Project CARS 2

DavidCore89

5 minutes ago, zmurko said:

Saw a video from Longbeach track. Is it the only street circuit in the game? (too lazy to search for track list myself)

Asking, because the experience looked similar to GTA racing and its city tracks (with stunt props).

Think so, there's the Azure Coast too.

I haven't ran the track yet.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of tracks surrounded by barriers, it tends to make people drive like idiots and bounce off the walls.

Waiting for comments from pad users before buying it. 

@Crawford1872 and @no_snacks : waiting for feedback. 

I'm definitely getting this, question is when :D

Also will I buy the season pass ? Saw the announced packs yesterday and they look very yummy but I hate DLCs so probably gonna wait on more info. 

14 hours ago, Fido_le_muet said:

Waiting for comments from pad users before buying it. 

@Crawford1872 and @no_snacks : waiting for feedback. 

Ah....this game takes me back 10 years when I used to play TOCA Race Driver 3 (V8 Supercars edition).  Unfortunately, it doesn't feel like much has changed. :(

The graphics are very, very ps3 looking at best.  Don't know what the developer is doing with their trailers, but the game definitely doesn't look that good (on PS4 anyway).  Most of the curbs look like they're simply "painted" on, and the game just sends a slight rumble through the controller to make you think they're actually raised and textured.  Only special (secondary) curbs seem to be raised properly and have an impact on the handling.  Most of the pitwalls, garages, stadiums and other trackside structures don't look much better than TOCA tbh.  Definitely takes away from any emersion the game might've had for me.  The background scenery looks lifeless and unrealistic.  Oh, and since when are gumtrees brown?  I've lived here for 45+ years and have never seen a brown one unless it was dead. :huh:

The AI cars seem to be ok in the main.  You can dial in their aggression and level of skill, so maybe I've just found the right level that works for me (70% skill and 50% aggression).  It's definitely better than TOCA, but no where near what I was expecting from a current gen game.  It's still way too easy to dive up the inside at turn one and unrealistically steal several places in one foul swoop.  The wheel to wheel racing seems to work ok.  Haven't had any AI cars recklessly barge me off track or run up my arse at a hairpin for example.  However, if you're following one, you still need to back off more than you'd like on the approach to a slow corner, as they tend to slow down too much if there's another car in front of them.

One other issue is the inconsistencies for each track.  This was another problem that TOCA used to have (PS2 don't forget).  Using the same car throughout a championship, on some tracks I can qualify 3 or 4 seconds quicker than 2nd place, but on other tracks I'm struggling to be within 3 seconds of last place, even with heaps of practice laps and setup changes.  Unless you want to spend hours (literally) tinkering with all the settings, then it can become a frustrating and futile exercise.

If you're using a controller, you can forget about racing competitively with the assists turned off.  I generally only have TC turned on low, but sometimes need to turn stability control on as well, as some cars are almost impossible to control without it.  Once again, you can fiddle with as many setting as you like (if you've got the patience) but the controller simply doesn't have the input range you need to drive properly.   Even a cheap wheel would be worth investing in if you want to play seriously without any assists.  You might not get the greatest amount of feedback through a cheap wheel, but at least you can be a helluva lot more subtle with your turning, braking and throttle inputs compared to a controller.  Not necessarily the games fault - that's just how it is.

Haven't played any online races yet.  It will certainly be fun racing against your friends on some proper tracks though.  I'm just gonna slowly make my way through the career mode first.  There are definitely lots of nice cars to choose from and some pretty cool tracks.  You can pretty much try any car and track combination straight out of the box - there's no need to unlock all the cool cars and tracks, but I don't recommend using the Aussie V8 Supercar on Bathurst as your first choice - maybe work your way up to that combination.  :lol:

• Like 2

Feedback from grass, kerbs and stuff is being talked about on their forum.

There's a patch coming too, it didn't make the cut in time before release. PC already has it. It'll contain default loose and stable setups for each car.

Tuning and setups is a must, especially online.

None of the career stuff bothers me since I only play online, but I know plenty of people were looking forward to career mode. Sounds like it has been improved, if only by a little bit

Think trees are different colours based on seasons, I know nothing about trees, so I never question that.

Can't really see much beyond the track from my POV as I use cockpit.

AI have always been faster at some tracks, or in certain cars. Skipping to end of quali or practice will create another long-time issue where some cars set completely unrealistic lap times. It's in many sims

All assists turned off sounds good and is very macho, but it's just not gonna work. Some cars need and have assists IRL, so I keep mine set to authentic so I can use real-life assists, the way the car is meant to be driven.

I raced the V8SC last night at Bathurst, was awesome too. Choked on the last lap at the downhill section and threw away the win :mellow: Going back there in time trial later, my car felt nice.

If you use their forums, you can keep upto date with known issues, fixes, tips, setups and general feedback from the community

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 2

I've yet to play online, so don't have anything to say about that for now, but when it comes to solo practice and career modes, there's a lot of bugs that need sorting out.

PC2 has everything it needs to have to be quite possibly the best sim-racing game out there, but it's currently not, because it's littered with frustrating bugs. It feels like I bought myself a full-price game demo, because that's pretty much what it is at this point. I absolutely love the game when everything works properly, but too rarely does everything work as it should. From what I've experienced myself and read from various forums, there are A LOT of minor, but highly frustrating bugs in the game, that just take most of the enjoyment out of any given situation. There's also several reports of returning bugs from the first Project CARS game, which is not good news at all. Main areas of the game that are affected are the AI (very inconsistent and often drive like someone's granny), the HUD (can randomly disappear and never come back), pit stops and pit crews (invisible crews and glitched out signs), car setups (don't save properly/need saving after every minor adjustment/switch to a glitched default setup) and the career mode in general (broken races, which can make the mode almost unplayable or at the very least frustrating, not enjoyable). There are also various issues with certain tracks and cars. At this point you're almost certainly going to encounter a bug in the game every few minutes, no matter what you're doing, but especially if you're going to be playing around with the car setups, which you will be doing a lot of.

I haven't noticed much wrong with the surroundings, but the graphics do seem lower than what I was expecting. Still, I wouldn't say it's PS3 level, but for the PS4, it's visibly nowhere near what it could be.

When it comes to playing with the controller, I don't think it's that bad. Sure, it needs a lot, and I mean A LOT of tweaking the settings to find the most suitable combo suited for you, but once you find it and get used to it all, it can be very smooth and rewarding. I'm also using the cockpit/helmet view and authentic driving assists and so far I'm happy with those settings.

All in all, I feel like this is a paid Beta of PC2. It'll be a full game only when SMS fix these issues and I hope that happens very, very soon. IMO this game was certainly released too early... as is regularly done these days. When the bugs and glitches have been fixed, it'll be worth the money I put in it, but for now, if you already had doubts about buying it right away, I'd recommend waiting until it's "out of Beta" and fixed. Otherwise, you should be ready to spend a lot of your playing time trying to find a way around these issues, instead of being able to enjoy the game. Once it gets fixed, it'll be the best racing sim out there, though.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I've put in over 12 hours of gameplay, mostly online and some TT's. Sure there are a lot of bugs to fix, but they don't appear every few minutes, that seems like an exaggeration.

There are many things to fix that's for sure. I haven't experienced the amount of bugs that others have and I don't base my opinion on things that don't affect me, but the bugs that have been affecting me are a pain in the ass and they've all been online.

Some stuff has been patched already on PC, but the patch didn't make it to console in time for launch. Hopefully a lot of the issues get fixed with this patch and the devs can work on whatever is remaining. 

Why would you not have to save your setup after every minor adjustment? It goes without saying that you do. Setups have been OK for me, although online it freezes the console for a few seconds while loading/saving, and I did fuck up by not saving one to the specific track, but then I went into saved data management and deleted all setups in there.

As far as visuals, does anyone really expect a game in a trailer to look the same on standard PS4? Of course it won't. I don't think there is a great looking sim out there with driving physics to match, take a look at the current competition. Visuals are not a top priority for me, I'm more interested in how the cars make me feel and the competitive experience online, both could be improved. The laser scanned tracks do look much better and provide a better feel through the wheel, but it's never gonna rival Driveclub in terms of visuals, and on the other hand Driveclub would never rival this in driving physics. The best looking racing games tend to be arcade, can't have the best of both worlds I guess.

Surprising how many people genuinely thought the game would be bug-free, it's a crowd-funded developer, they don't have the resources of EA, and even their games release with bugs, albeit not as many.

I'm sure they'll fix it, but there's a lot to fix :D

As Proto said, I'd hold off on buying it until it gets patched twice (once if you're inpatient). And don't bother buying it for career mode, get something else, this games main focus is online.

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, DavidCore89 said:

Why would you not have to save your setup after every minor adjustment? It goes without saying that you do.

Because not every minor adjustment always improves my setup. I don't want to overwrite my otherwise working setup after every minor adjustment, only want to save it if it actually is an adjustment that helps. Maybe it's just me, I don't know.

In career at least, I have encountered bugs frequently, though. It is pretty much at least once every 5mins or so.

18 minutes ago, Protocawl said:

Because not every minor adjustment always improves my setup. I don't want to overwrite my otherwise working setup after every minor adjustment, only want to save it if it actually is an adjustment that helps. Maybe it's just me, I don't know.

In career at least, I have encountered bugs frequently, though. It is pretty much at least once every 5mins or so.

When you're just testing stuff out, create a second setup at the same location (new slot) and call it test, high/low downforce, or whatever

That's what I've been doing when I didn't wanna overwrite something decent. I've overwritten decent setups already, but now I make a new slot every time.

On the last game, we could only have 1 slot per car at each location, so you had no choice to overwrite it and try keeping the changes in your head, total nightmare, my overnight memory sucks :lol:

Edited by DavidCore89
  • Like 3

Thanks for the feedback guys. Gonna hold off for a couple patches before buying it. 

Will also see how GTSport is received in the meantime because I'm a GT fan boy and can't at least see how this new one is gonna be before buying another game :D:D

23 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

Thanks for the feedback guys. Gonna hold off for a couple patches before buying it. 

Will also see how GTSport is received in the meantime because I'm a GT fan boy and can't at least see how this new one is gonna be before buying another game :D:D

I'll be getting that as well.

Chances are, it'll have less bugs at launch.

pCARS2 tries to do a lot of things, possibly too many. We'll see.

Still haven't played any online races yet, but I'm looking forward to them.  Just progressing through career mode until I've tried out most of the classes and invitational events etc.

The more I play career mode though, the more bugs, glitches and fundamental flaws I encounter.  Of course most games are going to have minor bugs and annoying graphical glitches etc.  It's almost impossible to have several hundred thousand lines of detailed code and expect none of them to conflict every now and then.  Also, most bugs and glitches can be tolerated and worked around to a certain extent, even ignored completely if you choose what you choose to acknowledge - but when something stops the game from being played as intended, then it's clearly a fundamental flaw, not just an annoying bug that can be ignored.  Those things should not be in a video game (any product for that matter) that you've paid top dollar for.

The game definitely should not have been released in its current state.   If SM Studios want to charge AAA prices for their games, then they should be delivering a AAA quality game straight out of the box- not something that's going to need several patches to get it working properly.  It doesn't matter whether they're crowd funded or backed by any other means.  Their product is currently sub-par for a AAA game - in fact it borders on embarrassing.  The bugs, glitches and game breaking fundamental flaws are far worse than any other racing game I've ever played - that's not an exaggerated opinion, it's just a plain fact.

I really, really enjoy this game when it's working properly, and it does work properly sometimes.  I agree with Proto - it could be one of the best SIM racers on console considering the huge amount of cars, tracks and features it contains.  At the moment though, it's probably one of the worst, simply because the number of bugs, glitches and flaws almost outweighs the cars, tracks and features.  It feels like SMS has bitten off more than it can chew.  It'll be interesting to see how well and how soon they can deal with all the issues their game is currently riddled with.

Definitely hold off purchasing this game until most of the major issues have been patched.  When that happens, it'll definitely be worth getting - hopefully that wont be too long. 

I heard that the console version was not beta tested by WMD or SMS, instead it was outsourced to so-called professional testers, and they've done a shit job of beta testing.

I'm sure SMS will get to work with fixes, but we have to allow time, game has been out less than a week.

Not expeienced any of the career bugs as I haven't played it, but I've heard about the issues and it sounds quite grim to be honest.

When you eventually go online, pay attention to the safety (letter) and skill (number) ratings. As soon as you get past U safety, do not enter any more U rated races. Always finish the race and avoid rage quitting if or when involved in a crash as you'll lose many skill points and it'll be tough to get them back. Also avoid lobbies with ratings off, people will be driving like dicks.

I've been racing in E and F lobbies last night, racing is quite clean, obviously there are incidents, but people aren't driving as they would in CARS1 or as they would in U lobbies.

• Like 1

I've mostly browsed the PS4 section on the PCars 2 forum, so I'm not really across any major differences in the platforms, but judging by some of the responses in the threads, it does seem like the PS4 is affected more than other consoles and PC.  Even the PS4 Pro seems to have a lot less issues than the standard PS4 for example.  

Apparently the graphics are no where near as bad on the Pro.  With clear weather and daylight settings, the jaggies are so bad they literally give you one of those painful headaches behind the eye if you look at them for too long. :lol:

Regarding online.  Have you lost any points after being crashed into?  Have read a few complaints about people getting hit from behind and knocked into other players, then being docked points for causing the secondary crash.  Also heard you lose points if the host quits or disconnects.  Things probably even out in the end, but I'm just glad they have a system in place to keep the idiots out of serious lobbies - it's sort of like the bad sport system on GTA I suppose.

Will probably race with friends and crew when I first venture online, just to get a feel for things.

As harsh as I may sound about the game, I really am enjoying it (even though it's trying really hard to make me hate it) and will certainly like it more when some of the major issues are fixed.  I just find it hard to believe some of those issues could actually make it through to release.  Either they weren't noticed (which I doubt), or they were noticed and couldn't be sorted in time, or maybe they were simply ignored.  That's probably the bit that's the most frustrating - not the actual bugs themselves.  

Yeah many times. Both cars are given a penalty most of the time when hit from behind, since the game cannot differentiate between which driver was at fault (brake check or using the car ahead for brakes). In the instance of collisions, you might be downgraded on safety rating, but not skill points. Skill points is based on how you perform against other drivers (taking into account how many races you finish too).

Collisions are more of an issue in lower rated safety lobbies.

It'll take a few weeks for the ratings to even out, but then dirty drivers and rage quitters should be racing together, providing hosts use the ratings as intended.

Getting disconnected when the host leaves is a PC issue as far as I can tell. Host seems to change on PS4.

Yeah, some of the bugs are right there in front of you, no need to look for them, very surprised how they weren't picked up, but on the other hand it wasn't tested on console properly...

If ever you're up for a few laps, give me a shout, I'll race whatever.

If you ever get into online and decide to go to the next step, the community I race with has a very solid group of 20+ Aussies and they run leagues.

Edited by DavidCore89

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, PapOiteE said:

Did they fix anything?

Majority of major issues were fixed, it's definitely playable online, still haven't touched career.

One good thing about SMS is they're quite fast with the fixes.

3 hours ago, PapOiteE said:

Did they fix anything?

The last patch fixed a couple of the major problems and several of the smaller ones.  Patch notes were very vague though. (fixed this, improved that etc).

New patch is coming out soon (this week hopefully).  Apparently it will patch 150+ different issues, and detailed patch notes will be provided this time too.

Game is still riddled with bugs atm (both online and off).  Regular players use various workarounds to avoid being affected by some of the main bugs, but there are still lots of little ones that can annoy you at best, or break the game at worst.  God knows how many times I've had to shut down the program or simply turn the PS4 off in disgust :lol:,  but underneath all of the bugs and issues, the game is awesome though.

More tracks and cars are coming in 4 separate DLC's, like a vintage LeMans track (no chicanes) with classic cars from that period.  Also a Ferrari pack with more Ferrari cars (obviously), and 2 new Ferrari "related" tracks - could be something like Fiorano and Mugello for example.

If this latest patch does indeed fix the main issues and lots of the smaller ones, I'd then recommend it to anyone who's interested in getting it.  Until then though, still best to wait for more info before shelling out for it.  Things look promising though. :)  

• Like 1

Nice, I haven't really kept upto speed on what's upcoming, but some of theguys I race with who may or may not be WMD say that a Porsche DLC will be first. I guess I don't see a lot of the issues as I only do free practice, online practice, time trial and leagues. Disconnection seems to be the one I see more frequently.

Snacks, have you used any of the external UDP apps? They're pretty cool and offer a lot of detail that the game doesn't show.

Edited by DavidCore89

From what I can gather, the Porsche pack will be 2nd on the list.

1. Day 1 expansion - (already out) - plus the Japanese pack if you preordered
  2. Fun pack - Offroad, Rally X etc
  3. Porsche pack
  4. Classic Le Mans pack
  5. Ferrari pack

vpcmUt0.png

Haven't used any external apps yet.  Will probably get a G29 wheel for Xmas.  It might not have the latest tech etc, but it comes complete in the box for a reasonable price.  No need to upgrade pedals and rims like some of the Thrustmaster sets.  It should also have (just) enough buttons so I don't need to use a button box either.  I'm only in need of 1 or 2 more buttons using the controller, so with gas, brake, gear up and gear down on the pedals and shifter paddles, I should have plenty.  Some of the button boxes look pretty cool though - may eventually get one just for the hell of it. :)

Once I get that set up, I'll have a look at some of the UDP apps for my iPhone.  I rarely use it as a phone anyway.  Maybe 1 or 2 calls/texts per month at best.   Being a carpenter by trade, I should be able to create a nice (but simple) little rig to hold it all.  Will create a little holder for the iPhone for extra telemetry etc.  I shouldn't need anything else.  Anything beats using the controller, so my expectations aren't that high at the moment. :lol:

Edited by no_snacks
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1