What did you do today?

JustHatched

Nice one @Lann  . Congratulations!

QXcF660.jpg

after cleaning out a load of crap from the garage I found this in there! 
It fired up (eventually) for the 1st time in 6 months. 

Edited by BryannosaurusRex
  • Like 3

On 3/26/2022 at 8:28 PM, Lann said:

So today I had another go at this. Got my first win and a bronze medal. Proud, happy and tired (i am sure age has nothing to do with that).

Pic or didnt happen..

Hide contents

Hidzhae.jpg

Nice one, Lann!

You look thrilled with the win :classic_biggrin:

Best of luck in the next bouts.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So since this aint a place to paint a fake pic of ones perfect irl..

The Mrs had a surprise planned 😕 and I missed friday night practice. 😩 Turns out we are going out to eat. 🙂 Mexican food. 😀 Then we are going to a concert ☹️, rather far from the city 😖, and apparently only tickets left were standing in front of the stage 😠 no sitting down. I decide to drive, not a fan of drinking in public, and even less being dependent on taxi/buss. The food is great 😀, drunk strangers at a concert is like stepping in dogsh*t 😤 Home 22:30 with a happy wife. 🙂

Am I a ungreatful pr*ck, or is it ok to not enjoying things like this?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I got my blue belt in bjj.

5CprQf4.jpg

No big change, a few tricks i am now allowed to do, like jumping into a triangle-choke. Looks neat, wish my body was 30yrs younger. Obviously not me showing of that move:

Spoiler

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I had the day off today. As you may or may not know I don’t enjoy my job (who does?!?!) and over the last few years I’ve been looking at a career change, but without really knowing what to do. 

During the start of the pandemic when we went into full lockdown I made use of my free time and made a dining table ( I think I posted pics of it on here). Doing that re-sparked the enjoyment I had back at school in woodwork classes. I’ve done various little projects over the years and felt that now it’s something I should pursue. 

So, decision made. I’m going to become a carpenter! I should have done this 25 years ago; I went to university because it was what everyone did and my parents wanted me to go. I was never an academic, Uni was great! Cheap beer, weed, girls! But I just scraped through my course by doing the bare minimum. Fell into the asbestos industry after uni with not knowing what to do. 

Back to now - there’s been a few things at work over the last 18 months or so that I haven’t been happy with. Well a few weeks ago a chap I used to work with phoned me seeing if I wanted  a job at his place. After getting some more details, it was a good deal - same work, more money and a few extra perks. 

Then the following week my other half saw on Facebook a local carpenter was looking for someone with either none, some or all the experience. So, I sent him a message with pics of the various projects I’d done over the years. He replied and we agreed for me to go to his workshop for a chat. At the same time I accepted the offer from my old colleague. I went on holiday then when I came back handed my notice in at work (that didn’t go down well)  I then met carpenter chappy and had a good chat and agreed that the best thing to do was come down the workshop for a day and see how I get on. Well, today was the day. It went well, I’m keen to take the step and he seems willing to take me on. It would be a fair drop in pay from what I’m earning now and definitely from what I can be earning in the other job offer. Not great timing in the current economic climate, but I need to be happy, need to doing something that I want to get out of bed for rather than staying in bed for as long as possible and feeling down on my drive to site each day. 

So I’ve got some decisions to make over the next few days!

• Like 10

19 hours ago, BryannosaurusRex said:

I had the day off today. As you may or may not know I don’t enjoy my job (who does?!?!) and over the last few years I’ve been looking at a career change, but without really knowing what to do. 

During the start of the pandemic when we went into full lockdown I made use of my free time and made a dining table ( I think I posted pics of it on here). Doing that re-sparked the enjoyment I had back at school in woodwork classes. I’ve done various little projects over the years and felt that now it’s something I should pursue. 

So, decision made. I’m going to become a carpenter! I should have done this 25 years ago; I went to university because it was what everyone did and my parents wanted me to go. I was never an academic, Uni was great! Cheap beer, weed, girls! But I just scraped through my course by doing the bare minimum. Fell into the asbestos industry after uni with not knowing what to do. 

Back to now - there’s been a few things at work over the last 18 months or so that I haven’t been happy with. Well a few weeks ago a chap I used to work with phoned me seeing if I wanted  a job at his place. After getting some more details, it was a good deal - same work, more money and a few extra perks. 

Then the following week my other half saw on Facebook a local carpenter was looking for someone with either none, some or all the experience. So, I sent him a message with pics of the various projects I’d done over the years. He replied and we agreed for me to go to his workshop for a chat. At the same time I accepted the offer from my old colleague. I went on holiday then when I came back handed my notice in at work (that didn’t go down well)  I then met carpenter chappy and had a good chat and agreed that the best thing to do was come down the workshop for a day and see how I get on. Well, today was the day. It went well, I’m keen to take the step and he seems willing to take me on. It would be a fair drop in pay from what I’m earning now and definitely from what I can be earning in the other job offer. Not great timing in the current economic climate, but I need to be happy, need to doing something that I want to get out of bed for rather than staying in bed for as long as possible and feeling down on my drive to site each day. 

Congrats Bry!  Money isn't everything.  And while most people don't want to work (who can blame them) and don't like their job it is possible to like your job, and very possible to at least not hate it.  That has as much if not more value than money.

tenor.gif?itemid=5199497

20 hours ago, BryannosaurusRex said:

Go with your gut feeling, enjoying what you do is far more important than your bank, as long as you can pay your bills. It sounds like a sweet deal.

@BryannosaurusRexGood for you mate ! Takes gut to switch jobs like that but sometimes it's the best decision to make. Money isn't every thing as Pete and Lann said. 

I too am not happy with my current job but I can easily change jobs every 2 to 4 years (public sector) so I'm gonna wait it out. I don't hate it but it's not easy to find the motivation every morning to go to an uninteresting work. 

Thanks for the replies. I’m going to go for it. The wage drop is my main concern as everything is so expensive at the moment! Over the next few years though if I get things right I can be earning a decent wage again. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Today I ran (& walked) the London Marathon with my other half. First time I’ve ran a marathon, I’ve always wanted to do one and had entered the draw for London many times over the years but never got a place. 
it was tough but enjoyable. Didn’t do nearly enough training - got injured and missed about 5 weeks. My legs are very sore now! 

https://imgur.com/a/dzWNwjm

• Like 5

11 hours ago, BryannosaurusRex said:

Today I ran (& walked) the London Marathon with my other half. First time I’ve ran a marathon, I’ve always wanted to do one and had entered the draw for London many times over the years but never got a place. 
it was tough but enjoyable. Didn’t do nearly enough training - got injured and missed about 5 weeks. My legs are very sore now! 

https://imgur.com/a/dzWNwjm

Nice @BryannosaurusRex!

• 2 months later...

I was in Dublin for the weekend with my  daughters 15 and 17 years old. We went for the open European kids championship in BJJ (Jiu Jitsu).

My daughter at 15 was to compete in the highest belt, and last year in the kids division. Her older sister came along to coach her. Her opponents came from Spain, France, Israel, Brazil (2) and Ireland.

We arrived at the stadium early enough to be thinking we were in the wrong place. But soon we got some company from Portugal and California. Once the Sport Ireland National Indoor Arena opened up it turned out to be really nice. The organisation and staff did a great jobb, very professional. Parents and coaches all seemed to act friendly and supportive, and not only about their own athletes.

The brackets were simple elimination, if you lose your out. The first match was againts a girl from Israel. It was a tight battle between two very strong and technical fighters. No submission, no points or even advantages, so it came down to the referee to decide. She won, and even if i might be biased I agree, she was attacing more and controlled her opponent. The second match was the semifinal. Having that first match done, she feelt a bit releived knowing her game was on this international level. The next opponent was one that she had seen on social media, a very good athlete from Brazil. This match is the toughest match I seen her go. With a minute left the score is 0-0, but the opponent has a advantade that would give her the win. She manage to sweep from half-guard (2 points), and played the last 30 second very smart. She wins with 2-0, and being right next to them I could see there are alot of emotions on the mat.

The final is against a girl from Ireland. My daughter shoots a early triangle, not clean enough to choke her, but strong enough to keep the looked down. Working to get the arm out she finally find that armbar and get the submission and the gold.

I am happy we got to do this, the experience and the burgers have been amazing, the weather not so much. ❤️

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I asked my pocket AI app bot its first question today:

What does it sound like in the Himalayans?
This is what it replied:

As an AI language model, I cannot access real-time information on sounds in the Himalayas. However, based on general knowledge, the sounds in the Himalayan region would vary depending on the specific location and time of day. In some areas, you may hear the sound of prayer flags flapping in the wind or the sound of monks chanting in monasteries. In other areas, you may hear the sounds of birds and other wildlife or the rushing of waterfalls and streams. At night, you may hear the howling of wolves or the chirping of crickets.

(Holy man, it’s like having a really smart friend)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1