XDBX Tennis Championship

Potato

Races and combat jobs are all we ever seem to do here, and after a while it gets boring (for me at least). So I was having a game of tennis (on GTA) with an old friend the other day and it inspired me to make a championship. Not your usual grand slam knockout format. I would run it as a group & knockout format. Obviously group sizes would depend on interest, with more interest meaning smaller groups.

One match per weekend. Matches are likely to be one set only unless people want longer games. I will post fixtures on here and it would then be up to the 2 players to organise when to play their match (no specific time, only requirement is that it is to be played on the weekend).

I have no idea whether this has been done before since I'm still relatively new to xdbx, but if this successful we could do the same with golf, darts and maybe even arm wrestling if you're willing to destroy your analogue sticks.

RULES:

• Matches will be one set

• Group matches will be drawn on Thursday mornings.

• Matches are to be played between 19:00 Friday - 7:00 Monday UTC.

• It is up to the two participants of a match to decide what time & day their fixture will be played and who will host.

• Matches can be played on any tennis court in LS.

• SCORING: You will be awarded 3 points for non-tiebreak victory; 2 points for a tiebreak victory; 1 point for a tiebreak loss and 0 points for a non-tiebreak loss.

• The winner of the match should send a screenshot of the results screen to me via psn (Random_Potato) asap after the match. Please take note of the score.

• If you know in advance that you will not be able to play on a specific weekend please let me know by the Wednesday evening (UTC) before that weekend [so that you can be given that weekend off / your match can be rescheduled]. Failure to do so will result in a forfeit and your opponent being awarded a 6-0 victory.

• In extraordinary circumstances where you cannot play your match and do not know it until the weekend, your match can (NOT will) be rescheduled mid-week subject to confirmation from your opponent. If your opponent cannot reschedule to a mid-week game, they will be awarded a victory. [Whether this is a 6-0 victory or a tiebreak victory will be decided by me depending on the circumstances, and how much effort you and your opponent put in, to try and reschedule the match.] **I understand that this could be abused, but since we're all adults, please be courteous towards your opponents and reschedule the match if you can.

• There will be 2 groups of 5 people. You will play each opponent in your group once. After all 4 group matches have been played, the winner of each group will get a bye to the semi final. 2nd place in group A will play 3rd place in group B and vice versa in a MID-WEEK quarter-final. The semi finals will be A1 v B2/A3 and B1 v A2/B3.

• There will be a 3rd place play-off on the same weekend as the final.

• If at the end of the group matches, two or more players are on the same points, position will be decided by the difference in games won to games lost. If the players still cannot be separated, head to head record will determine who finishes higher.

• In the unlikely event of a match not being played due to your opponent not responding to your messages regarding organising the match; if you provide evidence of your attempts to contact your opponent, you will be awarded 6-0 victory. If neither player contacts the other they will both be awarded a 6-0 loss.

• Results & Tables will be added to OP.

RESULTS:

Week 1:
Group A: | Con 0-6 Ally | Hatch 0-6 Lady A |
Group B: | Squirrel 0-6 DJ | Lime 6-1 Nybaal | Potato 2-6 Proto |

Week 2:
Group A: | Pete 4-6 Hatch | Lady A 6-2 Ally |
Group B: | Nybaal 6-4 DJ | Proto 6-F Squirrel | Lime 5-7 Potato |

Week 3:
Group A: | Ally 6-4 Hatch | Pete 6-7 Con |
Group B: | Nybaal 0-6 Potato | Proto 6-1 DJ | Squirrel 0-6 Lime |

Week 4:
Group A: | Lady A 6-0 Con | Pete 0-6 Ally |
Group B: | DJ 0-6 Potato | Squirrel v Nybaal | Lime 0-6 Proto |

Week 5:
Group A: | Hatch 3-6 Con | Lady A 6-0 Pete |
Group B: | Proto 6-0 Nybaal | Potato 6-0 Squirrel | Lime 6-4 DJ |

Quarter-finals:
QF 1: | Ally 6-3 Lime |
QF 2: | Potato 6-3 Con |

Semi-finals:
SF 1: | Lady A 6-4 Potato |
SF 2: | Proto 0-6 Ally |

3rd place play-off: | Potato 7-5 Proto |

Final: | Lady A v Ally |

Tables:

Group A:

Pos. Name P W L GW GL +/- Pts.
1 Lady A 4 4 0 24 2 +22 12
2 Ally 4 3 1 20 10 +10 9
3 Con 4 2 2 13 21 -8 5
4 Hatch 4 1 3 13 22 -9 3
5 Pete 4 0 4 10 25 -15 1

Group B:

Pos. Name P W L GW GL +/- Pts.
1 Proto 5 5 0 30 3 +27 15
2 Potato 5 4 1 27 11 +16 12
3 Lime 5 3 2 23 18 +5 9
4 DJ 5 1 4 15 24 -9 3
5 Nybaal 4 1 3 7 22 -15 3
6 Squirrel 4 0 4 0 24 -24 0
Edited by Potato
  • Like 5

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Potato

• Con

• Crawford1872

• The_Lady_A

17 minutes ago, Potato said:

I have no idea whether this has been done before since I'm still relatively new to xdbx, but if this successful we could do the same with golf, darts and maybe even arm wrestling if you're willing to destroy your analogue sticks.

A multi sport event would be cool including all of these!  Always glad to see something new.  I have probably spent 10 mins playing tennis in GTA but I would enter and let someone slaughter me

• Like 1

tenor.gif?itemid=5199497

I've had plans for a golf tournament that can work with people across multiple time zones which has always been the hard part of these events. I'll be battling DJ for worst player title though 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, pete_95973 said:

A multi sport event would be cool including all of these!

So what do people think? There's 3 options...

1) Run them as separate events entirely.

2) Run them simultaneously as one multi sport event like Pete suggested.

3) Run them simultaneously but as different events.

31 minutes ago, Potato said:

I vote for this. I think it would be a good way to test interest and maybe even generate excitement for a future Multi-sport Event. But whatever you choose, I'm still in.

• Like 1

Depending on timing I might be able to do this, consider me 50/50 at this point 

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

:default_sign0081:

3 hours ago, Con said:

So you in or are you in? lol

Depends on what happens with something I am trying to do with XDBX... I play on pc now.

• Like 1

Just giving this a bump:

So far we have myself, @Crawford1872, @djw180, @pete_95973, @Squirrel, @Con, @LimeGreenLegend, @truelife98 and @PapOiteE as confirmed, and @Hatch as a maybe.

If we end up with 10 it will be run as 2 groups of 5 with 1 round of fixtures. 2nd and 3rd in the group will have a mid-week play off, whoever wins will play the winner of the other group in the semis. So it will last 6 weeks.

On 08/09/2017 at 8:20 PM, Potato said:

So what do people think? There's 3 options...

2) Run them simultaneously as one multi sport event like Pete suggested.

3) Run them simultaneously but as different events.

...Any more votes for this?

• Like 1

Potato I am still interested in this but if it starts before October I might actually have to sit this one out.  I wasn't thinking about it when I mentioned my interest but I am moving soon and my next few weekends are very hectic.   And during the week I can usually only play an hour here or there and it is usually late NA time.  So if this launches in October I will say yes I am in.  If it starts before that I will sit out and join the next one :)

Edited by pete_95973
  • Like 1

tenor.gif?itemid=5199497

21 minutes ago, pete_95973 said:

Potato I am still interested in this but if it starts before October I might actually have to sit this one out.  I wasn't thinking about it when I mentioned my interest but I am moving soon and my next few weekends are very hectic.   And during the week I can usually only play an hour here or there and it is usually late NA time.  So if this launches in October I will say yes I am in.  If it starts before that I will sit out and join the next one :)

I'd work around your schedule so you can participate. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Con said:

I'd work around your schedule so you can participate. 

I wouldnt, fuck him. He can take a forfeit. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Ok one thing that I had previously thought about, which I completely forgot on Monday night.... we're running groups of 5, so everyone will get a different week off, therefore it will last 7 weeks.

We're going with the original plan of option 1 since barely anyone voted.

@pete_95973 If we started it next weekend (23rd & 24th) I could put you down for the first week off therefore your first game would be 30th Sept/1st Oct. Would that work for you?

Edited by Potato

@Potato, when you get all the details done let me know so we can get this on the calendar 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Potato said:

Ok one thing that I had previously thought about, which I completely forgot on Monday night.... we're running groups of 5, so everyone will get a different week off, therefore it will last 7 weeks.

We're going with the original plan of option 1 since barely anyone voted.

@pete_95973 If we started it next weekend (23rd & 24th) I could put you down for the first week off therefore your first game would be 30th Sept/1st Oct. Would that work for you?

September 30th is my actual moving day where I have to be out of my apartment. That first few days will be hectic I am sure.  So I have to say no.  Sorry.  Probably anytime after Oct 3rd or so and things should be back to normal for me.  But please don't let me hold it up.  If you have enough to do it then do it without me.

tenor.gif?itemid=5199497