RSC Film Club

LimeGreenLegend

On 4/26/2021 at 3:25 AM, LimeGreenLegend said:

It was a close call @Con but in the end I came out on top 10-9! 

You absolutely crushed the acting awards but I made it up with the technical awards.  Between us we're pretty good at predicting this sh*t!  

As for the film I would like you to review, you'll be thankful that it's not a musical 😄 

You may actually like this, it's by Lars von Trier, whose film The House that Jack Built I recall you enjoying, and it stars Willem Dafoe, who I know you are a fan of.  I want you to watch this for a specific scene, which I won't even hint at, but you'll know it when it happens.  I have reviewed this somewhere on the site, so you may already know what I'm talking about, but you have to see it to believe it. 

I would like you to review 2009's Antichrist.

I watched it and I'm sure I have a review in here for Antichrist. So give me something challenging bro. This is your chance to get me to watch anything, yeah musical would be my least fave but do your thing. You won the competition.

I found it:

Antichrist (2009)...4/5...The cinematography was hauntingly beautiful and while I appreciated the er*ticism ( i watched the full p*netration Edition) and nudity,  I don't know that I cared for what was going on in the film in general cause of the slow burn that takes up most of the time, but if you like metaphors and coming up with your own conclusions then you will enjoy it as much as i ultimately did.. I did enjoy how it can have different meaning to people with its imagery and story. At one point I even said, "Oh He is the antichrist and she was a single mom and perhaps she was masturbating when the accident happened and she imagines "He" (Willem DaFoe) the entire time and we are watching is the story of a lonely n*mpho.

But the film also works as a tale of a couple that go into the woods to mourn and have to confront the thing responsible for the accident, their passion, I mean, imagine that in real life, how does a couple approach that activity the same ever again? And when they do, will one have to stop because of the memories? The how do I say it, The roast beef cutting scene was pretty good except we do see when the real thing is replaced with the prop, I mean of course no actress was really going to mutilate her g*nitals in real life, but just start out with the prop but use the real actresses arms, either way it was a cool shock moment.

My favorite scene was when we find out that the accident could have been prevented but a choice was made....now that was a GUT PUNCH!!! I didn't expect that and honestly made me sit up and pay attention the rest of the way as honestly  it was starting to get mundane with the whole therapy pyschobabble stuff. And what was with drilling that wheel into his leg? I laughed the entire sequence. I liked the symbolism of the mutilations at the end and how they relate to the central horror element and just the discussions I could have with just that part of the film alone elevated my score. Why should you watch it? You dont fear Von Trier's visual style and you found a copy of the director's cut and want to see some unrated shocking moments including a vicious t*sticle smashing the likes you haven't seen before, in other words I hope it caught just the Frank cause if it smashed the beans, he done for life.

Edited by Con
  • Like 2

@ConI thought you had already seen that.  

Okay, how about a romantic French musical, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg 🙂 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

@ConI thought you had already seen that.  

Okay, how about a romantic French musical, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg 🙂 

Fine. I'll watch the f*cking umbrellas. Is that the one i promised to watch whenever i had an, ahem, sensitive moment?

😄 

Edited by Con
  • Haha 1

It's time to (belatedly) nominate a genre for this month.

My nomination is for any film that was, at time of release, controversial for any reason.

Will spin for the winning category on Wednesday 🙂 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

My nomination is for any film that was, at time of release, controversial for any reason.

I second that.

• Like 2

Hello Film Club party people!!! Sorry for the delay this month. In the spirit of saving valuable time, I think we will just assign a genre this month, and as you may or may not be aware, Lime suggested Controversial Films at Time of Release.

giphy.gif

Here is a resource for you so you dont even have to go searching for film ideas. 

https://www.filmsite.org/controversialfilms2.html

We will spin the wheel on Saturday. So please get those submissions in!!

Thank you again for participating!!!

• Like 1

Looking at that list Con posted, so many great films there that don't seem that controversial to me.

My nomination, one I can understand being on the list, Shortbus.

• Like 1

Life of Brian

Blue is Warmest Color

Shortbus

The Green Inferno

so these are the four noms so far. I meant to spin this thing over the weekend but didn’t get a chance too. Was hoping to get a few more noms but, nope.

I’ll try to spin the wheel from work but if I can’t I will do it as soon as I get home later. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Beez said:

@Conhow about The Interview? That was controversial.

I'm sure he can throw that on the wheel too 🙂 

And the controversial film winner is...

This film is a controversy wrapped in a controversy at the moment, it is only right that it won. Seth Rogan made a statement just recently about not working with Franco again since some allegations have come to light about James. 

I have never watched this, but remember these two getting death threats because they made the film. 

Edited by Con
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Film Fans....I know everyone is slowly going back to work and with summer approaching, surely watching movies will return to being that special escape once again. 

Let's start taking some genre submissions from now until Sunday night. Unless Lime has a genre theme in mind;

I will start by submitting the genre:

Action

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/10/2021 at 11:21 PM, Con said:

And the controversial film winner is...

This film is a controversy wrapped in a controversy at the moment, it is only right that it won. Seth Rogan made a statement just recently about not working with Franco again since some allegations have come to light about James. 

I have never watched this, but remember these two getting death threats because they made the film. 

What allegations about James? 

2 hours ago, Squirrel said:

As the Euro Championships are about to start I’m going to suggest Football films. 

And by football you mean soccer?

13 minutes ago, Beez said:

And by football you mean soccer?

Yeah football. The game where you kick the ball with your foot. 

Soccer was originally an English term for the game when it was new.  It was a shortened version of Association Football to differentiate it from Rugby Football.  Eventually the games just became known as football and rugby respectively.  

That aside, I'll nominate something less specific than @Squirrel,  Sports Films.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheFox2000unit said:

What allegations about James? 

He's basically a s*x pest towards questionably young girls, even tweeting "I hope parents keep their teens away from me".  He was also violent and abusive on sets, particularly towards women.  

• Like 1