The Dorm that Dripped Blood

The Star Wars Holiday Special

Edited by LimeGreenLegend
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

we did Gremlins last Christmas if you wanna pick another nomination

In that case this is going down. 

Star Wars Holiday Special. 

(I may be kicked from film club after this)

• Haha 4

The results are in for our festive film extravaganza.  First up is the traditional film, with the winner being...

PfKUDWI.jpg

Nominated by @Squirrel, the Chris Columbus directed, John Hughes scripted 1990 classic Home Alone.

And the alternative Christmas film is...

PUQtcvh.jpg

Nominated by @djw180, Brazil, a dystopic vision of an Orwellian future from the mind of Monty Python member Terry Gilliam. 

I was a little disappointed that The Star Wars Holiday Special didn't win, as it's legendarily bad and something I haven't seen before, but the integrity of the wheel must be maintained!  I'm still going to watch it though, and there's a good quality version on YouTube, so if anyone wants to join me...

I'll do the sperate threads for the winning films sometime tomorrow, got too much sh*t to do right now followed by 12 hours of work.

• Like 1

When I saw that I had been tagged in this thread I feared the worst. 

For those who haven’t seen the holiday special, even being told that it is bad doesn’t prepare you enough for how bad it actually is. 

Home Alone is a classic though so happy that’s been selected. 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

It's a new year for the film club and the first chance to nominate a genre in 2021, even though it is a few days later than usual.  I'm hoping 2021 will be a happier year than 2020, so will be nominating a genre to kick the year off right, Musicals. (sorry @Con)

Nominations will be open for a couple of days before being drawn 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, LimeGreenLegend said:

Musicals. (sorry @Con)

lmao. You do your thing, I’ll watch whatever the wheel wants. lol. 

And yes, 2020 was a brutal year in so many ways. Not even movies could help us escape the hell.

I don’t have a genre for in mind so I’ll get back to ya. 

• Like 1

I've had enough of my picks come up recently. So no nomination from me for genre nor film. I'll just watch whatever gets picked and enjoy, or not, as the case may be 😉

• Like 1

Musicals sounds good... make that 2... 

“Start the car
I know a whoopee spot
Where the gin is cold
But the piano's hot

It's just a noisy hall
Where there's a nightly brawl
And all that jazz”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Squirrel said:

Should I nominate a different genre though or let fate decide 🤔

You could put in a third vote for musicals and pretty much guarantee it for this month, but other nominations are always welcome 🙂 

The spin had been made, but I had to go to work so I’ll leave you in suspense as to the result until tomorrow morning 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

And the first genre for 2021 is...

nm7FhbN.jpg

Sorry @Con, the wheel can be cruel sometimes.  Do you want to pick the winning film sometime on Monday?

As for my nomination, I was gonna pick one of my favourites, Little Voice, but instead I'm gonna go with something I've not seen before, Dancer in the Dark.  It's by Lars von Trier, who usually makes very controversial and confrontational films like The Idiots and Antichrist, so I can't wait to see what he does with a musical.  It also stars Björk, so there's that.  

Can't wait to see what you had in mind @Squirrel, it can't be weirder than my pick 😛 

• Like 1

My chosen musical features the vocal talents of Stan Bush with his songs The Touch and Dare. 😉

Running joke aside, my actual pick for this months musical is Labyrinth featuring the epic musical writing of David Bowie. I actually watched it last weekend so it’s still fresh in my mind  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1