What did you do today?

JustHatched

While getting an area ready for a new project, I came across a special Christmas present from almost 9 yrs ago.

The present was from a drag racer that I was friends with and helped him swap an engine and transmission at a race event the night before the Finals in the last race of that series. It was a tight race for the Championship and it was still up in the air on who would be Champ the next day. He had pushed the car a bit to far to get past this one guy and hurt the engine. We were pitted close and I had finished my runs for the day.

We finished up about 2AM and he won the event and the Championship the next day.

Some of you  racers and car nuts may know him and his famous Dad. He was Billy Glidden and his Dad was Multiyear NHRA Pro Stock Champion Bob Glidden.

Billy texted me about a month later and asked for a shipping address for a present he wanted to send me.

Just before Christmas, this came in. In know! I didn't keep it sealed up!

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

I only grow in living soil!
Because Fat Buds Matter!

I'm starting a gardening project, so I needed some fresh soil. I've been organic since a kid, but heavily into it since 1990.

I chose Roots Organics Original as a base and add my own selection of amendments for the plant I intend to grow with a "Living Soil" type grow in mind.

I didn't need a massive amount, 4.5 cubic ft, so I mixed it in a large plastic tote. Along with the potting soil, I added various rock powders for trace elements the plant will need.  The composting process will chelate (make it available for the plant) a good percentage of the minerals and the worms I'll add later will finish it.  I added a product that's 50/50 biochar and humic acid. The biochar has no nutritive value, but helps to retaining moisture and is housing for the good bacteria . The humic acid enhances overall plant health and especially root growth. I added a little earthworm castings from  nature's best gardener. The next was some chicken laying mash feed that is all non-gmo, fully organic with malted grains. Malted means the grain was soaked and sprouted until the tap root come out and then it is chopped. I'll use this as my worm food once I add them to my grow. Last, but certainly not least, I added mycorrhizal fungi. This is one of the cornerstone blocks of plant production. Mycorrhizal fungi forms a symbiotic relationship with the plant. The Mycorrhizal fungi provides the plant with the required nutrients and minerals and the plant gives the Mycorrhizal fungi some simple sugars. Mycorrhizal fungi breakdown DEAD plant material and don't attack the hand, or in this case, the root that feeds them. 😀

Composting is an art in as much as it is a science. You can wing it a bit, but there are scientific procedures that must be followed.  I add the ingredients in layers and wet as I go and then mix. Do this until you finish. Moisture is key. The mixture needs to be like a squeezed out sponge in moisture. Not enough and not much happens. Too much and bad anaerobic bacteria(no oxygen)  will thrive. You want aerobic  bacteria.  Anaerobic bacteria causes the awful smell and they produce toxins.

I made this around early afternoon and by night, I could tell a heat difference on the side of the tote. At sunrise this morning I checked the soil.  Heat was already radiating off the top as my hand approached it.  Digging down, the soil had already roughly 125F-130F.  With the relatively small amount of nitrogen(chicken feed) I added, by heating up to this degree and so quickly, this soil mix is screaming with biological activity! This should be a VERY productive grow.

spacer.png

Maybe you will appreciate this JustHatched

• Like 2

Because Fat Buds Matter!

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Schumi6581 said:

hope you have good dental insurance...

Hahahahaha a hahahahaha hahahahahaha HAHAHAHAHAHAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAH I’ve been working for this place for almost 20 years...you’d think at least I would DESERVE it by now. But nope. The company I work for has had steady huge growth since I arrived. I’m a hard worker and never call out sick. In fact, I go to the doctor once a year because I have to for a physical so while I get regular health insurance, I’ve only needed it for my appendix removal. This is America, pal and  only people like myself would give my employees eye and dental. Especially if my company and my investments thanks to 10+ years of solid National corporate profits, were at an all time high, I couldn’t live with myself if I didn’t do more for the people that break their backs for me. This dude could give me dental and still be rich. But you have to Love people besides your own in order to be that generous. Look if I worked for a struggling, barely above water company, I wouldn’t even be talking about this because I wouldn’t expect any health insurance. But this is America and I’ve been taught to just be happy A) I have a job and B) I have a job.

Edited by Con
  • Sad 1

Gearing up to go see the NEOWISE comet later this evening (finally).

Will share pics if I manage to snap some good shots (if I can find it at all!)

• Like 1

Finished the new house for my girlfriends. They should be very happy!:default_coolglare:

• Like 1

Because Fat Buds Matter!

Beautiful.

I got to see the comet last night. It is easily visible with the naked eye if you know where to look. Get away from light pollution for best effect but you can see it easy even in the city. It's wonderful to see with binoculars though. Can't miss it. 

It's a b*tch to photograph though 😅I snapped 60+ pics but only a handful turned out... meh. I'll try to go back just before dawn as it's the best time to see it, when it's brighter. My DSLR camera is decent but I don't master it well enough to get some great pics. Need more practice. Anyways, here are my 'best' attempts from tonight (taken with a 250mm lens)

M9tpexG.jpg

YiPrGLE.jpg

acArzht.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Fido_le_muet said:

Beautiful.

I got to see the comet last night. It is easily visible with the naked eye if you know where to look. Get away from light pollution for best effect but you can see it easy even in the city. It's wonderful to see with binoculars though. Can't miss it. 

It's a b*tch to photograph though 😅I snapped 60+ pics but only a handful turned out... meh. I'll try to go back just before dawn as it's the best time to see it, when it's brighter. My DSLR camera is decent but I don't master it well enough to get some great pics. Need more practice. Anyways, here are my 'best' attempts from tonight (taken with a 250mm lens)

M9tpexG.jpg

YiPrGLE.jpg

acArzht.jpg

Yup! Just a sight to see!

• Like 1

Because Fat Buds Matter!

Day 2 of comet watch session and found some good settings for the camera ! And the best part : all from the comfort of my own tiny backyard. 

FYI, it is very easily visible cause I have a lampost right in the face when looking at the comet and I can still see it and take decent photos. Must be a treat to see in a very rural area. 

sReIRgc.jpg

ivBl182.jpg

FYVLx0k.jpg

rfqt2sI.jpg

JiFqiiZ.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/19/2020 at 2:21 PM, Fido_le_muet said:

Day 2 of comet watch session and found some good settings for the camera ! And the best part : all from the comfort of my own tiny backyard. 

FYI, it is very easily visible cause I have a lampost right in the face when looking at the comet and I can still see it and take decent photos. Must be a treat to see in a very rural area. 

sReIRgc.jpg

ivBl182.jpg

FYVLx0k.jpg

rfqt2sI.jpg

JiFqiiZ.jpg

Tremendous!!! So if the Earth was flat, everyone would get to see it at the same time right?

• Haha 1

Looking at laptops. I really want a 17" screen for movie watching but I also want the keyboard backlit and for whatever reason, it is hard to find 17"ers with both...its unreal. I mean, back-lit keyboards should be standard in 17" models as the ones I like start at $1K. Im finding this to be more of a pain than fun. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not today, Last Thursday evening but whatever, lol.

Went to the Hospital early wednesday in lots of pain and was diagnosed with Cholecystitis. Infection was bad and the swelling was bad. Hospital said it was a smart decision to seek help. Thursday evening they performed a Cholecystectomy. After dealing with pain for multiple years I am hoping this eliminates it.

SInce pics or it didn't happen is a thing.....

5JmhhWu.jpg?1

I am NOT looking forward to the bill. Only have 8 days of Vacation that they split up to cover the 13 days (that we currently know of) of work I will miss.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sinister said:

Thursday evening they performed a Cholecystectomy. After dealing with pain for multiple years I am hoping this eliminates it.

SInce pics or it didn't happen is a thing.....

Just watched a YouTube video called Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy to see what you went through. I’m so glad you are on the road to feeling better. Turns out that procedure has become the eight most performed surgery in the United States. 
Thanks for sharing your story with us. Respect and good health brother and if there is anything I can do for you, just ask. 

• Like 1

Porthcawl beach in South Wales:FwkfkaJ.jpg

Not the best weather, although some didn't seem to care. Spent most of the time in the arcades 👍

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Con said:

Just watched a YouTube video called Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy to see what you went through. I’m so glad you are on the road to feeling better. Turns out that procedure has become the eight most performed surgery in the United States. 
Thanks for sharing your story with us. Respect and good health brother and if there is anything I can do for you, just ask. 

That's it. They explained it to me but one day I will watch a video of it. I really wanted to keep at least one stone but the packaged the entire thing up and sent it off to a lab. Since it had sludge and infection, touching any part of it probably isn't a smart thing anyways. The wife and I have matching scars now.

Now the small/painless Hernia I have had for years is giving me problems.

I am indeed making a turn to better health after all this, especially some diet changes. My chosen career field means I have to continue beating myself up (Hence the Hernia) but I need to go about things smarter because I'm not getting younger.

Thanks for the offer, things are going well right now. Just got our modem/router swapped out and internet is back up tro speed. I have the free time so I may as well hit up a couple of playlists.