299EB89F.gif.482bdb5fffde099da03a4f4f306e2786.gif

• Like 2

Hmm .. a difficult pick for me. Because I'm the sort of person who thinks sort of 'I like it so, what is there to feel guilty about?'

But a film I like, that is technically not that good and with some really corny lines, but does have some great music, without which I would not like it.

Flash Gordon (1980)

flash gordon flashahaaa savior of the universe GIF by Maudit

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

it's December so that can only mean one thing at the film club, Christmas films.  The winner will be picked on Friday 🙂 

I'll start the nominations with The Muppet Christmas Carol

I already have an idea for January's category, but if you have any more genre's you'd like to cover post it here.

Its-a-very-merry-muppet-christmas-movie GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 3

I’ll nominate a movie that makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

One Magic Christmas 

teaser:

clip: I 

A great family movie with a great message. 

Edited by omarcomin71
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Happy New Year everyone!  We're starting out 2023 in the film club with a bang, because for January we are going to be watching the newly crowned GREATEST FILM EVER MADE!!!! Wow, exciting!  

Last month Sight and Sound magazine published the results of their once-a-decade poll to determine what the best film ever is.  The first poll, in 1952, was won by a beautiful Italian neo-realist film called Bicycle Thieves (very much worth watching), the next five polls, between 1962-2002, were dominated by Citizen Kane (a former film club selection), which was knocked off the top spot in 2012 by Hitchcock's Vertigo (surprisingly I've not seen it, but I'm sure it's good).  

But we have an all new winner for 2022.  After over 1600 ballots were counted the votes were clear.  The new greatest film ever made, and our first film club film for 2023, is Chantal Akerman's masterpiece of experimental feminist cinema Jeanne Dielman, 23, quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles from 1975.

The rest of the top ten are as follows:

2. Vertigo/Alfred Hitchcock/1958

3. Citizen Kane/Orson Welles/1941

4. Tokyo Story/Yasujiro Ozu/1954

5. In The Mood for Love/Wong Kar-wai/2000

6. 2001: A Space Odyssey/Stanley Kubrick/1968

7. Beau Travail/Claire Denis/1999

8. Mulholland Drive/David Lynch/2001

9. Man With a Movie Camera/Dziga Vertov/1929

10.  Singin' in the Rain/Stanley Donen, Gene Kelly/1952

If you're interested here's the full list - https://letterboxd.com/bfi/list/sight-and-sounds-greatest-films-of-all-time/

In March we'll be covering an Oscar winning film, as that's when the show is this year, but we need a genre/category for next month, so if you have a suggestion leave it here 🙂 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

And we're back!  Since we missed last month I figured we'd do an Oscars double bill this month, so nominate two films, one with an Oscar winning lead performance by an actor, and one with an Oscar winning lead performance by an actress.  

My picks are:

Anthony Hopkins for The Father and Liza Minelli for Cabaret 

The winning films will be randomly selected by the wheel of fortune next week 🙂 

• Like 3