What did you do today?

JustHatched

On 10/16/2020 at 9:04 PM, Lann said:

I just got back from the ER. Tonights submission grappling practice ended when one of the guys shinbone broke off. The ambulance could not come right away so we put him in my minivan. Not often I seen a grown man in such pain. I took some soft yet fast racing lines to the ER. It did feel good that one of the guys is a cop with some medical training, he keept him fairly calm. Unexpected.

Back to the ER at tonights practice, this time just stitches on an eyebrow. Unbeleivable, still here (but not my eyebrow). I better not miss tonights racing with  @SkyeDave

• Like 1

Tried to get a m*ffler and an exhaust pipe for my wife’s 306, but will have to order it online, because nothing is available for reasonable prices.... 

Putting up a bunch of radiators and got inspired to post a few tips and tricks.

Don't want to scratch that new door stopper? Use a radiator to protect it from the door.

9ub2ku6.jpg

To save money on the electrical bill, place the power outlet halfway behind the radiator.

pyW7R05.jpg

Kitchen islands are so last year. Instead gather the family around the kitchen support beam. And don't worry about limited storage space. Just imagine all the pots and pans you can hang on it.

QbiRuz0.jpg

Edited by Banketelli
  • Like 1
  • Haha 10

33 minutes ago, Con said:

I played with this knife someone brought in to work. It would make Michael Myers proud. That is one solid knife. 

AS3paeF.jpg?1

Eh.. people bring knives (like this) to work!?

Don't want to think about what they bring to their mother in law...

57 minutes ago, Con said:

I found out just how dangerous it is what I have been doing for weeks now and how today I learned how foolish I have been. Pics to come. 

This sounds interesting... 😅

• Haha 1

Okay here is the cautionary tale and valuable lesson I learned today. 

I work in a pretty immense brick building that takes up half a block. The building is split in two by a hallway and up until last year the other side was occupied by a fancy furniture company. But they closed their doors and I guess the landlord had begun remodeling that space and then I guess the work was halted before Covid. I walk by the doors to that side all the time on my way to the restroom but never had tried any of the doors as I figured they were locked, especially if the place was left hollowed out. 

So about three weeks ago, it was raining hard and I didn't want to walk around the block so I thought to myself, "it would be cool to cut across", so I tried one of the doors and to my surprise it was unlocked and I walked in...

hrFfWCn.jpg?1

Right from the start I could see the place wasn't safe as there were holes on the ground and wires hanging down and I began to explore the space and since then I have been using it as a shortcut to the other side of the block. It's a great shortcut but it is creepy and I enjoy feeling creeped out from time to time. 

Spoiler

The brightness in these rooms doesn't come from the construction lights but from the massive skylights. 

NVHcm7A.jpg?1

KjQtn7z.jpg?1

As you can see, it is spacious and doesn't feel too dangerous but one can certainly get hurt walking around while holding a phone to take pictures or video. Both of which I have done on several occasions. The big rooms are well lit but then there are a few areas where the creepy factor increases. 

lGkeJjX.jpg?1

Then you get to this room below... and I remember that from day one, this room always has called me. What I mean is, anytime I use this shortcut, I ALWAYS have to poke my head into the darkness if only for a few seconds, I always think I will catch a shadow move in the darkness and see a shadow person and I just like letting my imagination go wild in the dark. As you can see from the pics above, most of the rooms are empty and you can see anything on the ground that could cause you to trip and fall:

grSuxGo.jpg?2

Here is a pic I took about a week or so ago from the open doorway and while the camera exposes light in the room some, my eyes do not and it is pitch black in there, except for that light you see above and under that door. That light has never illuminated the room enough for me to see whats inside, I have entered the room on many occasions and had always wanted to walk towards that door and see where it leads as I assume it is unlocked. I don't know why I have never done it and honestly, my inability to see in the room has prevented me from walking around in there in the dark and I never considered using my phone light to explore it cause I appreciate that it stays so dark despite all the natural light surrounding the room and the hallway light that comes in through that white door:

i2HdEJo.jpg?2

Today once again I felt compelled to enter that room and so I did. It was darker than usual as the sky is was rainy out. But while I had no intention of walking towards the white door today, I did walk a bit further and stopped when I spotted for the first time ever, this hole in the wall. I took out my phone and took some photos but since I never use a flash when I take pics in that dark room, the photos weren't great and I decided to turn on the flash and took this shot:

40Pe7sm.jpg?1

What I noticed when the flash went off scared me more than if i had seen a ghost or shadow person and I immediately took a step back. I turned my phone flashlight on to confirm what I thought I had seen out of the corner of my eye and yes, it could have been worse than a ghost...you see there is no floor in half the room!!!! In fact two more steps forward or had that hole in the wall i was trying to photograph been further down the wall, I would have without a question of a doubt taken an absurd and very dangerous fall. While the fall is only about 5-6 feet, it would have come as a surprise and who knows how far I would have fallen forward, might have done a forward flip and my face wouldn't have seen the floor coming. I mean, I stood there almost frozen as I lit the room up and saw just how f*cking fortunate I had been not to have gotten hurt in the past three weeks. I was really shaken by how my own silly actions could have cost me paralysis or death. 

Now could I have sued the landlord for making sure the doors to the remodeling were not locked, probably, but what would money do for me if I couldn't move from the neck down? Money isn't everything in Con World. 

Anyhow, I learned today that when exploring dark rooms and no matter how enticing it is to enter them and sense the unknown, always light them up so you can see the full picture before you kill yourself. 

I can imagine the moment of terror in my brain had I fallen in the dark, the many ways I could have hurt myself on that fall astounds me. Falling in the dark in a creepy room, having no idea what was happening or how far I would be falling will always be frightening. I'm not a stupid man but have to admit that I assumed the floor was intact in that room and tripping over something was the only peril, unbeknownst to me, i just hadn't walked in far enough. 

Here is the video I went back and took for you all to see because there is a 100% chance I would have fallen there at some point.  I had been in that room many times and never had my eyes adjusted to see the floor missing. It was shocking.

I apologize to any of you who thought this was a ghost sighting...but if i had fallen and broke my neck and died, it would have become a ghost story so I guess there's that.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk. 

Edited by Con
  • Like 6

You would have hurt yourself badly for sure. Could have hit your face on that metal bar across the hole. 

Scary indeed. 

Mind your surroundings people! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fido_le_muet said:

You would have hurt yourself badly for sure. Could have hit your face on that metal bar across the hole. 

Scary indeed. 

Mind your surroundings people! 

Literally just walked by the room as I came in that way. lol. That room got scarier. 
Yes, think of the many ways I truly could have fallen. I mean, imagine had I went right at the door and came to that area where there is floor but then heading anywhere near that door would have been a big mistake. 
Chances are I wouldn’t have had my phone out if I would have walked to the door but I still would have fallen in the dark and a 2 foot fall might have caused me to land on my feet but that was a little higher than two feet and I would have been fallen forward at a good speed cause I walk fast af.  It was scary and why I had to share it. 
I want to tell the building manager about how dangerous that room can be to anyone that stumbles onto that side of the building, but then I don’t want him to lock the doors and eliminate my shortcut. Winter is coming. lol. 
maybe I’ll graffiti the word DANGER outside the room. 

Edited by Con

Great idea about putting some kind of sign. Better safe than sorry and you could be a hero for saving someone's life ! DO IT ! 

On a personal note, my wife is a contact case for Covid so we're awaiting her test results...

• Like 1

@Con Your indeed lucky you saw that big hole, could've ended differently. This reminds me somehow of the time when I was a kid and was exploring an old pier when it was dark outside. I was playing there with my brother when out of a sudden I slipt with one leg trough a hole. Luckely I only lost my shoe in the ocean. Next day I came there I saw a sign at the pier that said 'Dangerous, No Trespassing' which I haven't seen that night. 

So what Fido said always be aware of your surroundings!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RammsteinDUDE said:

@Con Your indeed lucky you saw that big hole, could've ended differently. This reminds me somehow of the time when I was a kid and was exploring an old pier when it was dark outside. I was playing there with my brother when out of a sudden I slipt with one leg trough a hole. Luckely I only lost my shoe in the ocean. Next day I came there I saw a sign at the pier that said 'Dangerous, No Trespassing' which I haven't seen that night. 

So what Fido said always be aware of your surroundings!

Wow and at that age you probably would have drowned if the currents were too strong. I could never convey through a post just exactly how startling it was to see how close I had come to falling in that dark hole. I mean, it really is a miracle. I must have entered that room 15 times by now and I am very lucky. Trust me, walking by that room this morning I certainly told it, "You tried to hurt me, man."

Seriously, in an alternate dimension, I did fall and posted in here, What did you today?  I fell in a hole in a dark room and now I need surgery. I am very lucky. 

1 hour ago, Con said:

Wow and at that age you probably would have drowned if the currents were too strong. I could never convey through a post just exactly how startling it was to see how close I had come to falling in that dark hole. I mean, it really is a miracle. I must have entered that room 15 times by now and I am very lucky. Trust me, walking by that room this morning I certainly told it, "You tried to hurt me, man."

Seriously, in an alternate dimension, I did fall and posted in here, What did you today?  I fell in a hole in a dark room and now I need surgery. I am very lucky. 

1st, that is no shortcut, its a minefield. 
2nd, we have a saying in portugal that roughly translates that, if you take a shortcut, expect the unfortunate outcomes. 
3rd, that is trespassing, and you know that, right? 
4th, I would’ve done the same, and a shortcut is a shortcut... 😂

• Haha 1

On 10/21/2020 at 1:22 PM, Con said:

My co-worker brought this in today and asked me what its made of.....do any of you have any idea?

vepkiEM.jpg?1

We have ruled out Tin. And think it is probably lead. 

4SoSz9y.jpg?1

Probably lead. At one time it was heavily used in plumbing. Recently I mean. It is also the source of the word plumbing, a long time ago.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Spinnaker1981 said:

1st, that is no shortcut, its a minefield. 
2nd, we have a saying in portugal that roughly translates that, if you take a shortcut, expect the unfortunate outcomes. 
3rd, that is trespassing, and you know that, right? 
4th, I would’ve done the same, and a shortcut is a shortcut... 😂

Brother, you are absolutely right though, I shouldn't have been there and even less roaming around in a pitch black room like a j*cka** all those weeks, it really is a miracle i had not fallen in there like the third day after i discovered the room. The shortcut does not involve entering that room and walking around in the dark, that was all me.  Self-inflicted harm is the worst kind. 

You are a lucky man, Con. That could have ended badly.

Reminds me of a kayaking trip my Dad and his best friend took 10 years ago on a severely rain flooded river in KY. Dad returned home later that evening after a large scale rescue operation conducted by Fish and Wildlife and the KY State Police. Bobby on the other hand wasn't so lucky. His body was pulled from the river 5 days later.

Edited by Sinister
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Sinister said:

You are a lucky man, Con. That could have ended badly.

Reminds me of a kayaking trip my Dad and his best friend took 10 years ago on a severely rain flooded river in KY. Dad returned home later that evening after a large scale rescue operation conducted by Fish and Wildlife and the KY State Police. Bobby on the other hand wasn't so lucky. His body was pulled from the river 5 days later.

RIP Bobby. Sorry to hear about that.   

Today I was able to work on the old Ferd and finally get it finished.

123018151_148189023655721_11469343668869

Now for the customer to get it back to their shop and get the work body back on it and it back in service.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Fido_le_muet said:

Great idea about putting some kind of sign. Better safe than sorry and you could be a hero for saving someone's life ! DO IT ! 

On a personal note, my wife is a contact case for Covid so we're awaiting her test results...

Hope she will be fine!! 

I wanted to use a can of spray-paint I found and write "STAY OUT: NO FLOOR"   but it was empty, so this is the best thing I could do for now. 

PYiZbPA.jpg?2

Here is the room lit up, even the ceiling is f*cked.

PxO8kXs.jpg?3

Edited by Con
  • Like 2