Thoughts for exhaust system

JustHatched

I gotta put some new headers on my S10,  one of the current headers on it were cracked when I got it, I welded it but now it is cracked around the weld so I am gonna put a new set on it to solve the problem. Debating on Hooker or Hedman headers, not sure if it really makes a difference on brand as far as those 2 go, both are reputable companies. As far as the style of header there isn't much option in S10 V8 headers. Does anyone know if say a Hooker fits better than Hedman usually or the other way around?

The real question though is mufflers, I currently have Flowmasters on it, I love the way it sounds most of the time, at about 45 to 50mph they resonate really bad though and I would like thoughts on a muffler that is loud (not quite straight pipe loud) that doesn't resonate. ATM I am leaning towards glass packs but I'm really not sure I want those either.

I do have one of these Gibson mufflers, but have never heard one in use to my knowledge so I don't wanna weld it in if it sounds to quiet or like shit

Tagging @zztop911 cuz I know he knows this shit, but anyone else comment if you know anything about exhausts 

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

My wagon has 2.5 inch pipes and Thrush Welded Mufflers that are dumped in front of the rear axle. Like you I have drone issues I want to solve it.

I bought a pair of turbo mufflers since they are much quieter. I recommend them unless you want everyone to know you are coming :)

Whatever you do, DO NOT put glasspacks on it. Those are ok on jacked up mud trucks and nothing else. Cannot stand those cracking and popping ass things.

Same with any "straight through" mufflers such as Magnaflow. They are nothing but expensive glass packs. I put them on my previous wagon that had headers. The cackle was obnoxious as hell.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sinister said:

My wagon has 2.5 inch pipes and Thrush Welded Mufflers that are dumped in front of the rear axle. Like you I have drone issues I want to solve it.

I bought a pair of turbo mufflers since they are much quieter. I recommend them unless you want everyone to know you are coming :)

Whatever you do, DO NOT put glasspacks on it. Those are ok on jacked up mud trucks and nothing else. Cannot stand those cracking and popping ass things.

Same with any "straight through" mufflers such as Magnaflow. They are nothing but expensive glass packs. I put them on my previous wagon that had headers. The cackle was obnoxious as hell.

I do want everyone to know I am coming, just not staight pipe know I am coming. Want to be heard 5 miles away but not 10 lol

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

Well Hatch, I don't really know the fitment of either one of the manufacturers on s10 swap. I would tend to go with Hooker, just from the quality aspect. As far as mufflers goes, I am definitely a MagnaFlow man. I don't know how much room you have, but I would use a minimum 2 and 1/2 inch. Use the magnaflows not the magna packs. They will flow quite nicely especially at higher RPMs. definitely make sure you have a crossover between the two sides. you don't need an x-pipe crossover since this is a low RPM engine..... In comparison to double overhead cam engines.

• Thanks 1

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

Oh yeah, I recommend Hooker for headers.

Also an x pipe will calm things down a lot. Mellows out a V8 Chevy nicely. The folks in the BBody community swear by them. Pypes (I think that is the way they spell it) makes a nice one. 

I'm a do it yourself type and Frankenstein my own systems together. Band clamps on all joints just like we use on the big diesel machines.

I'm stuck with manifolds for now. Only one person makes a long tube header for my car and they are about a grand once all is said and done. Stainless, coated, cats, etc.

There is a cheaper alternative but they don't clear the A/C lines and you risk breaking them when making them clear. Not going without A/C on a cruiser here in Florida.