The 2016-2017 Beautiful Game Thread

DavidCore89

Here, we can all talk about our clubs, countries, leagues, etc.

Champions League, Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A, Ligue 1, Eredivisie, Brazilian/Argentinian/Mexican/Russian Premier Leagues, MLS, or any other league, friendly, tournament, qualifier, etc. that you follow.

Pretty much a copy and paste of the thread that we had last season made by @SeymorScagneti :)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DavidCore89

• PapOiteE

• Crawford1872

• Banketelli

So Pogba is now the most expensive transfer ever :D

Will he and Zlatan be enough for them to reclaim the crown ?

Meanwhile, in Europa League news, my favorite team (St Etienne) lost against Wolfsburg. Hopefully they can do better at home during the return game.

My hometown (Tours) is playing in 2nd division. Hopefully they can stay there :D

My predictions for 2016/17 champions:

Premier League - Man Utd

Bundesliga - Borussia Dortmund

La Liga - Real Madrid

Seria A - Juventus

Liga NOS - Benfica

Ligue 1 - PSG

Champions League - Real Madrid

14 hours ago, Fido_le_muet said:

So Pogba is now the most expensive transfer ever :D

Will he and Zlatan be enough for them to reclaim the crown ?

Meanwhile, in Europa League news, my favorite team (St Etienne) lost against Wolfsburg. Hopefully they can do better at home during the return game.

My hometown (Tours) is playing in 2nd division. Hopefully they can stay there :D

Might take Pogba a while to settle in, he won't run the midfield like he did in Italy.

Similar story for Zlatan - no way will he match his goal tally of recent years, he'll find it much tougher, but I can see him getting 10+ goals in the league if he stays fit.

If Zlatan beats Andy Cole's record of 34 goals then I'll eat both of my shoes :)

Of course, it's great to have both players in the Premier League. It's the best league for the best players.

14 hours ago, Banketelli said:

Earlier today, van der Vaart joined Danish club, FC Midtjylland. Yep, van der Vaart in Danish football.:lol: Dude, just stop your career.

He was decent before he joined Spurs, but his lack of pace really made him stand out.

Mixed reactions about my team, Swansea City.

Sold club and international captain Ashley Williams for £12M to Everton, obviously the whole club are unhappy, he made over 300 appearances and won't be replaced very easily, but it was a transfer request so there's not much the club can do to stop it.

Made club record signing in Borja Baston from Atletico for £15M, but the Williams sale has taken the shine away from that.

We also sold Andre Ayew to the Hammers for £20.5M, I'm not too annoyed as we had him on a free a year ago, but we need to add more quality to our squad instead of adding £'s to the bank balance. 

Edited by DavidCore89

My team Rangers are doing alright, back in the top flight, great manager in mark warburton, 15th year of having a season ticket so don't expect to see me on GTA much on a saturday afternoon lol, tbh i think we'll struggle to win the league this year but we will finish second at least, the scottish game might not have much money but at the first game last weekend was a 50,000 sell out and we'll average over 45,000 all season easily

11 hours ago, Crawford1872 said:

My team Rangers are doing alright, back in the top flight, great manager in mark warburton, 15th year of having a season ticket so don't expect to see me on GTA much on a saturday afternoon lol, tbh i think we'll struggle to win the league this year but we will finish second at least, the scottish game might not have much money but at the first game last weekend was a 50,000 sell out and we'll average over 45,000 all season easily

Good to see them back in the top division, I'm sure they'll be fighting for the title again within a few years.

Watched two or three Rangers games so far this season, not a bad team, decent pace out wide. Barrie McKay looks a good player.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DavidCore89 said:

Good to see them back in the top division, I'm sure they'll be fighting for the title again within a few years.

Watched two or three Rangers games so far this season, not a bad team, decent pace out wide. Barrie McKay looks a good player.

Cheers and it is, although i did enjoy all the away trips up into the highlands to some cattle shed in the middle of nowhere :) and we still need a defender (can we please have kyle bartley back lol) and a clinical striker to have any chance this year, and yeah that manky mob across the city have done well with the likes of wanyama etc thats what we need to start doing also, 

was disappointing to see Williams leave you lot but after 8 years and for the margin you made it's fair cop from your board letting him leave, best of luck this season

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey have just found this thread. As much as I love soccer I'm not that into the euro leagues. Here in Australia we are dominated by football (Australian football league). The club I do follow and love is an A-league team here in Aus, Adelaide United. And trust me when I say I could spend every second of every day just talking sport (just ask Skorpion) I do follow Liverpool a bit and have since I was a young kid. I've played for the better part of my life even travelled earning a youth contract with Adelaide city before they renamed as united. But that fell apart as quick as it started with a motorbike crash.

• Like 1

Really shitty times to be a Swansea fan, especially after our magical rise through the football leagues playing such stylish football.

Terrible performance against United: 

Didn't touch the ball in the opposition penalty area until the 60th minute, no closing down, no desire and no creativity They just walked past us with ease time and time again :(

Millions of pounds of transfer fees not invested back into the playing staff, so we've got an EPL Championship team at best.

Clueless owners and an equally clueless manager.

Fans started to turn on the new American owners before half time with chants such as "Greedy yank bastards, we want our club back".

Uncharacteristically revolving door of managers since the stability of Martinez and Laudrup. 

Haven't won since August on the opening day of the season... : FIRE :

Edited by DavidCore89
Dead Video Link

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yaya Toure accepts 18 months driving ban and £54K fine for drink-driving despite Toure claiming "It is well known that I am a Muslim and do not drink. "I have always refused alcohol."

More than twice the UK legal limit in his breath, 75 micrograms.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38299308

Edited by DavidCore89

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My team, Saint Étienne just lost 3-0 against Manchester United :(

It's not cool cause they did a brilliant 1st half and got unlucky in the 2nd. MU were more efficient but 3-0 is too much. That penalty was pure fantasy. Good job referee... 

Shocking timing. They must have someone lined up. but still, in between a CHL tie..

It's really football at its worst. They should be building a statue of the man, not sacking him.

I think the problem lies with the players, unfortunately it's easier to get rid of the manager. 

Edited by Banketelli

Clearly panicking at the thought of being relegated and the financial loss that comes with it.

Apparently assistant Craig Shakespeare will take over for now, can't see much changing though, the players don't have the same cutting edge and desire as last season and teams know exactly how to deal with their style of play now.

Football is changing, it's 100% about the money now and I guess I can't blame the owner from a business point of view, but obviously Leicester fans around the world won't see it that way.

Last season they set the bar as high as it goes, they were never gonna repeat it, but relegation from the Premier League is now on the cards and that wage bill will need to be massively cut if they do go down.

• 3 weeks later...

Monacoooooo!!!!!!! I'm very proud of Leonardo Jardim. He is definetely the best portuguese manager at the moment. He has been doing great work.

Now guess which team Real Madrid is going to face at the quarter finals? Leicester City probably...

Edited by PapOiteE